PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats acquire TE Michael Matthews from Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was exaggerating it, but I really don't see him as an improvement to the team.. just another third string player.

He's a blocking tight end. You know what blocking tight ends do?

They block. :eek:

They usually don't get many catches because they're just to darn busy blocking.

I was exaggerating it, but I really don't see him as an improvement to the team.. just another third string player.

How many great BLOCKING (AKA another offensive lineman....) TE'S do the Pats have?
How come Graham was so effective?

I think you should step back and think about this.......

Last edited:
So we got rid of Thomas (an unknown) for an unknown blocking TE. Seemed like nothing happened. I agree with Tapdancin. Baker is a blocking TE.

He brings an important skill-set to the table, and one that the Pats did not previously have at their disposal. If you don't see the value in that, then you're doing a good job of living up to the ignorance of your username.

He brings an important skill-set to the table, and one that the Pats did not previously have at their disposal. If you don't see the value in that, then you're doing a good job of living up to the ignorance of your username.

Living up to the ignorance of my username? Obviously Maroney is just a terrible player and cannot even find a hole, therefore tap dancing and losing yards is his only solution.

Even if Matthews is the first decent blocking tight end since Daniel Graham, he's still not the solution. Graham could block but he was also a very good receiver, he started an average of about 13 games per season for the Patriots and even caught 7 TD's for us in 2004 along with 30 receptions. Matthews only started 11 out of 32 games which is only a little over 1/3 of both seasons, he's really not a flexible player.

Last edited:
So we got rid of Thomas (an unknown) for an unknown blocking TE. Seemed like nothing happened. I agree with Tapdancin. Baker is a blocking TE.

You're right except that Matthews is not an unknown and Baker can catch the ball. Good point otherwise.

Seeing that he played in all 16 games last season and only got 2 receptions for 26 yards, he looks like a scrub. If he's going to fill-in David Thomas's role, he better be able to block or getting rid of Thomas was a terrible move. :(

I don't see getting rid of David Thomas having any effect on the team.

I assume the braintrust considers Matthews a lateral move or an upgrade but not a step backwards.

I don't see getting rid of David Thomas having any effect on the team.

I assume the braintrust considers Matthews a lateral move or an upgrade but not a step backwards.

David Thomas proved that he could both catch and block and provides more flexibility than Michael Matthews. I don't see it as an improvement, nor do I think Matthews will ever be a difference maker with the Patriots. Baker can catch and provide some run blocking, he'll probably be used in most situations anyway.

Last edited:
David Thomas proved that he could both catch and block and provides more flexibility than Michael Matthews. I don't see it as an improvement, nor do I think Matthews will ever be a difference maker with the Patriots. Baker can catch and provide some run blocking, he'll probably be used in most situations anyway.

When the hell did Thomas ever prove he could block? If he'd ever proven that, he'd still be a member of the New England Patriots.

When the hell did Thomas ever prove he could block? If he'd ever proven that, he'd still be a member of the New England Patriots.

He blocked the hell out of the guy on 3rd and 1 against the Colts last year. :)

David Thomas averaged 7 catches, 87 yards, and .333 TD a year.

So yeah, not really someone who will be missed.

Michael Mathews at the very least is a much better blocking tight end than Thomas.

First, your sig is huge. Heh. Second, Baker is going to be primarily used as a pass catching receiver in this offense. Matthews was blot in for his blocking expertise. Now let's hope he's good enough at that to make us forget about Mr. Graham.

Thomas was used as a blocking tight end, and that definitely doesn't necessarily mean he would still be a member of Patriots. He could both block and catch, however he recently hasn't been getting the blocking done. Like I recently stated, he provides more flexibility than Matthews who is a pure blocking FB type of TE.

Thomas was used as a blocking tight end, and that definitely doesn't necessarily mean he would still be a member of Patriots. He could both block and catch, however he recently hasn't been getting the blocking done. Like I recently stated, he provides more flexibility than Matthews who is a pure blocking FB type of TE.

Yeah. That David Thomas sure was lighting it up on the field for catch after catch, wasn't he?

If Thomas could block well, then they wouldn't have brought in a TE who can do nothing but block to replace him. The only memorable block that David Thomas ever threw was a penalty that probably cost us the Indy game last year. Belichick gave him every opportunity to prove that he could block well enough to stay on the roster, and he couldn't do it. That said, I *still* thought that the TEs were in pretty good shape with Watson/Baker/Thomas, so I'm feeling awfully good right now...

Dunno why you keep insisting that Thomas was good. He never demonstrated any notable talent in any aspect of the game. Is it because he caught passes from Vince Young in college, or because he was a third round pick? Because I def. don't know what else you could be basing this on. How can you could consider him equally as proven as a guy who has been a key cog and part-time starter in one of the league's top running games for the last 2 years?

Last edited:

Thomas was a lousy blocker. If he wasn't a lousy blocker, he'd be a member of the New England Patriots.

Thomas was never a quality NFL receiving tight end. If he had been a quality NFL receiving tight end, he'd be a member of the New England Patriots.

I hope he has a great career for his new team. I don't expect it to happen.

Last edited:

Apparently BB disagrees. ;)

Thomas was a lousy blocker. If he wasn't a lousy blocker, he'd be a member of the New England Patriots.

Thomas was never a quality NFL receiving tight end. If he had been a quality NFL receiving tight end, he'd be a member of the New England Patriots.

I hope he has a great career for his new team. I don't expect it to happen.

I see some contradiction here.

So since you're claiming Thomas would be a member of the Patriots if he could both block and receive well, why isn't Matthews still a member of the Giants? Probably because he provided little to no flexibility to them?

Nice move -- I've always liked this kid Matthews. He is huge and strong. He's an excellent blocker, which will help the tackles and in 3 wide looks. He fits in perfectly and now there's a blend of talent at the TE position. He's not going to stretch the middle w/his lack of speed but that's not what the Pats will ask him to do, that will be Watson's role. Baker is a solid blocker and receiver and that's why he starts.

Hard to know what we ever have at the TE position.

With what we have invested in it..........

I see some contradiction here.

So since you're claiming Thomas would be a member of the Patriots if he could both block and receive well, why isn't Matthews still a member of the Giants? Probably because he provided little to no flexibility to them?

No, I'm claiming that he'd be a member of the Patriots if he could do either of them well. That's why they were pointed out in separate sentences and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back