PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots workout former USC and CFL DL Armond Armstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brother is only a freshman at Oregon, but he's an interesting prospect as well. He was the #1 OT in the nation but went to Oregon because they'd let him play defensive end instead.

If we were to get him as a DE in the late 1st or early 2nd, and he's more serious about being successful as a pro, we could turn him over to Scar and end up with a top 10 value.

Internet cut me off...they're both Jessie's sons.

So if we get this guy we'd pretty much be all set for DL for 2013.

DT: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham
DT/DE: Armstead

Camp competition: Bequette, Bernard, rookie

A high-class problem is finding Wilfork's replacement. He has a few more years but not an easy task by any means. His role/position is incredibly important to this defense and the scheme. If they go pure 4-3 then that eases the loss but not the loss of the player.

Last edited:
Last edited:
A high-class problem is finding Wilfork's replacement. He has a few more years but not an easy task by any means. His role/position is incredibly important to this defense and the scheme. If they go pure 4-3 then that eases the loss but not the loss of the player.

Agreed, but like you say we have a couple years to find a replacement. Louis Nix is the perfect replacement in next years draft, hopefully he falls for just being a "fat NT."

Last edited:
I'm sure they would move him around if they sign him, but I wonder if they see him as mainly a LDE or DT.

DE during running downs, DT during passing downs.

Agreed, but like you say we have a couple years to find a replacement. Louis Nix is the perfect replacement in next years draft, hopefully he falls for just being a "fat NT."

Maybe more. Quality fat men generally have a pretty long shelf life (as we saw with Washington and Traylor). It's certainly possible we'll still be seeing peak Wilfork for another 3-5 years.

Maybe more. Quality fat men generally have a pretty long shelf life (as we saw with Washington and Traylor). It's certainly possible we'll still be seeing peak Wilfork for another 3-5 years.

Washington was a dominant player for us at age 35, though mainly as a space eater. Tony Siragusa was 33 when he formed part of the front line immovable wall of perhaps the best defense ever, though he was never the personal impact player that Wilfork is.

Interesting read from ESPN and the Baltimore Sun today on Haloti Ngata:

You can see it in his gingerly gate as he moves from his locker to the shower area, in the way he leans against a wall to take pressure off his right knee.

Haloti Ngata's remarkable body hurts.

This is easy enough to forget when you watch the Ravens on Sundays. The television announcers are more apt to talk about Terrell Suggs' Achilles or Ray Lewis' triceps. The camera, always following the ball, rarely settles on the trench warfare between Ngata and two or three offensive linemen nearly as big and powerful as he.

His teammates know. Always in awe of his combined size, power and agility, they now speak in appreciative tones of the way Ngata has played through a sprained knee and a busted shoulder, never saying much about either. That's the way he learned from his Tongan forefathers — go to work every day, and if you're in pain, still go.

But this season — his seventh overall and the second straight in which he's played through debilitating pain — the Ravens defensive tackle has thought more about his football mortality than ever before. Maybe it's the joy he gets from chasing his 3-year-old and five-month-old sons. Maybe it's the suicide of Junior Seau, a hero to Ngata and many other players of Polynesian descent.

"It makes you think, especially now that I have kids, is this job worth the head traumas you're probably going to end up having when you're older?" he says in the hushed voice that belies his enormous body. "I just think about being able to raise my kids, see them through college, see them have kids. It makes me think more about how much more I want to play."

Patriots defense back in playoff spotlight - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN
Ravens Pro-Bowler Haloti Ngata ponders his football mortality after another season of injuries - baltimoresun.com

I certainly wouldn't wish head injuries and the risk of CTE on anyone. But for the other injuries, it certainly seems like Ngata has been showing the physical wear and tear much more than Wilfork, who is older and has 2 more years in the NFL. Some players peak earlier than others. Justin Smith and Richard Seymour were top 10 picks (#4 and #6 overall) in 2001, and Seymour was far more dominant for the first 7 years of their career, but Smith continued to get better and has just gotten stronger and stronger, at least until he ran into the Pats, while Seymour is far from his prime. Nnamdi Asomugha and Charles Tillman were drafted 4 spots apart in 2003 (#31 and #35), and Asomugha was considered far the better player until the last 2 years, but he seems to have passed his prime whereas Tillman has just gotten stronger.

Vince Wilfork was the best NT in football for 5-6 years. After Richard Seymore left, he took over as the cornerstone of the defense, and BB rebuilt the defense around him. Smart move. Now Wilfork just seems to be getting better and better as a playmaker and impact player. Even the media morons can't ignore it. We don't know how long he can keep it up, but he may be one of those rare guys who keeps going for a while. He deserves a spot in Canton when he's done, that's for sure.

Vince Wilfork was the best NT in football for 5-6 years. After Richard Seymore left, he took over as the cornerstone of the defense, and BB rebuilt the defense around him. Smart move. Now Wilfork just seems to be getting better and better as a playmaker and impact player. Even the media morons can't ignore it. We don't know how long he can keep it up, but he may be one of those rare guys who keeps going for a while. He deserves a spot in Canton when he's done, that's for sure.

I for one would NOT wish to be the HOF representative telling Bianca that Vince didn't get voted in :eek:

Schefter just said whoever he signs with is getting the equivalent of a high draft pick

Schefter just said whoever he signs with is getting the equivalent of a high draft pick

Yup:

After the Miami Dolphins found pass rusher Cameron Wake in Canada and the Indianapolis Colts did the same with linebacker Jerrell Freeman, teams now are looking closely at former USC and Toronto Argonauts standout defensive tackle Armond Armstead, according to sources.

[+] Enlarge
Craig Bennett/Icon SMI
Armond Armstead played three seasons with the Trojans (2008-10), starting 17 games and recording 59 tackles.
Last week, Armstead visited with the New England Patriots, Philadelphia Eagles and Colts, and might make more visits this week before making a decision about where to sign, which is expected to take place this week.

In the 6-foot-5, 300-pound Armstead, an NFL team twill be getting the equivalent of a high draft pick months before the April draft.

Armond Armstead, formerly of Toronto Argonauts, on NFL teams' radar -- sources - ESPN

Of course, they could all have had him as a UDFA, and no one took the risk. :bricks: I wanted the Pats to draft/sign him.

Wonder how much it will take to sign him? And if Schefter thinks he's that good, sounds like he may be looking for more than a chance to get a tryout. I'd love to plug him in to LDE/DT the way Jonathan Fanene was projected.

Given a choice between NE, Indy and Philly, I would think the Pats would be the obvious choice, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I could see Baltimore, Green Bay or San Francisco (Justin Smith successor?) being interested.

I keep looking for news that we've signed him, but nothing so far.

Yup:

Armond Armstead, formerly of Toronto Argonauts, on NFL teams' radar -- sources - ESPN

Of course, they could all have had him as a UDFA, and no one took the risk. :bricks: I wanted the Pats to draft/sign him.

Wonder how much it will take to sign him? And if Schefter thinks he's that good, sounds like he may be looking for more than a chance to get a tryout. I'd love to plug him in to LDE/DT the way Jonathan Fanene was projected.

Given a choice between NE, Indy and Philly, I would think the Pats would be the obvious choice, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And I could see Baltimore, Green Bay or San Francisco (Justin Smith successor?) being interested.

I keep looking for news that we've signed him, but nothing so far.

BB courted Demps really well. (weren't all 32 teams interested in a way?) Hopefully he persuaded Armstead just as well.

BB courted Demps really well. (weren't all 32 teams interested in a way?) Hopefully he persuaded Armstead just as well.

It shouldn't be hard... HOF coach and QB, winning tradition, opportunity to play in the playoffs, track record of earning strong second contracts elsewhere after a successful season. What's not to like? Its not sunny? No "banging nightlife"? If a player isn't interested in that package they probably don't have winning priorities anyway.

It shouldn't be hard... HOF coach and QB, winning tradition, opportunity to play in the playoffs, track record of earning strong second contracts elsewhere after a successful season. What's not to like? Its not sunny? No "banging nightlife"? If a player isn't interested in that package they probably don't have winning priorities anyway.
Philly can offer . . . no HC coach that he can even talk to. Indy can offer a stud young QB and more definite immediate playing time. But as is the case with most players if you want the best chance to win and be with a team that will almost certainly get the best out of you, there is only one choice.

The Pats have every reason to think that they have a good shot at signing this kid, certainly as good if not better than most of the rest of the league for the following reasons

1. A great history of success by UDFA's with the Pats
2. A great football environment
3. A winning tradition
4. Playoff money every year
5. Potential superbowl rings every year
6. A history of paying a few bucks more early on to UDFA's with potential.

Last edited:
He looks like a great prospect, i hope we get him. If we do, he needs to change his name or get a nickname, though.

Every time I open the forum, I think somebody got arrested.:confused:

Boston's not that far away...

The kid's young, has already had a near-death experience, and has been playing for relatively little up in Canada. While I'd love for him to sign with the Patriots, it wouldn't surprise me if he just went with the highest bidder, and I can't say that I'd blame him at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye