Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots waive OLB Darrell Robertson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

I found what the Pats told him very interesting.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Patdown93

Patdown93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: Patriots have waive OLB Darrell Robertson

Hmm. The interesting part is this:

"The Patriots told him they felt they had a logjam at the position."
  3. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

I know. I thought that was strange too. Where is this logjam? :confused:
  4. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There is something of a "logjam" for developmental picks and for reserve OLBs: Crable, Redd, Craig and Robertson, and Woods if you count reserve OLBs. Thomas is the only bona fide quality starter we have, but we have more bodies than roster (or possibly PS) spots.
  5. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 1 / -0

Or this signals that they want to clear his spot for someone else better?
  6. KDPPatsfan85

KDPPatsfan85 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 1 / -0

#51 Jersey

Who could that be??
  7. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

That makes sense. When you look at the "unofficial depth chart" at Patriots.com, it does look like we have a lot of developmental players at that position.
  8. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 2 / -3

You forgot Banta-Cain. Thomas, Woods, TBC, Redd, Crable, and Craig. That's still a number of guys, without any possible draft picks or free agent/trade acquisitions added in. I wouldn't read too much into it.
  9. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Thanks for reminding me.

In my mind, we have too many "bodies" at OLB and too few starting quality playes. Wood is a marginal starter/solid reserve. Crable is unproven but will hopefully be at least that good. Redd shows promise. The rest are JAGs.

I see us needing 2 LBs right now. I starting quality (or eventual starting quality, with Woods starting for a year or so) player at OLB. And either a 2nd starting quality OLB (if Thomas moves inside to SILB) or a starting quality SILB to put inside in a rotation with Mayo and Guyton.

I don't see the need for more developmental LBs, which is why I don't see us targeting LBs much on the 2nd day of the draft, unless we find one who we think is a real diamond in the rough.
  10. jeffbiologist

jeffbiologist Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

While Guyton came in last year as a ILB with his speed it wouldnt surprise me to see him being groomed for the OLB position. Either that or BB really thinks Redd can do something. I think TBC will ultimately win Woods' job.
  11. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

If Woods starts for a year or so and Thomas stays outside, we have

Thomas, Woods, Crable, TBC
    Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Alexander

No more than seven linebackers should be expected to get many reps. We usually keep ONE more: a developmental player. But we already have our developmental players in Crable and Guyton. Even Woods or TBC could develop and be a long-term member of the seven linebacker group.

Redd, Rudd or Craig could make the 53, but I don't expect it to happen unless Belichick thinks that Redd is almost the STer that Alexander is.

BOTTOM LINE
    If Woods is starting, we need ONE linebacker. My perference would be an ILB, but an OLB is just fine, especially if the team has faith in Guyton. And yes, if the situation is right and we can get two linebackers that we just must have, then we will make room.

12. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

They need lumber.

They have logs.
  13. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Guyton doesn't have the upper body strength to set the edge outside. He started against Seattle last year but was replaced by Colvin, even though Colvin had only been with the team for about five minutes.

I'm glad they have Guyton as a passing-down LB, but he's not a candidate for full-time OLB.
  14. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

??? Guyton is being groomed to play ILB. Last I heard, we needed a starter, or at least someone for the future rotation. We have Mayo. Guyton and Bruschi will share the rest of the reps as they did last year.

With regard to OLB, we have Thomas, and TBC and Woods to share the rest of the reps. If not these, then Redd. Why? We drafted Crable to play OLB. He might develop early this year, but we can afford to wait for him. I suppose Redd could beat him out, but it seems unlikely.

15. robertweathers

robertweathers Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

IMO they will be making another move at OLB. BB knows his pass rush was terrible last year. Peppers and Suggs may be out of reach, Peppers especially but I do expect them to add an impact player somewhere down line before the official start to of the 2009 season. It's possible that Taylor may be that stop-gap player of the $$$ is reasonable.
  16. rsd

rsd Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Guyton hurt his ankle that game, that's why Colvin saw so much action so soon.
  17. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Obligatory... We hardly knew ye
  18. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

We're doomed
  19. WhiZa

WhiZa Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

20. BestQB

BestQB Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Darrell Robertson signed with the KC Chiefs. What a surprise?
  21. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

In a roundabout way, I find that kind of encouraging about the young OLBs on the roster. If Pioli thinks that a guy who wasn't worthy of the #6 offseason OLB slot on the Pats still has some promise, that's all to the good.
  22. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Indeed.

23. Urgent

Urgent Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Equally as encouraging as the Jets must feel about their TE corps when New England picked up TE Brad Listorti, cut from their practice squad mid-season.

In the KC case, they are shifting toward a 3-4, and need more depth at LB, especially the type that play 3-4. Shouldn't be a surprise that they stock their off-season roster with guys like Robertson.
  24. ayjackson

ayjackson Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I think you're missing the point. Pioli is intimately familiar with the development of Robertson as a 3-4 OLB. The indication is that his development was likely positive if Pioli signed him.

How that has any similarity to the Pats signing someone from the Jets is beyond me.
  25. Urgent

Urgent Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Darrell Robertson was added to the Patriots practice squad November 17 and never played in a game. He stayed on the practice squad about six weeks, and was then released.

Brad Listorti was added to the Jets practice squad for about two weeks and never played in a game, and then released.

The Chiefs picked up the cast off practice squad linebacker.
    The Patriots picked up the cast off practice squad tight end.

When the Chiefs picked up the player released by the Jets, there was a comment that that spoke really well about the depth of the Patriots. If you see no parallel between the tight end transaction, you might not be trying very hard.

On whether Pioli is intimately familiar with Robertson's development, well, Robertson was on the practice squad for about six weeks. Then Pioli left. There was no off-season program, drills, pre-season games, or things like that, nor a long period of time to watch his development.

There are always lots of players like this that the Patriots pick up every off-season, and plenty more that are released. A few make it on other teams, like Dane Looker or Robbie Gould or Sean Morey. It's tough to project how other players on the team will progress based on these practice squad transactions.
  26. MetalBleachers

MetalBleachers Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So, wait: Darrell Robertson is going to play tight end? :confused::D

I see patchick's point: the Pats might in fact have greater depth at OLB than we outsiders believe. That a Pats PS OLB who doesn't even make the roster of 80 gets picked up by another team (with a GM familiar with the system) means (ipso facto, just to sound pretentious) that guys like Redd and Crable may have something to contribute beginning in August.

We shall see, patchick. We shall see. :singing:
  27. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Just to correct an oversight in your timeline: NE re-signed Robertson to a futures contract in January, he was one of four Practice Squad kids re-signed.

Listorti may or may not have been re-signed to a futures contract, but with a new Head Coach, NY has been reshuffling the deck to adjust to his program. We speculate that Baker was released for cap room, logical, but look at Baltimore, do they put much value on a blocking TE or do theirs serve primarily as receivers? It just may be that Sexy Rexy wants his offense to be similar too - hence the Baker move and not being interested in Listorti.

Robertson being waived due to a "logjam" at OLB sounds very promising for NE's future. It also may be he was waived to make room for my draft "binky," and "logjam" just suggests NE isn't shopping for another OLB... :cool:
  28. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I'm surprised Robertson wasn't part of the Matt Cassel deal.
  29. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

When the Patriots add 2-3 LBs, there is going to be tons of competition for the final ST/backup spots. So they cut a FA, what's the big deal?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.