PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots workout former USC and CFL DL Armond Armstead

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Do you want him to have one? That was obviously the main reason why he wasn't drafted. Health reasons...

I had angina, it isn't much fun.

We all had Angina when McCourty was at cornerback and Chung was at Safety. Half the guys on this messageboard clutched their chests and screamed, "turn your freakin' head," whenever an opposing QB launched a pass down the seam.

And they wonder why health care costs so much.

The brother is only a freshman at Oregon, but he's an interesting prospect as well. He was the #1 OT in the nation but went to Oregon because they'd let him play defensive end instead.

If we were to get him as a DE in the late 1st or early 2nd, and he's more serious about being successful as a pro, we could turn him over to Scar and end up with a top 10 value.

If the Pats do sign Armstead - and the ball's most likely in their court at this point - then it's pretty much like getting an extra draft pick. There's little doubt that if he hadn't had the medical issued and been forced to take a medical redshirt that he would have been draftable last year, and he's only 22.

Just to point out, there was significant interest in him by the Pats in the build up to the Draft. I noted that on the Pre-Draft Contact List we run every year in the Draft Forum:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...re-draft-contact-list-page18.html#post3020488

Absolutely. That's one reason I'm hopeful that this is more than just a casual visit, and that there's a good chance the team will make him an offer and he will sign. The Pats have shown interest in him before and they are a perennial SB contender, so it would seem like a very good situation for Armstead if they make him an offer. He apparently enjoyed his CFL experience and playing in Toronto, so he doesn't seem wedded to being on the West Coast.

What? Do you want him to have one? That was obviously the main reason why he wasn't drafted. Health reasons...

I had angina, it isn't much fun.

The problem is that his medical issues were caused by the USC medical staff improperly dosing him with Toradol. If he's medically cleared now, there isn't an issue, now is there.

Your comment was in bad taste.

I'm sure they would move him around if they sign him, but I wonder if they see him as mainly a LDE or DT.

I'm sure they would move him around if they sign him, but I wonder if they see him as mainly a LDE or DT.

Hopefully a bit of both. He played mainly DT for Toronto, I believe, but he played DE for USC in 2010. I love the idea of him as a DE, but either way works for me.

He's was in Indy yesterday after NE on Tuesday, not surprisingly it looks like there will be multiple teams with interest.

Last edited:
You guys on the draft boards really are pro's at kicking ALL of the tires. Props to those who wanted or thought about this guy coming aboard.

Thanks for helping the unknowing of us gain an insight - it's the sign of a healthy fan board in my book.

Now just need BB to SIGN THE BEAST. (Can he rush the passer?)

I see him being used similar to how we use Deaderick. He would be the 5 technique DE and play both left and right of Wilfork depending on the situation.

3-4 DE/4-3 DT
Deaderick
Armstead
Bequette (IMO they are bulking him up and developing him into a 3-4 DE)

4-3 DE/ 3-4 OLB
Jones
Nink
Cunningham
Francis
Scott (UFA)
Benard

NT
Wilfork
Love (UFA)

I'd expect that Love will return and with Benard I see replacing Scott because he will likely walk and because he will get an offer that is almost as bad as Mark Anderson Bills contract.

If we were to add him we are going into the next season with great talent/depth and that wouldn't even include players added in the draft, free agency and of course UDFA.

Last edited:
I see him being used similar to how we use Deaderick. He would be the 5 technique DE and play both left and right of Wilfork depending on the situation.

3-4 DE/4-3 DT
Deaderick
Armstead

Could you please elaborate on this thought? Color me curious. He doesn't have much of an anchor and his arms are short. What about him do you think can translate to 5-tech?

Last edited:
Love (UFA)

I'd expect that Love will return and with Benard I see replacing Scott because he will likely walk and because he will get an offer that is almost as bad as Mark Anderson Bills contract.
Kyle Love is under contract for the 2013 NFL Season.

Kyle Love - New England Patriots - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

8/22/2012: Signed a two-year, $3.09 million contract. The deal included a $500,000 signing bonus. 2012: $540,000, 2013: $750,000, 2014: Free Agent

New England Patriots - NFL Team Contracts - Rotoworld.com

Could you please elaborate on this thought? Color me curious. He doesn't have much of an anchor and his arms are short. What about him do you think can translate to 5-tech?

JJ Watt
Height -6'5
Weight - 290
Arms - 34"
40 - 4.84
Bench - 34 reps
Vertical - 37"
Broad - 120"
3 cone - 6.88
20 yd shuffle - 4.21

Jake Bequette
Height -6'5
Weight - 274
Arms - 32"
40 - 4.82
Bench - N/A
Vertical - 34"
Broad - 113"
3 cone - 6.90
20 yd shuffle - 4.07

Just to be clear I'm not projecting that Bequette is going to the next Watt, or anything even close to him I just think that the measurable are there for him to be used in a similar capacity if he was to add 15-20lbs which he is more than capable of doing now working with a NFL training team.

I all honesty I feel like this his only real option, I don't think he athletic enough to play a DE/OLB position in the NFL well at least not on the Patriots with what is expected of them.. The limited snaps I've seen of him has not been a pretty site.

So if we get this guy we'd pretty much be all set for DL for 2013.

DT: Wilfork, Love, Deaderick
DE: Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Cunningham
DT/DE: Armstead

Camp competition: Bequette, Bernard, rookie

He's shrunk three inches since High School. That could be a problem.

Last edited:

3-4 DE/4-3 DT
Deaderick
Armstead

4-3 DE/ 3-4 OLB
Jones
Nink
Cunningham
Francis
Scott (UFA)
Benard

NT
Wilfork
Love (UFA)

If we were to add him we are going into the next season with great talent/depth and that wouldn't even include players added in the draft, free agency and of course UDFA.

I think Armstead is much more agile and athletic than Deaderick, and could be used outside at 4-3 DE as well.

Dude, he doesn't have a heart condition.

It was fully explained with an ABC News video in another thread a few days ago that it was an untracked painkiller injection from the USC medical staff that caused a heart attack in his otherwise perfectly healthy heart. His family has had a lawsuit on the dockets against USC for almost a year now. His situation is nothing like yours.

There goes Petey's chance to sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back