Patriots Who Will Step Up Big In 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Who Will Step Up Big In 2012
By: Steve Balestrieri

The Patriots have not had a real shut-down corner since Asante Samuel. You look at the Jets, and watch the impact that Darrelle Revis has on their defense. Knowing he is back there I feel allows their defense to be even more aggressive....

I think Hightower is NFL ready.

Denard could be a quality 3rd/4th CB. Giving some much needed depth.

Fanene should do better than Shaun Ellis did in that LE position last year.

Last edited:
I'll take Ras-I Dowling...if healthy.

Well, I guess I'm cheating cause that's a big if. :(

Sergio Brown ............ :D

I'm thinking Stevan Ridley will have a breakout season. He was great in flashes but hampered by fumble issues. With an offseason to build confidence and practice in ball protection, I think he will be a key component of the Patriots offense.

My pick for hero in 2012 is... wait for it... Tavon Wilson. I'm not kidding. BB doesn't spend early picks on players he doesn't feel will contribute. No one is giving him any love, including the media. He'll start before the end of the season, and be a major player in the post-season.

My pick for hero in 2012 is... wait for it... Tavon Wilson. I'm not kidding. BB doesn't spend early picks on players he doesn't feel will contribute. No one is giving him any love, including the media. He'll start before the end if the season, and be a major player in the post-season.

This would be truly fantastic for the team if this were the case! I hope you are right, sir......

My pick for hero in 2012 is... wait for it... Tavon Wilson. I'm not kidding. BB doesn't spend early picks on players he doesn't feel will contribute. No one is giving him any love, including the media. He'll start before the end of the season, and be a major player in the post-season.

Where will Tavon fit in? Gregory has gotten some praise,there's Chung,Arrington,Ihedigbo,Barrett(?)McCourty(?) and whoever else BB likes there.

I think he will be more on STs and fill in for injuries because of his versatility.

My potential candidates (I excluded rookies):

Shane Vereen - The guy has big play capabilities and can be a threat as a receiver as well as a rusher...... if he lives off his college potential and show last year he was just a victim of no offseason and injuries.

Brandon Deadrick - Does he qualify for this category since he was pretty good down the stretch last year?

Ras-I Dowling - In the very limited sample size we saw, this guy has shutdown potential. Way, way to early to use the word shutdown in regards to him (as they say potential is useless unless it is reached), but he could be a solid CB for the Pats.

Devin McCourty - I expect a rebound year from a sophomore slump.

Brandon Spikes - We saw in the Super Bowl what he has the potential to be. Even when the rest of the defense struggled, he was all over the place making plays. If he can stay on the field, I think he will be at least a two down impact player.

Nate Solder - I think he will make us not even miss Matt Light.

Last edited:
My potential candidates (I excluded rookies):

Shane Vereen - The guy has big play capabilities and can be a threat as a receiver as well as a rusher...... if he lives off his college potential and show last year he was just a victim of no offseason and injuries.

Brandon Deadrick - Does he qualify for this category since he was pretty good down the stretch last year?

Ras-I Dowling - In the very limited sample size we saw, this guy has shutdown potential. Way, way to early to use the word shutdown in regards to him (as they say potential is useless unless it is reached), but he could be a solid CB for the Pats.

Devin McCourty - I expect a rebound year from a sophomore slump.

Brandon Spikes - We saw in the Super Bowl what he has the potential to be. Even when the rest of the defense struggled, he was all over the place making plays. If he can stay on the field, I think he will be at least a two down impact player.

Nate Solder - I think he will make us not even miss Matt Light.

Vereen is either going to turn into the most exciting or most aggravating player we have had in years.
If he reaches the potential he has, fans are going to be shocked by how good he will be. If he doesn't reach his potential, he will be public enemy #1 around here.

Vereen is either going to turn into the most exciting or most aggravating player we have had in years.
If he reaches the potential he has, fans are going to be shocked by how good he will be. If he doesn't reach his potential, he will be public enemy #1 around here.

out of curiousity, why do you think vereen's ceiling is so high?

I think (and hope) Chung will take the next step. He has the tools and the desire to be special. I think he becomes that with a full offseason this year.

out of curiousity, why do you think vereen's ceiling is so high?

I think he has unique quickness, agility and elusiveness, and is also big and strong enough to run inside.

FWIW, I ran across a former NFL coach(Dallas,Miami), who also was head coach at Syracuse and now Connecticut.He had Jones older brother while at the 'Cuse ...I apologized for interrupting his food shopping at the small supermarket here in Charlestown (he gave me the "oh jeez, not ANOTHER one of these guys" look) but I just wanted his opinion of Chandler Jones.He was basically very cautious in what he said but told me he didn't really see enough of his past season to give a real clear cut analysis(Jones was injured for a part of the season).One thing he did say that gave me pause was that the Patriots will expect him to be able to contribute from the start...and that was something he wasn't so sure would happen right away.

Like I said, he was very cautious, obviously from all his time in the NFL and the media spotlight, but when I mentioned Hightower his eyes flashed a bit and he said the kid was a player that coach Bill will really like...I won't post this coach's name because that wouldn't be right, but if anyone cares shoot me a PM.

There are a ton of CT and NY media and sports personalities who summer here in C Town.I've taken Giants PR people,lawyers who've done work for the Jets, even a great fellow who is high up in the Steeler organization working with charities and fund raising,out to the Block chasing linesiders...or women(don't always catch fish in the water, you know).This is the first time I've run across a person with real time,on field NFL experience. I gave him my card...maybe I can get him on the boat for a morning and shoot the breeze...anyone who's ever spent time out on the water knows that getting to and from where the fish are is the time for bulsh!tting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes