PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots work out yet another punter

Status
Not open for further replies.
we have seen throught the season the pats bring in players and work them out as pioli said to update and refresh their ¨lists¨. the is the same imo.

I wouldn't think so, just seeing what's out there just in case. With the roster limits at 80 this preseason they couldn't bring in another P.

True, but...3 punters in 2 days sounds like something. Let's just hope that something isn't an injury.

Exactly....I would hope not...NOT good if it is....

we have seen throught the season the pats bring in players and work them out as pioli said to update and refresh their ¨lists¨. the is the same imo.

I don't buy this. Not this time. Maybe if it was a punter here, punter there. But this is a systematic attempt to sign a better punter than they currently have or deal with an un-announced injury.

Is anyone kind of surprised there aren't at least a few guys out there that kick and punt? I would think that if someone could pull that off, their value would skyrocket as it would allow a team to carry a 5th RB or 5th CB or whatever. Most likely, it would be a kicker that could also punt being that kicking is a bit more important over the course of a season.

Last edited:
Maybe Hansen has a quota in his contract and we exceeded it in preseason...;)

Maybe Hansen has a quota in his contract and we exceeded it in preseason...;)

Quota for number of punts?That guy has about 4 seasons worth of roll-over from last season.

True, but...3 punters in 2 days sounds like something. Let's just hope that something isn't an injury.

If that were the case they would be bringing in proven veterans, for ex Green Bay just waived their P Jon Ryan, http://www.nfl.com/players/jonryan/profile?id=RYA229481, in order to sign Derrick Frost, http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickfrost/profile?id=FRO666178, whom the Redskins had waived. Ryan is still out there and has a much better resume then any of the 3 punters we just brought in for workouts.

I don't buy this. Not this time. Maybe if it was a punter here, punter there. But this is a systematic attempt to sign a better punter than they currently have or deal with an un-announced injury.
So just because they work a bunch of punters out at once, that must mean that they're going to cut Hanson? I don't think so. They probably just wanted to update their list of punting prospects all at once. I don't see what's hard to believe about that.

If Hanson is so unacceptable, why wait until five days before the start of the season to work out a new punter? Sorry. It just doesn't make sense that way.

Also, in regard to the rest of your post. Punting and kicking aren't as easy as they look. To get to the NFL level at either position requires enormous specialization, because otherwise you will just get outclassed. And if you're so tremendous an athlete that you can master both positions, why are you kicker anyway?

There seem to be many weeks where they emphasize one position in particular. Presumably they figure out who they're interested in and then have as many of those guys come in right away as makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes