PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 2 Key Aces Up their Sleeve: Faulk and........

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Givens rookie #'s are]12 Games 9 Catches 92 Yards 10.2 1 TD

But those meagre numbers still don't make his rookie season disappointing or a failure. Givens was an unknown 7th rounder. Those a pretty good stats for a 7th rounder. Jackson is a bust because of expectations. Perhaps we hyped him up too much, but he hasn't performed like how we thought he was going to.

Last edited:
........Chad Jackson.

The scouting reports also say that the SD D has been guilty of over-pursuit at times. End arounds and double reverses (Charlie Weis' faves - to the consternation of us all) may find their way into the Pats game this week.

I'd be a little hesitant to run reverses in this game If I were the Pats.

I'd be a little hesitant to run reverses in this game If I were the Pats.

Reverses actually take advantage of a teams's speed and aggression. Over aggressive, pass rushing Ends like Merriman are usually the ones you try to victimize. Disciplined DE's and OLB's kill reverses.

But those meagre numbers still don't make his rookie season disappointing or a failure. Givens was an unknown 7th rounder. Those a pretty good stats for a 7th rounder. Jackson is a bust because of expectations. Perhaps we hyped him up too much, but he hasn't performed like how we thought he was going to.

I don't like the use of the word "bust" just because a guy didn't live up to our expectations. Unless a guy is a first rounder, there is no reason to expect greatness from anyone in their first year, particularly a guy who missed nearly all of his first training camp.

I am not saying that I buy into Jackson being an ace in this game (although I will be surprised if NE doesn't run at least one reverse in this game, Jackson or no), but there is no reason for Jackson to be as villified as he is. Even BB gets defensive about it bringing up people like Dillon and Warren.

There are no first year wide receiver busts in the NFL. The only way for a rookie receiver to be a bust is if he doesn't make his team. Everything else is gravy, particularly when the receiver is a 21 year old kid. A bunch of idiots expected 180 catches for 2500 yards and the kid didn't reach that oh-so-reasonable plateau, so what?

Then again, wasn't I reading a lot of "Caldwell sucks" stuff here in the beginning of the year? Fortunately, the New England Patriots front office is light years ahead of the fan base.

Reverses actually take advantage of a teams's speed and aggression. Over aggressive, pass rushing Ends like Merriman are usually the ones you try to victimize. Disciplined DE's and OLB's kill reverses.

Exactly. I think where Kurtinelson is wrong is that speedy, aggressive, blitz happy D's more often overpursue and (later in the game) could be lulled into being way off on a double reverse.

Exactly. I think where Kurtinelson is wrong is that speedy, aggressive, blitz happy D's more often overpursue and (later in the game) could be lulled into being way off on a double reverse.

I think a reverse would be better. A double reverse just sends a guy right back into the overpursuing defenders.

I think a reverse would be better. A double reverse just sends a guy right back into the overpursuing defenders.

My bad. You're right. I was mispronunciating my dictational diction and over exceeding my redundancies!

........Chad Jackson.

Yup, I'll probably get villified here for this, but follow the reasoning.

Jackson has been running better the past few weeks, the groin injury seems to have dissipated.

That front 7 of San Diego will be crowding the box and sending the posse after Brady - - they saw what happened in Miami and against Detroit with the blitzing and they have that style.

Brady is obviously going to have to get rid of the ball very quickly so look for a lot of cuts/slants.......but also a few quick screens to the sidelines. Also, a quick timing pattern deep down the sideline to test the mediocre SD secondary. The scouting reports also say that the SD D has been guilty of over-pursuit at times. End arounds and double reverses (Charlie Weis' faves - to the consternation of us all) may find their way into the Pats game this week.

Jackson is the wildcard in this game. SD does not have much film on him, and here is where the Pats can give themselves some breathing room against 8 in the box.

Along with this, I expect a big game from Kevin Faulk. His backfield blitz pickup is very good and his jitterbug style will complement Maroney's cutting style. I agree with Reiss and Borges (pain>>>>) that Corey Dillon's run style doesn't really match up well with the SD D.

Good call shmessy. This is the playoffs where one or two plays can be huge.

I don't think he'll have a Gaffney type breakout game, but I'm very encouraged by his statements recently after his 2 good punts.

Just want to be a good backup for Faulk? I love it.

This squad has become a team since Miami and Maroney and Jackson are seeing what veteran leadership is about in the playoffs.

