Not open for further replies.

DefenseRules

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Pats work out Mike Flynn
Posted by Mike Reiss, Globe Staff
August 20, 2008 06:15 PM

In what could be a New England-type homecoming story, free-agent center/guard Mike Flynn visited and worked out for the Patriots today at Gillette Stadium.

The 34-year-old Flynn, who played in college at Maine and attended Springfield (Mass.) Cathedral High School, has played his entire NFL career for the Baltimore Ravens.

Growing up in Massachusetts and watching the Celtics of the Larry Bird era, Flynn told the Boston Globe in June (third item of NFL notes column) that -- like Bird -- he took pride in playing for one team in his career.

Yet the chance to finish his career where it started, in Massachusetts, might entice Flynn to consider joining the Patriots.

Also under consideration, it would seem, is the Patriots' need on the interior of the offensive line.

Starting right guard Stephen Neal remains on the physically unable to perform list and Neal's top backups -- Russ Hochstein and Billy Yates -- have been held out of practice of late due to injuries.

Furthermore, Flynn could fill in at center in a pinch behind Dan Koppen. Third-year player Dan Connolly was the backup Sunday night in Tampa and fired a shotgun snap over the head of quarterback Matt Cassel.
I hope that this doesn't mean that one of Light, O'Callaghan, Neal, Ross, Yates, or Hochstein is done for the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Patriots work out another Offensive Lineman

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I hope that this doesn't mean that one of Light, O'Callaghan, Neal, Ross, Yates, or Hochstein is done for the season.

Gotta be optimistic LPF. If we get a couple good players out of this mess and also get some players back healthy, we could end up stronger, at least more experienced.

This guy has started almost every game in a good organization and can back up center. Very valuable if healthy and spry, which is the sticking point, of course.

I'm glad they're being aggressive anyway.

allright....BB is really starting to scare me with the O-line

i dearly hope this is one of his games...

allright....BB is really starting to scare me with the O-line

i dearly hope this is one of his games...

Or, perhaps, they might be unhappy with Yates...

I think it's really just a warm body issue at this point. All the RGs are banged up and BB is going to have to throw someone in there in the second half vs. Philly. If he keeps playing the same guys and someone else gets hurt the team is even more screwed at OL.

I'm thinking one of the linemen starts off on PUP, at least. If he's durable and at least decent, I don't mind giving him the shot. So long, Tyson DeVree.

I like Flynn and I hope he sticks. All this movement on the OL squad has me a bit concerned tho. Cohesiveness is so important, otoh I like the fact they're starting to look at making a change or two. I don't like the instability tho-it's important that they gel.

Flynn would be a good addition-hopefully they do something sooner than later so he can get worked in.

Last edited:
Re: Patriots workout G/C Mike Flynn

It means that Yates or Hochstein or both are not doing all that well...they need some inside line help for Phillie. I was thinking maybe a lineman might go, but at this point, Flynn would be the 10th guy...so no....another would be cut if they sign him. These injuries are not good at all. And no it's not BB games here at all..

Or, perhaps, they might be unhappy with Yates...

What possible reason could he have to be happy with Yates?

Flynn is a tough SOB. I don't know how much he has left but he could be a solid back up at G or C.

Plus we need a UMaine player on the Patriots.:D

Gotta be optimistic LPF. If we get a couple good players out of this mess and also get some players back healthy, we could end up stronger, at least more experienced.

This is certainly the optimistic way to look at it, but I'm just not feeling it. Maybe true in 6 weeks, but I shudder to think what sort of OL we fare going against KC and NYJ....

Last edited:
This is exactly what many on this board are asking for, albeit with the QB position - a sturdy no nonsense vet that can come in and be a quality replacement. Hopefully Flyn can come in and be that guy until Neal, etc. are healthy to return.

I like Flynn and I hope he sticks. All this movement on the OL squad has me a bit concerned tho. Cohesiveness is so important, otoh I like the fact they're starting to look at making a change or two. I don't like the instability tho-it's important that they gel.

Flynn would be a good addition-hopefully they do something sooner than later so he can get worked in.

BB used to move all the linemen around back when we had a bargain basement line. As injuries occured, the backups were ready. I think everyone's overreacting. The only terrible thing would be if Neal's done, the rest are backups and the guys we brought in are good or better.

Of course we need a healthy left tackle too.

Until we gain cohesion (remember it's how good you play at the end of the season) running and short passes will minimize problems.

I still remember Hochstien limping badly off the field and nothing more for news....Being the first interior guy off the bench, he started a few games in 04(last super bowl run), I was certain we would be relying on him for the better half of the season with Neal still recovering from his mystery knee....This is likely not a very good sign at all. Lets hope Light and Koppen are healthy!

This is exactly what many on this board are asking for, albeit with the QB position - a sturdy no nonsense vet that can come in and be a quality replacement.

Why that stubborn failure of a HC and GM won't acceed to this demand must confound 'many on this board'.

Last edited:
I still remember Hochstien limping badly off the field and nothing more for news....Being the first interior guy off the bench, he started a few games in 04(last super bowl run), I was certain we would be relying on him for the better half of the season with Neal still recovering from his mystery knee....This is likely not a very good sign at all. Lets hope Light and Koppen are healthy!

Obviously injuries are bad. I hope we haven't reached the point we're jumping off a cliff over Hochstein and Yates, though.

Kansas City Chiefs (Welbourn)

He was traded to the Kansas City Chiefs for a second and fourth round draft pick. He went on to start at right tackle for the Chiefs for the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons. In 2007 he started all 16 games for the Kansas City Chiefs at right guard. He was released at the end of the season with one year left on his contract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Welbourn

Can you imagine in your wildest dreams getting a second and fourth for Hochstein? Of course health is a concern, but we acquired some quality linemen, career starters.

Come in off the ledge.

Please explain to me how all these young players are hurt? What do these young men do in the off season to get so out of shape? I have 30something adult children that work out all the time. I don't understand. Explain?

Please explain to me how all these young players are hurt? What do these young men do in the off season to get so out of shape? I have 30something adult children that work out all the time. I don't understand. Explain?

Have you ever lifted 600 lbs.?

Out of shape?? Good lord.Have you ever watched football?

Do your "30something adult children" run into one another at full speed and hundred times a day or so?

A 300# guy running to hit you, if you are in the wrong position or fall the wrong way in a pile--from being hit by their guys or your own--ligaments and tendons cant be strengthened like bone and muscle. If they rupture one or more significant tendons(knee tendons for strength and flexibility, shoulders for lifting, and lower back ruptures are the 3 most common)they need an operation to resecure the tendon/disc. These procedures have to cut through existing muscle to get at the damage.
Even with microsurgery and the perfecting of sports medicine it is an operation. Its subject to complications and infections like any other persons operation. The wound has to heal from the inside out, the limb has to be rested, and after rehab has to catch the limb up to the rest of the body.
To make it hit home, Bobby Orr's knee had this happen and he was never the same after many years and many operations. The same surgery that would have fixed his knee completely takes about a year or so to heal. Too bad Orr wasnt born a little later huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back