PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 2014 Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
"However even if they are vastly improved "on paper", there is still the matter of playing the games, and they are all too uncertain to be cavalier about assuming 12-14 wins. Besides, every team is going to improve this off season. Every team has reason for hope at this time of the year. 28 teams will all be picking ahead of us, and over 96% of this VERY talented draft are going wind up playing against us."

Oh, please. That's a load of crap. Seven NFL teams have new head coaches and all the change that goes with that. At least five others, including the esteemed Jets and Dolphins, almost fired their head coaches. A bucket load of teams are looking for a quarterback, and those that are, will be picking guys in the 1st Round that collectively we know aren't top-tier QBs. There's no Andrew Luck in this draft.

How many teams pulled off a Darrelle Revis addition this offseason? The Patriots get better just getting their guys back from injury in addition to Revis, Browner and Lafell joining the show.

The Pats get the NFC North in 2014. Big deal. The Bears got better by unloading a 34-year-old DE and by bringing in a 33-year-old DE? The Lions? Are they any better than 8-8? The Vikings? The only team worth a damn is the Packers. The Patriots are the bump in the road on their schedule. Those teams love the idea of playing the Bills (new coach) and the chaotic Jets and Dolphins.

Not everybody gets better. And they certainly aren't getting better the way the Pats are getting better. Enjoy it, ladies and gentlemen.

"However even if they are vastly improved "on paper", there is still the matter of playing the games, and they are all too uncertain to be cavalier about assuming 12-14 wins. Besides, every team is going to improve this off season. Every team has reason for hope at this time of the year. 28 teams will all be picking ahead of us, and over 96% of this VERY talented draft are going wind up playing against us."

Oh, please. That's a load of crap. Seven NFL teams have new head coaches and all the change that goes with that. At least five others, including the esteemed Jets and Dolphins, almost fired their head coaches. A bucket load of teams are looking for a quarterback, and those that are, will be picking guys in the 1st Round that collectively we know aren't top-tier QBs. There's no Andrew Luck in this draft.

How many teams pulled off a Darrelle Revis addition this offseason? The Patriots get better just getting their guys back from injury in addition to Revis, Browner and Lafell joining the show.

The Pats get the NFC North in 2014. Big deal. The Bears got better by unloading a 34-year-old DE and by bringing in a 33-year-old DE? The Lions? Are they any better than 8-8? The Vikings? The only team worth a damn is the Packers. The Patriots are the bump in the road on their schedule. Those teams love the idea of playing the Bills (new coach) and the chaotic Jets and Dolphins.

Not everybody gets better. And they certainly aren't getting better the way the Pats are getting better. Enjoy it, ladies and gentlemen.

For me, it's not the actual teams that concern me. It's more of the fact that we open the season on the road in MIA in Sept, then have back to back away games to start for the first time in 11 years, followed by a stretch of seeing them on the road in 3/4 first games.

That is then followed by a stretch of seeing them play in primetime in 3/4 next games for weeks 4, 5, and 7.

It's also having all 3 division winners from the AFC (DEN, CIN, IND) having the benefit of having 10 days rest (DEN) prior to playing us, or 14 days rest (CIN, IND).

The thought of also going on the road to end the season in weeks 13, 14, and 16 for another 3/4 game stretch adds to the challenge, as do the west coast trips back and forth.

In other words, I couldn't care less about the specific opponents in and of itself, but when you add the fact that the schedule makers didn't do us any favors on top of that, it seems to be more challenging than I initially expected.

Feel a lot better about playing Indy coming off of our bye after the Broncos.

For me, it's not the actual teams that concern me. It's more of the fact that we open the season on the road in MIA in Sept, then have back to back away games to start for the first time in 11 years, followed by a stretch of seeing them on the road in 3/4 first games.

That is then followed by a stretch of seeing them play in primetime in 3/4 next games for weeks 4, 5, and 7.

It's also having all 3 division winners from the AFC (DEN, CIN, IND) having the benefit of having 10 days rest (DEN) prior to playing us, or 14 days rest (CIN, IND).

The thought of also going on the road to end the season in weeks 13, 14, and 16 for another 3/4 game stretch adds to the challenge, as do the west coast trips back and forth.

In other words, I couldn't care less about the specific opponents in and of itself, but when you add the fact that the schedule makers didn't do us any favors on top of that, it seems to be more challenging than I initially expected.

The Patriots always play the other Division winners, because they always win the AFCE. The byes are what they are. The Colts can't be happy to get the Pats off of a bye week.

The byes are what they are. The Colts can't be happy to get the Pats off of a bye week.

The fact that we play ALL of the 3 division winners coming off of 10-14 days rest is certainly something worth noting as being an additional challenge. Let's not act like this happens every year...

This, and the other things that I pointed out are worth noting as challenges for sure.

The positives are the placement of the bye week (week 10), which is good. The other obvious positive is the fact that we have 4/5 home games during one stretch.

It's not meant as a pessimistic post. It's more to point out the challenges that are more than obvious and don't occur all that often, such as opening the season in MIA, starting the season with back to back away games for the first time since 2003, and playing all 3 AFC division winners coming off of 10-14 days rest. Those are notable, as are the 3/4 primetime stretch, and the 3/4 away games in weeks 13, 14, and 16 at the end of the year with a west coast trip mixed in the middle.

Facts are facts, this is only the 6th or 7th time in 31 years that we play at MIA in Sept, and haven't opened a season with back to back away games in 11 years. And Indy shouldn't be too concerned with playing us coming off of a bye, because they have the exact same situation. Both teams are coming off of byes, so how could IND really complain?

Last edited:
Feel a lot better about playing Indy coming off of our bye after the Broncos.

I guess...

I don't see any kind of advantage for us, considering that IND is coming off of the same exact bye week though.

I guess...

I don't see any kind of advantage for us, considering that IND is coming off of the same exact bye week though.

Didn't realize it was their bye week as well, but I still like BB's record coming off the bye.

For the 11th year in a row, I predict 13-3, 1st round bye

Unless Goodell somehow pushes the playoff expansion through this year, which seems like an outside possibility. While all of the other owners are fine with having it implemented for the 2015 season, Goodell went out of his way to remind everyone today that "we will be discussing it, and possibly voting on it" at the 5/20 owner's meetings next month.

From our perspective, I'd rather put it off as long as possible with the hopes of still having the #2 seed as a possibility for a bye. The new playoff expansion could help though, once Brady retires. Who knows when we'll need a little help battling for that 7 seed?

Didn't realize it was their bye week as well, but I still like BB's record coming off the bye.

Yeah, it's really one more "challenge able" aspect to our 2014 schedule--the fact that we have to play a team coming off a bye during our own damn bye.

Like I said, I think there are some positives too such as the good placement of our bye week at #10 + the 4/5 home game stretch, but I don't see how the schedule makers did us any favors either.

Yeah, it's really one more "challenge able" aspect to our 2014 schedule--the fact that we have to play a team coming off a bye during our own damn bye.

Like I said, I think there are some positives too such as the good placement of our bye week at #10 + the 4/5 home game stretch, but I don't see how the schedule makers did us any favors either.

Exactly especially with 4 of our 6 first games being on the road. Starting with @Miami in the heat of the afternoon

I guess...

I have Indy as 1 of the losses.

Indy will be out for revenge for the playoff beat down.

Speaking of Indy, that week one meeting with Denver is going to be epic. I hope they beat the absolute **** out of one another.

Speaking of Indy, that week one meeting with Denver is going to be epic. I hope they beat the absolute **** out of one another.
At this point I would just bet on seeing a high scoring game where the offenses move with ease. Something like 45-35.

At this point I would just bet on seeing a high scoring game where the offenses move with ease. Something like 45-35.
Not sure about that. Indy's defense against the pass isn't actually that bad and Denver's back end improved with Ward and Talib. Plus, this will be in Week 1 so Talib's hip issue should still be at least four weeks away from flaring up.

Not sure about that. Indy's defense against the pass isn't actually that bad and Denver's back end improved with Ward and Talib. Plus, this will be in Week 1 so Talib's hip issue should still be at least four weeks away from flaring up.
For some reason I usually see those opening night games go high scoring. I thought last years BAL vs DEN game would be somewhat low but that went out the door pretty fast in the second half.

Week 1: at Dolphins -- Sept. 7, 1 p.m. Win

Week 2: at Vikings -- Sept. 14, 1 p.m. Win

Week 3: vs. Raiders -- Sept. 21, 1 p.m. Win

Week 4: at Chiefs -- Sept. 29, 8:30 p.m. Win

Week 5: vs. Bengals -- Oct. 5, 8:30 p.m. Loss

Week 6: at Bills -- Oct. 12, 1 p.m. Win

Week 7: vs. Jets -- Oct. 16, 8:25 p.m. (TNF) Win(Vick is the Starting QB)

Week 8: vs. Bears -- Oct. 26, 1 p.m. (FOX) Win

Week 9: vs. Broncos -- Nov. 2, 4:25 p.m. Win

Week 10: Bye week

Week 11: at Colts -- Nov. 16, 8:30 p.m. (SNF) Win

Week 12: vs. Lions -- Nov. 23, 1 p.m. (FOX) Loss

Week 13: at Packers -- Nov. 30, 4:25 p.m. Loss

Week 14: at Chargers -- Dec. 7, 8:30 p.m. (SNF) Win

Week 15: vs. Dolphins -- Dec. 14, 1 p.m. Win(head coach has already been fired)

Week 16: at Jets -- Dec. 21, 1 p.m. Win(Rex has been fired, Geno is back to starting)

Week 17: vs. Bills -- Dec. 28, 1 p.m. Win

I see us going 13-3 Unless our O-line improves a lot, the Lions are going to walk all over us. aaron rogers is going to play lights out, and the bengals are always a tough match for us for some reason.