It's a beautiful thing.

Plus Mr. Brady needs to lead him about 10 more yards *cough*

The kids got some wheels, Tom.:D

Bolts have sleves as well..............

........Chad Jackson.

Jackson has been running better the past few weeks, the groin injury seems to have dissipated.

That front 7 of San Diego will be crowding the box and sending the posse after Brady - - they saw what happened in Miami and against Detroit with the blitzing and they have that style.

Brady is obviously going to have to get rid of the ball very quickly so look for a lot of cuts/slants.......but also a few quick screens to the sidelines. Also, a quick timing pattern deep down the sideline to test the mediocre SD secondary. The scouting reports also say that the SD D has been guilty of over-pursuit at times. End arounds and double reverses (Charlie Weis' faves - to the consternation of us all) may find their way into the Pats game this week.

Jackson is the wildcard in this game. SD does not have much film on him, and here is where the Pats can give themselves some breathing room against 8 in the box.

Along with this, I expect a big game from Kevin Faulk. His backfield blitz pickup is very good and his jitterbug style will complement Maroney's cutting style. I agree with Reiss and Borges (pain>>>>) that Corey Dillon's run style doesn't really match up well with the SD D.

Post deleted:

[This SD fan is welcomed here to stay on subject but not for hijacking this (or any other) thread about the Patriots with unrequested smack about what the SD Chargers can do with their own "aces up their sleeves".]

Think about it. SD has the best front seven we have seen all season (until we face Baltimore next week!).

Their one weak link is that secondary. The only question is how can we get to that secondary when either:
a) The front 7 will be piled on top of Brady within 2 seconds
b) Graham and/or Watson-Thomas will have to block on the line alot
or
3) Brady is going to have to throw alot of sideline screens and quicklob go patterns in this game just to get at that secondary.

On those particular plays (#3) why wouldn't the Pats have CJackson in there for those situations?

My guess is that, for whatever reason, Jackson is just not picking up his option reads and is therefore a liability in most circumstances. They're only using him for flys and reverses, i.e. predetermined routes and runs. Especially against a 3-4 blitzing team, Brady needs his receivers to run routes based on the same pre and post snap reads that he makes. A receiver being in the wrong place could lead to a sack or an interception. I suspect that Jackson can't yet be trusted to make the right reads. Just speculating, but probably because of lack of concentration or poor work habits. He seems to be a smart but immature kid -- with way more talent than any other wr on the squad. He has the highest DVOA by far of all our wrs, meaning that he catches the ball and makes something happen when Brady does go to him. The problem is that they're not even trying to go to him except in very limited circumstances. My guess is that he's not learned how to run routes based on the same reads as Brady, so they can't rely on him to run the right route the way they rely on Caldwell and Brown, and now Gaffney, or even Kite.

Last edited:
He's a bust. If Caldwell and Gaffney are outperforming him, just bench him and be done with it. PK Sam showed more than this kid did.

Excellent thinking. Let's limit our options tomorrow!

Chad Jackson breaks out: 2 catches in the same game.

Chad Jackson breaks out: 2 catches in the same game.

That's all I'm asking. And maybe an end around.

Just a different wrinkle for our O to throw at SD who won't have much film on CJ.

........Chad Jackson.

I disagree that Jackson is anything near a wildcard. If there is a wildcard, it is two fold. First, can we slow up LT? Second , can we give Brady enough time? Obviously, Jackson has nothing to do with slowing LT. On the second, I suppose Jackson could be a factor if our OL sufficiently stops the blitz. He isn't necessary however. Brady has guys to throw the ball to who will make plays. If the SD pass rush is successful against us, the slants/cuts you speak of just aren't going to be enough (short of our D keeping them off the scoreboard too). He has got to be given some time! If Brady is hit enough , his game will be off even on the plays he gets some time (like every other QB). The wildcard is can our OL give him time consistently enough to get some momentum going in the passing game.......

I like screens to Faulk and Maroney. And the slant pass to Chad Jackson is an excellent idea. His talent pushes NE's talent level much higher--if he can only get his act together.

I've also thought Jackson's speed could be used on a "hook and ladder" play.

You never know. Jackson could be this game's Gaffney for all we know. I could see a long bomb (of course) and a trick reverse going to Jackson and seeing if he can break a big gain against SD's overpursuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back