PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots will make final decision on Derrick Burgess within a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDPPatsfan85

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Last edited:
That's good. He may not have been a game-breaker but he's better than nothing.

Of course you'd sign him for that money. Even if he has little market value, we have hopes and dreams playing linebacker right now.

Personally, if that's really the offer, I think he goes elsewhere, unless there's absolutely no interest.

he was improving towards the end...why not keep him? see how much he improves? and if it only costs so much anyways

this deal still has room to become successful

LOL, that's not exactly saying much. We should try to retain him for $1M per year, but we should also be looking for someone who can actually make an impact at least once in a season at the position who can start in front of him and either keep him for depth or cut him in training camp once we find said person. I have no idea whether or not Crable is that guy, but I doubt it.

EDIT: T-Minus 8 posts until 10,000.

Last edited:
LOL, that's not exactly saying much. We should try to retain him for $1M per year, but we should also be looking for someone who can actually make an impact at least once in a season at the position who can start in front of him and either keep him for depth or cut him in training camp once we find said person. I have no idea whether or not Crable is that guy, but I doubt it.

EDIT: T-Minus 8 posts until 10,000.

Concur, and congrats on the post count. You always seem to have something good to contribute, and that's always welcome around these parts. :)

I wish I could spend more time on the board, but things are all discombobulated at the moment. Hopefully it settles down in a couple months.

Respects,

I'd like to see the Patriots resign him. I still remember being there at training camp for his first day with the Pats. His speed off the edge really stood out. He improved throughout the year, which impressed me, especially considering how little time he had to learn the scheme before the season. He may not be an all-pro, but I think he's worth resigning, particularly since we'll probably draft a rookie OLB this year and will need a veteran bridge.

I'd like to see the Patriots resign him. I still remember being there at training camp for his first day with the Pats. His speed off the edge really stood out. He improved throughout the year, which impressed me, especially considering how little time he had to learn the scheme before the season. He may not be an all-pro, but I think he's worth resigning, particularly since we'll probably draft a rookie OLB this year and will need a veteran bridge.

I agree. As long as the money seems reasonable, they should make the attempt.

Signing him b/c the team gave up a 3rd & 5th doesn't make total sense if he stunk.

Last edited:
He did have 3 sacks in the last 4 regular season games. Could it be that the Lategate ordeal got to him and made him more effective? If so, I'd love to see him play a whole season that motivated.

Concur, and congrats on the post count. You always seem to have something good to contribute, and that's always welcome around these parts. :)

I wish I could spend more time on the board, but things are all discombobulated at the moment. Hopefully it settles down in a couple months.

Respects,

I'm actually kind of ashamed about my post count. However, if I were to guesstimate, I would say that roughly 8,000 - 8,500 of my posts have come when I've been at work. And yes, my job is extremely slack.

What a shame, can you imagine if we had that 3rd and 5th heading into this draft with what we already have? Talk about Chess Board pieces. Oh well, it was bad trade and It is what it is.

With that said, I don't see anyone else knocking his door down, so I am sure BB will play this out to the end and give him a rock bottom deal to keep a job. Who knows, maybe BB didn't utilize his strengths, maybe it was the system, but hard to believe a guy that had this pass rushing pedigree could lose it THAT quickly.

Last edited:
What a shame, can you imagine if we had that 3rd and 5th heading into this draft with what we already have? Talk about Chess Board pieces. Oh well, it was bad trade and It is what it is.

With that said, I don't see anyone else knocking his door down, so I am sure BB will play this out to the end and give him a rock bottom deal to keep a job. Who knows, maybe BB didn't utilize his strengths, maybe it was the system, but hard to believe a guy that had this pass rushing pedigree could lose it THAT quickly.

Burgess' pass rushing abilities weren't exactly setting the league on fire in 2008 in Oakland either.

We at least could use the depth. Still need to draft a young pass rusher though.

He is a situational player.
He plays DE in sub packages, or if we line up in a 43.
Lets stop lumping him in the category of OLB, he simply doesnt play that position.
He really doesnt have a position in the 34, but in sub packages he plays the spot that the OLBs do.....DE.
I can think of a lot worse ways to use a roster spot than to have a guy with a decent track record as a pass rusher who will play up to the 50% of the time we play from nickel or dime.

What a shame, can you imagine if we had that 3rd and 5th heading into this draft with what we already have?

Well we could have used those picks on developmental OLB's and watched them bust over 2-3 years rather than one.

Well we could have used those picks on developmental OLB's and watched them bust over 2-3 years rather than one.

OR used that key 3rd round pick combined with one of our 2's to move up for a key player. It was a chip that we could have used in April and it's gone. Bad deal all around, no way to sugar coat it.

Last edited:

Well that moves him away from the thread about nothing then.

It was a bad deal but you guys need to move on. We traded a #3 and #5. But we also got two extra #2s through the trade downs. And while the Brace pick looks iffy, the Butler pick looks rock solid. You aren't going to win every trade and you can't beat yourself up over every bad one.

I hope we re-sign him for cheap money. He could really help out tuturing our OLB draft pick this year. I think he starts and plays a lot the first half the year and then slowing we let the rook develop and get more PT every week instead of just throwing him into the fire. I really hope we take one of these guys in the draft if not two of them: Graham, Hughes, Kindle, Sapp, Misi, or Worilds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes