PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Worst Draft in NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the once promising lineman we picked up who turned out to be a total failure?

Yeah, we should have him run our draft board. I was pretty happy we didn't pick Castonza, now I'm ecstatic.

I'm with you on the BC Lineman. While he seems like a great kid, I didn't want him, as I wasn't as high on him as most.

I wouldn't be shocked if the worst draft turns out to be the Lions.

This is the guy that claimed the Patriots allowed players on IR to practice and that the Pats were screwing up the situation with Brady's contract (I think it's hilarious that no one's talking about Peyton and his franchise tag right now), so I'm not shocked that he didn't like BB's draft.

Hmmm. Sounds like he may have some kind of grudge.

Ross Tucker, for whatever reason, Ross Tucker always has bad sh#t to say about the Pats. Did he leave in a bad way?
Yes, he always has bad things to say about the Pats and ,yes, he did leave in a bad way. When he was let go, he reportedly went wild.

Every year the worst teama drafting the name players are said to be the best...they tend to still draft in the same spots.

Who really cares what anyone says about the Pats draft? No one knows crap about how anyone drafted yesterday. Every year there are teams that everyone thinks had a horrible draft when reviewing the next day and ended up having a great draft and there are teams that everyone thinks have a great draft and not one of the draft picks work out.

I remember in 2005 everyone universally loved the Bengals because they got high first round graded David Pollack late in the first, first round grade Odell Thurman midway through the second, and first round grade Chris Henry in the third. The general theme was they got three Pro Bowlers with their first three picks. Six years later, they got two problem children (Thurman, Henry) who did very little in the NFL (not to speak ill of the dead) and a guy who played 17 games in career.

I thought carimi would be better than solder, not a big solder, fan hope I'm wrong.

Bluestar loves carimi....

Also 6'9" is a little tall for a tackle. Going against those little guys like freeney, how do you get down to that level?

AS has been noted........... Ross Tucker's evaluation of our draft is about as reliable as Marshall Faulk's would be. :rolleyes:

I suprised he didn't bring up Spygate.

I wouldn't be shocked if the worst draft turns out to be the Lions.

That's interesting, b/c the only 2 teams who received A+ grades from the Sporting News were New England and the Lions.

I think the Lions adding Fairley next to Suh was a great move. I also think they solidified their O-Line, in an effort to keep a pretty good younger QB in Stafford upright. Those are 2 obvious pluses. They also added another pretty good WR to the mix of Calvin Johnson and Nate Burleson in Titus Young.

Of all the teams to think had a lousy draft, DET would not stick out to me personally.

Who?

10 char

I thought carimi would be better than solder, not a big solder, fan hope I'm wrong.

Bluestar loves carimi....

Also 6'9" is a little tall for a tackle. Going against those little guys like freeney, how do you get down to that level?

....see Sebastian Vollmer,circa 2009:rocker:

It's also no surprise that draft grades given out the day after the draft are pretty silly. Kiper gave us a B- last year, which he later changes to an A+.

And digging around a bit, here's what I found Kiper giving us in 2005:
New England Patriots: C
Guard Logan Mankins was a reach in the first round but the Patriots obviously like his size and nastiness, and he will help fill the void left by Joe Andruzzi's departure via free agency. Ellis Hobbs has good size but not enough skill to be more than a nickel back, and safety James Sanders was a teammate of Mankins at Fresno State and both were helped by the relationship between Patriots coach Bill Belichik and Fresno State coach Pat Hill. Tackle Nick Kaczur could play guard as well but came off the board a little early and Matt Cassel is a big project at quarterback.

5 eventual starters out of 7 picks, including a Pro Bowler who was a "reach" in the 1st.

So I don't really care much for day-after draft grades.

These draft comments are so stupid. Obviously, if the Patriots agreed with Ross Tucker then they would have made different picks. What's hilarious is the arrogance of a lot of these amateur scouts who think the front office is just dumb, didn't do their homework, and didn't realize that highly rated players (from guys like Kiper) were available and would make a great fit for their system.

I think the only fair way to evaluate a draft would be based on pick value. In that sense, the Patriots and Browns certainly won this draft, while the Falcons were huge losers.

Teams like the Saints always look great for being aggressive. The question is next year, will the Saints rather have Mark Ingram, or whoever is the best player available at the time the Pats are picking, along with this year's second round pick. Every year this a justification for why a certain player was worth trading up for; rarely is it actually true.

The draft is a crapshoot, but I don't feel like the odds were set well with this one. And if you take a taste on the last 5 years, the Pats are not a great drafting team.

Yeah 2009 and 2010 were HORRIBLE. I hope we have more drafts that SUCKED that much. 2011 is probably in that same vein . Absolutely TERRIBLE. Let's BUY INTO Everything the mediots say. Cos you know they get paid to talk football instead of running NFL teams. They MUST know more about the draft than BB and his entire scouting operation. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Tucker loved Hernandez and Gronkowski last years draft, but thought Cunningham would never make it at OLB.

So far, Cunningham has done good, but we will see.

It's also no surprise that draft grades given out the day after the draft are pretty silly. Kiper gave us a B- last year, which he later changes to an A+.

And digging around a bit, here's what I found Kiper giving us in 2005:

5 eventual starters out of 7 picks, including a Pro Bowler who was a "reach" in the 1st.

So I don't really care much for day-after draft grades.

Pretty hard to argue with anything Kiper wrote there except Mankins coming off early.

When did Tucker say those players could be had with much later picks?

The Giants were going to take Solder at #19. The Bills took a #34. Vereen was considered one of the top RBs available. Mallet and Cannon fell. It's silly to think they were taken too early. Ridley was maybe taken too early, but trading back into the 4th round is only going to net you a 6th rounder tops. BIG EFFIN DEAL.

Why would Tucker care?

Besides, the Colts wanted him at 22.

Even better is the critique of Solder.

I guess players are not allowed to get any better. Perhaps the next labor agreement will eliminate the weight room, coaching, film study and practice.

Maybe this guy never had potential so he hasn't realize that 99.9% of picks are drafted for potential.

Best athelete in the draft with huge size, great feet, and a 3.60 bioengineering student shows the guy has zero upside, desire, or ability to grasp the game.

Ross Tucker has some issues with the Pats and uses hsi public forums to rip them when he gets the chance. He's good at though as he makes it seem like he is being fair and "level-headed" but there is definitely a slant to his views.

2 Examples (i'm not making clickable links cuz he's a douche):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450]Tucker[/url] agrees with Walsh: Patriots practiced with IR players - NFL - ESPN
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/web/COM1170658/index.htm]Ross[/url] Tucker: What are Patriots thinking in regards to - 06.09.10 - SI Vault

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back