I also added a couple of predictions about teams who will be losing head coaches, and the jets musical chairs at QB.
Interesting how perception differs from reality.
Not really giving you a hard time here, just pointing out for accuracy.
Before last year, we had played the Bengals 4 times in 10 years, and we were 4-0 with scores of 35-28, 38-13, 34-13, 38-24.

Putting words in other people's mouths is fun. Maybe I think the other 3 AFC East teams could improve or already have?
Not sure where I put words in your mouth. Just pointed out that to think a team that totally dominates its division for a decade will now be medicore against it is implying either team has deteriorated or you think the entire division is 12-4 teams. You don't think that do you?
Honestly were you aware of the record against the division, or did you just assume 'division games are always tough'?

For some reason I usually see those opening night games go high scoring. I thought last years BAL vs DEN game would be somewhat low but that went out the door pretty fast in the second half.
It may be. That would be pretty entertaining as well.

Still don't get it, do you.
Of course I don't because you are saying the team will make you happy by having a poor season compared to what it has done for over a decade.

First there is a big difference between being "happy" with just getting into the playoffs with a 10-6 record and being OK with it. The only thing that matters in the regular season is being good enough to get into the playoffs. I'm OK with being 10-6 and in the tourney, even though I'd be happier to be 13-3 and have a first round bye (you see I too have a "keen sense of the obvious" ;) )
You said you would be OK with 10-6 and 11-5 would be excellent. That is an extremely low bar given the history of this team under BB and Brady.

Second, no one here has been more optimistic about what the Pats have been doing this off season. They are very much improved over the team that finished the season. Just by getting back the injured improves us greatly. Having so many rookies who played significant snaps as rookies (9) should improve us further as they enter their 2nd year. Now add the FA's and the pot starts to boil over. AND if they have a great draft, they will have made a big leap over even that lofty estimation.
So why would you be happy if they perform worse than they have in a number of years?

However even if they are vastly improved "on paper", there is still the matter of playing the games, and they are all too uncertain to be cavalier about assuming 12-14 wins. Besides, every team is going to improve this off season. Every team has reason for hope at this time of the year. 28 teams will all be picking ahead of us, and over 96% of this VERY talented draft are going wind up playing against us.
No, some teams will improve and some will decline. You are clearly putting the Patriots in decline if you are good with 10-6 because they were a 12-4 team last year. Your are implying they are a 9-7 to 10- 6 team now.

Never forget how slim the margin is between victory and defeat in the NFL. So even if we do improve as much we hope, the VAST majority of our games this season are still likely to be decided by around a TD, and subject to all kinds of possible bounces, calls, and assorted bad luck.
That has been the case every year, nothing is changed.

3. Finally we have to face the reality, that it truly is Superbowl or bust with this franchise.
Then how could you poosibly be OK with a team that hasn't won a SB in 10 years having its worse season in those 10 years?
What the that 2013 accomplished despite all the adversity was truly remarkable. BB was very proud of them, and so was I. Yet we all know that the end of the season ended with a bitter, bitter taste in our mouths.
So how are you 'happy' if they do not get better?

Think about it. A better spot in the 2006 AFCCG, and we likely win a superbowl. Any one of about a dozen plays change or even if Steven Neal doesn't go down the first series in 2007, we win a superbowl. The same in 2011. If Gronk was healthy. If we fall on just ONE of the 4 Giant fumbles. If Welker makes the catch. Just one of them, and we win in 2011.
What does this have to do with LOWERING your goal?

That's another 4 titles and none of us would be feeling the frustration we feel now. Literally 4 plays, and there would be 4 more titles. But the fact is that when we won the first 3, we somehow "got" those plays/calls/bounces.

Only about once in a generation does a team like the 85 Bears blow through the league and win dominantly. Now more than every, you need some luck to win it all. But it DOES take skill, perseverance, good planning and expertise to get to the playoffs.
I don't understand how this applies to being happy with 11-5

Bottom like whether its 10-6 or 13-3 or somewhere in between. Just get me to the dance. Get me there with a bye and I'll be even happier
I think you are selling this team short. I think your goal would be a fine one for the Jets. If the Patriots do what you will be happy or good with, I will consider the regular season a large failure, given the expectations we should have.

Miami and the Jets each beat the Patriots last season, and the Bills had the lead against the Patriots in week one, until the last 9 seconds of the 4th quarter.

Some of you might want to hold off on counting all those chickens on the schedule.

So they were 4-2 in 2013.
Prior to that they were
6-0
5-1
5-1
4-2
4-2
6-0
4-2
5-1
5-1
5-1

Thats 53-13 and a winning division record every single season.
Where is 'losing to every division opponent' support in there.
Its not counting chickens, unless you found someone who made a guarantee, its using common sense to assess an expectation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes