PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 2011 pick from Oakland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other possibilities include Robert Quinn, Greg Romeus and Cameron Heyward. All much better than what we could get for the pick in 2010, I suspect.

Not a big fan of the prospective talent in 2011, but wouldn't mind keeping the pick and getting a Cameron Heyward instead of Ndamakong Suh or Patrick Peterson instead of Joe Haden. Greg Romeus is interesting to me, as well as Michael Floyd (but that is because I'm an Irish fan).

Unfortunately, I don't see a McClain, Spikes, Eric Berry, Bradford or Greshem in next year's draft. Admittedly, I haven't done all my research either.

Keep the pick, though.

Take an Odrick or a Graham this year, then next year take one of the Fab Four (preferably AJ Green or Jonathan Baldwin) with the Raiders pick and Jared Crick with our pick.

Solved.

Brady's replacement is just finishing his freshman year of HIGH SCHOOL. Brady will play at a very high level for another 6-8 years before hanging them up in the HOF. We don't need to become like other teams by deperately taking a high 1st round QB. They will likely draft another late round or UFA QB and seeing if they find another gem but that's it.

Agreed. I don't understand why people want to use a First Round Pick on Brady's replacement so soon. Brady has said he wants to play until he's 40. Now he may not make it there, but he at least has 4-6 years left. Under a new rookie wage scale, First Round Picks will likely only have 4 year contracts. So you may have to sign your 2011 1st future franchise QB (Locker, whoever) to an extension before Brady retires. Makes little sense. Brady's replacement will likely be a long-term developmental guy who the Patriots picked in the middle rounds in 2012 or 2013. Or maybe its Hoyer. Who knows. But it won't be a 2011 first round pick.

P.S. Early Prediction on the OAK pick: Julio Jones, WR, Alabama.

Is anybody in this draft worth giving that pick up? I only ask because it is very possible Oakland could have the first pick in the 2011 draft which could involve slotting rookie pay. My ideal scenario would be for the Pats to keep that pick and have a legitimate shot at Jake Locker from Washington. Have him learn under Brady for a couple of years, and then have him move into the starting role. The idea of having a top of the line drop back passer who runs a 4.4 learning from Brady is something we should all be excited about. I don't think anyone in this draft is worth giving up that potential chance. If we want to give up our own 2011 pick, I have no problem with that, but I would really like to have a serious shot at Locker.

Rolando McClain from Alabama, aside from Brady there is not one player that I wouldn't give up for him. Big, with a huge frame (6'3 258lbs), Fast, and only getting faster (4.68 forty), Smart, was considered by most analysts as the smartest LB in college, Young, only 20 years old, and played for Nick Saban. This kind of LB comes around once every 10 years. Being that this draft is stocked, he should fall to #10. WE NEED HIM, to serve as the centerpiece of the defense to build around for the next 10 years. Mark my words, this guy is Ray Lewis without the off-the-field issues.

Future picks have less value if you trade them for a pick this year. I don't think BB has ever done that, he has done the opposite several times though for that very reason. Although it seems hard to believe, we do have enough picks this year to address the dire needs IMO, that's even ignoring what we do in FA.

Rolando McClain from Alabama, aside from Brady there is not one player that I wouldn't give up for him. Big, with a huge frame (6'3 258lbs), Fast, and only getting faster (4.68 forty), Smart, was considered by most analysts as the smartest LB in college, Young, only 20 years old, and played for Nick Saban. This kind of LB comes around once every 10 years. Being that this draft is stocked, he should fall to #10. WE NEED HIM, to serve as the centerpiece of the defense to build around for the next 10 years. Mark my words, this guy is Ray Lewis without the off-the-field issues.

McClain would look great in this defense, but I expect him to go in the top five overall (especially after the combine). There's no way we're moving up that far and paying the salary that goes with it. If he slips to the 7-10 range, I could see BB giving it some thought. Personally, I would like to see Dansby signed and placed next to Mayo and fill the various other needs through the draft.

McClain would look great in this defense, but I expect him to go in the top five overall (especially after the combine). There's no way we're moving up that far and paying the salary that goes with it. If he slips to the 7-10 range, I could see BB giving it some thought. Personally, I would like to see Dansby signed and placed next to Mayo and fill the various other needs through the draft.

I think he will definitely slip to 9-10. Any other year he is a top 5 pick for sure. This year is stocked though. The two DT Suh and McCoy, The OT from Oklahoma State, CB Haden from Florida, the there is always a QB in the top 5 (Claussen and Bradford). Add a workout warrior that usually goes top ten and MacClain has high potential to slip. Especially since McClain projects as a true ILB in a 3-4, and does not project well to ILB in a 4-3.

The ideal scenario would as you mentioned above. But, we don't draft Locker. We trade the 1st overall to a crappy team in need of a qb picking about 5th. Let's say Seattle. We get their 1st in 2011 and their 1st in 2012 like the Eli Manning trade. We still get our defensive stud or wr. And, we have a good shot at a top pick in 2012. Richard Seymour=Could become the gift that keeps on giving.

All this and then use the pick to draft AJ Green, from Georgia, the NEXT Randy Moss.....

I think he will definitely slip to 9-10. Any other year he is a top 5 pick for sure. This year is stocked though. The two DT Suh and McCoy, The OT from Oklahoma State, CB Haden from Florida, the there is always a QB in the top 5 (Claussen and Bradford). Add a workout warrior that usually goes top ten and MacClain has high potential to slip. Especially since McClain projects as a true ILB in a 3-4, and does not project well to ILB in a 4-3.

I cant see McClain slipping all the way down to 9-10. He is definitely a top 5 pick and if he slips to 6-8 any team picking there would jump all over him and the phone would definitely be ringing off the hook with teams looking to move up and steal him. I cant see the Pats being one of those teams looking to move up that far.

Don't forget the possibility of the 2 safeties going before him.... As usual, it's going to come down to talent vs. need.

Brady will play at a very high level for another 6-8 years before hanging them up in the HOF.

You sure about that?

I'd say 6 seasons is the max

He isn't a Favre looking for his last chance at glory in an action packed but disappointing career.

Unless this team finds him some targets and some protection I can see football getting old fast for Tom

Don't forget the possibility of the 2 safeties going before him.... As usual, it's going to come down to talent vs. need.

How well do you think the piece of paper from this trade will progress in the offseason? Do you think it will be a bigger force in 2010? Inquiring minds want to know

Will BB trade this pick for 3 good picks in 2010?

How well do you think the piece of paper from this trade will progress in the offseason? Do you think it will be a bigger force in 2010? Inquiring minds want to know

:confused:

My post was in regards to where McClain will be drafted. There are two big name safeties that could, theoretically, get picked before McClain as of right now.

Last edited:
You sure about that?

I'd say 6 seasons is the max

He isn't a Favre looking for his last chance at glory in an action packed but disappointing career.

Unless this team finds him some targets and some protection I can see football getting old fast for Tom

Brady has stated that he wants to keep playing as long as he can, and Favre should have been the league's MVP this season, at the age of 40. I'm not sure how looking at Favre would be anything but an inspiration for Brady, Manning and every other QB in the NFL.

Brady has stated that he wants to keep playing as long as he can, and Favre should have been the league's MVP this season, at the age of 40. I'm not sure how looking at Favre would be anything but an inspiration for Brady, Manning and every other QB in the NFL.

If he continues playing the way he did in 09 season, i would love to see him gone.

If he continues playing the way he did in 09 season, i would love to see him gone.

I'm sure most of us would love to see you gone. But, we can't always get what we want... can we?

The new england patriots select
***running back mark ingram alabama !!!

Is anybody in this draft worth giving that pick up? I only ask because it is very possible Oakland could have the first pick in the 2011 draft which could involve slotting rookie pay. My ideal scenario would be for the Pats to keep that pick and have a legitimate shot at Jake Locker from Washington. Have him learn under Brady for a couple of years, and then have him move into the starting role. The idea of having a top of the line drop back passer who runs a 4.4 learning from Brady is something we should all be excited about. I don't think anyone in this draft is worth giving up that potential chance. If we want to give up our own 2011 pick, I have no problem with that, but I would really like to have a serious shot at Locker.

Jake Locker? Why a player that isn't very good and gets hurt so much? Sure, he is a gritty player and all that, but he makes poor decisions, isn't a pocket passer, and has had knee trouble already.

:confused:

My post was in regards to where McClain will be drafted. There are two big name safeties that could, theoretically, get picked before McClain as of right now.

I know that. I just never get tired of hearing you talk about that piece of paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots