PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 1st round picks and short term need

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, if I need a RG or RT in 2009 to be expected to be able to start in 2009, then the last half of the 1st round or in the second round is where I should look to draft my player.

I'd agree w that - but to me, the need isn't a starting RG/RT in 09, as much as someone who can immediately be depth (Neal's health is always iffy) and who can start down the road. That can happen anywhere in the draft, potentially. It's not as dire as say, safety, if they can't re-sign Sanders.

Last edited:
I agree that if we don't sign a starting safety before the draft, that safety will move to the top of the list of priorities. However, we all seem to agree that there are some fine safeties available to us with our second round picks.

I'd agree w that - but to me, the need isn't a starting RG/RT in 09, as much as someone who can immediately be depth (Neal's health is always iffy) and who can start down the road. That can happen anywhere in the draft, potentially. It's not as dire as say, safety, if they can't re-sign Sanders.

My conclusion from your information is that a patriot frist rounder is expected to backup in his frist year (being able to start as needed) and start in his second year.

I agree 100%.

I also think that Mayo may have been thrown in right away, but he worked incredibly hard behind the scenes and had a very rough first 6 to 8 weeks of the season. The Miami game at New England was probably his worst of the season.

That is why I think we need to draft a DE early if Wright leaves.

That is why I think we need to draft a DE early if Wright leaves.
Concur, but the more I look at this draft class, the more I think NE needs to make a strong run at re-signing Wright. Weak as far as 3-4 talent doesn't begin to describe it for me.

And we should try to extend Seymour, Wilfork and Green. We won't get all four (these three and Wright) but we should try.

Concur, but the more I look at this draft class, the more I think NE needs to make a strong run at re-signing Wright. Weak as far as 3-4 talent doesn't begin to describe it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back