PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Won't Tag Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to NFLFans.com the Patriots will not tag Adam again with the Franchise tag.

They are trying to work out a deal below the 3.1Mil tag amount before 3/3/006.
Keep an eye out on this one.

Even if they can't sign AV, at least there will be more cap room by not using the franchise tag, room they can use to re-sign Givens (maybe extend Seymour too).

Adios Adam. Thanks for everything.

Funny...

...if Vinatieri signs w/ the Cowboys they will have more 96 Pats (Drew, "She", AV) than we will (TedyB, Willie) plus the coach (effing traitor!)

Please oh please gimmie a Pats-Boys SB where AV misses the GW-kick at the end (j/k, but seriously).

To me it is obvious that most teams are weary of tagging anyone with the CBA mess. I would like to think by the pats not Tagging AV that it means they are close to a long term deal. Wishful thinking, maybe.

I don't believe it, the Patriots will either sign AV to a new contract or franchise tag him on or before the March deadline. Dallas will be ready to pounce quickly if he does become available.

groundgame said:
I don't believe it, the Patriots will either sign AV to a new contract or franchise tag him on or before the March deadline. Dallas will be ready to pounce quickly if he does become available.

I don't know about the franchise tag. Michael Holley (WEEI) just said that the Patriots promised Adam that they would not franchise him again.
Stay tuned.

Absent any other source I assume this report is based on Curren's piece in today's Pro-Jo. Tom doesn't cite any sources either, just says it's unlikely. He may just be staking out the alternate call in the absence of any real knowledge to the contrary.

"Adam Vinatieri will come one step closer to hitting the open seas of free agency today.

The Patriots have until 4 p.m. today to designate a franchise player, and all indications are that they won't use the designation. New England made Vinatieri their franchise player in 2002 and 2005. Not doing it today means that -- unless the team and the kicker come to a contract accord before March 3 -- he will be an unrestricted free agent."

I saw an interview with Adam after the season ended where they asked him about the tag and his comment was they really don't like to have the highest paid at any position. Didn't say he had any qualms about it. Some have speculated that he was promised it would not be used again after last year. But in his case (kicker getting well above top 5 average) I don't know that he would particularly care. Although they used the exclusive tag last season which meant no other team could talk to him (i.e. establish his market).

Curren also says there have been no substantial talks in the off season, which is a rehash of what they've all said for the last few weeks. Of course Adam only named a new agent to replace his suspended agent about two weeks ago.

Perhaps they will Transition him. Same money in his case but it allows both sides to gauge his market and sign him with no draft compensation stifling the market. It doesn't lock either side in but gives the Pats a week to think about what they want to do after he gets an offer he'd accept from someone. Who knows, could be a week in which the CBA gets approved.

http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/projo_20060223_23adam.17ee4f66.html

groundgame said:

The Franchise deadline is today 2/23 @ 4:00 pm EST. If the tag isnt applied today AV is free to walk on 3/3 if no deal can be consumated.

get what they deserve

huskeralk said:
Adios Adam. Thanks for everything.
BB/SP have been playing cutesy with adam for way too long.
the guy's one of the top 3 kickers in the league, fer chrissakes.
he's an unparalled clutch kicker.
he's also a football player.
and here are the patriots kvetching about how he's 34 years old. as if that matters.
watch parcells come in with an offer, 4 years at 3.5 million a year, good bonus. he's done it before.
and see vinatieri in silver and blue till 2009.

ilduce06410 said:
watch parcells come in with an offer, 4 years at 3.5 million a year, good bonus. he's done it before.

If he's willing to pay $3.5 million for a kicker, more power to him I guess.

richpats said:
...if Vinatieri signs w/ the Cowboys they will have more 96 Pats (Drew, "She", AV) than we will (TedyB, Willie).
Huh? What happened to Troy?

Am I the only one who is kind of irritated Adam wants so much money, and would actually be willing to leave NE to get it?

just watch

huskeralk said:
If he's willing to pay $3.5 million for a kicker, more power to him I guess.
parcells is the one who swooped in and offered a 6-year, $36 million contract to a 28-year-old RB. curtis is entering year 6 of that contract. i believe he's gained about 6,700 yards as a RB under that contract.
i'd say keyshawn is too old for his contract too.

ilduce06410 said:
the guy's one of the top 3 kickers in the league, fer chrissakes.
he's an unparalled clutch kicker.
he's also a football player.
and here are the patriots kvetching about how he's 34 years old. as if that matters.

IlDuce -
Where do you get this from? How have BB and Pioli been "playing cutesy with Adam for far too long?" So the guy is one of the top 3 kickers in the league. He's been paid as the BEST kicker for years now. Or did you miss that fact?

Ilduce, it was VINATIERI who sat on his arse and did nothing while his agent was suspended. It was VINATIERI who didn't agree to the deal that the Patriots put in front of him last year (which I bet was a very lucrative offer).

To say that they've been playing cutesy with Adam is so untrue. If anything AV has been playing cutesy with the pats.

richpats said:
...if Vinatieri signs w/ the Cowboys they will have more 96 Pats (Drew, "She", AV) than we will (TedyB, Willie) plus the coach (effing traitor!)

Please oh please gimmie a Pats-Boys SB where AV misses the GW-kick at the end (j/k, but seriously).

That'll never happen. Drew couldn't get them close enough with that much at stake.

AV would be very myopic to take $0.5MM more a year from Dallas or anyone else rather than staying put in NE.

If he accepts a little less and finishes in NE, he'll earn 10x over the extra $$ he'd get from another team in local endorsements from now until the day he dies.

He should have a lenghty discussion with Troy Brown regarding such matters.

ilduce06410 said:
parcells is the one who swooped in and offered a 6-year, $36 million contract to a 28-year-old RB. curtis is entering year 6 of that contract. i believe he's gained about 6,700 yards as a RB under that contract.
i'd say keyshawn is too old for his contract too.

You have your facts wrong again, Ilduce. Martin was 24 (almost 25) when Parcells swooped in and signed him with that poison pill contract that would have cost the Patriots more to match than to let him go. BB and Pioli wouldn't have matched that contract. Now, granted, it probably wouldn't have come to that if BB and Pioli were managing the team then, but that is a hypothetical that no one can answer. And its not BB and Pioli's fault that Booby Grier is a moron and couldn't recognize football talent if it was light up with a bright neon sign.

Martin has been with the Jets for 8 years now (2 years past the Parcells deal). And he's gotten over 10,000 yards.

ilduce06410 said:
....watch parcells come in with an offer, 4 years at 3.5 million a year, good bonus. he's done it before.

Jerry Jones could go up to $5M per year for a bona-fide Hall of Fame kicker.

groundgame said:
Jerry Jones could go up to $5M per year for a bona-fide Hall of Fame kicker.

That's why he pays Parcells to make the football decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back