PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots versus Indy in the AFC Championship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WIPatriots

Rookie
Reaction score
I've assumed for a while that IF the Patriots get to the AFC Championship that they would play the Colts, a team that traditionally gives us anxiety.

While surfing the INDY chatrooms, I saw the usual "Patriots are weak/overratted/lucky/falling-apart" posts -- you know, the typical insecurities of other teams bleeding through; however, I've also noticed that they INDY fans are having anxiety over the possibility of playing the Chargers, a team that matches up well against INDY.

With SD's recent success and momentum, perhaps these INDY fans are right. Bolts could be the charmed team this year...let's hope we break the charm in Foxboro.

Quite premature to be talking like this. If you are a Pats fan, you should know better. If you're a troll, you're falling right in line.

The Patriots and the Colts ARE NOT a sure bet to make it to the AFCCG. One game at a time and nothing is FOR SURE.

Let's play next week first......

WOW!!!

That COOL AIDE being flowing strong on the forum tonight. LOL

Other than Indy who have the Chargers beaten?

Answer: Nobody

Even Indy they had the perfect storm where Indy was playing their 3rd road game in 4 games and the home game was the emotional game vs the Patriots the week before.

Manning had the worst game of his career with 6 picks and the Chargers could still only win by 2. Any other week Indy rolls.

The only other team with a winning record they have a win against is Tenn and if Tenn doesn't go into a shell they don't win that one.

pats colts is the game almost everyone wants to see followed by pats cowboys before all that pats/jags is gaining alot of media steam as well

no one outside of sd or NE wants to see pats/sd again, from what i gather

All the games in the playoffs are tough. We're at home with a first round bye. This is the best Patriots team ever. They may have some age in the ILBs, but that's really the only weakness. These guys (Bruschi, Seau) are playing fine though.

The only thing that worries me are bogus PI calls.

Indy is the next best, but they can be beaten. I was at the Raiders/Colts game yesterday. They couldn't protect Manning regularly. They stopped the run and made them one dimentional. If it weren't for an inept Oakland offense and a bad call on a Colts catch that was out of bounds, the Raiders--the lowly Raiders--win that game.

((The Raiders should have kept the hot QB in the game. They put Russel in and went conservative. When McCown came back in, he was cold and the offense sputtered. They could use a good receiver. Just think how good they'd be if they had a receiver like Moss (tongue in cheek).))

The Patriots won't make those types of mistakes.

The Jags look pretty good. I don't fear their offense, though. I think you can throw on their defense.

It's football. Whoever plays the best wins. I like our chances.

no one outside of sd or NE wants to see pats/sd again, from what i gather

If they were to beat Indy, a tall task at best in Indy, the media would hype that as big as the other games. SD still has a lot of star power which is what the media outlets love.

I don't know if Indy will make it to the AFC Championship game (granted you might say the same thing about the Pats). Two of the most underrated stories in the NFL are the Colts' injury problems mounting and how their running game has gone to hell in particular how Joseph Addai has become a very average RB at best.

In five of the last six weeks, the Colts had 75 yards rushing (2.9 YPC) vs. San Deigo, 66 yard rushing (2.4 YPC) vs. KC, 63 yards rushing (2.5 YPC) vs. Jacksonville, 59 yards rushing (2.2 YPC) vs. Baltimore, and 58 yards rushing (2.8 YPC) vs. Oakland. The only game since they played the Pats that they had a decent rushing game was Atlanta with 118 rushing yards (4.4 YPC). And the media is trashing the Pats' rushing game.

People are talking about how the Pats are struggling, but the Colts since losing to the Chargers have played no one other than Jacksonville and trailed in the fourth quarter to both the Chiefs and the Raiders. Yet, people don't talk about the Colts' struggles.

Both teams in the AFCC game are likely to be highly talented and playing reasonably well. The Chargers are only beating the Colts, for example, if they put it together better than they have year to date.

I am a "one game at a time" fan, too; however, I am also way more concerned with the playoffs than I am about a perfect regular season, which I believe will be a cake-walk compared to full-throttle games the Pats will face on the way to the Super Bowl.

I also agree that the media is treading lightly re: Indy. Good points below.

I don't know if Indy will make it to the AFC Championship game (granted you might say the same thing about the Pats). Two of the most underrated stories in the NFL are the Colts' injury problems mounting and how their running game has gone to hell in particular how Joseph Addai has become a very average RB at best.

In five of the last six weeks, the Colts had 75 yards rushing (2.9 YPC) vs. San Deigo, 66 yard rushing (2.4 YPC) vs. KC, 63 yards rushing (2.5 YPC) vs. Jacksonville, 59 yards rushing (2.2 YPC) vs. Baltimore, and 58 yards rushing (2.8 YPC) vs. Oakland. The only game since they played the Pats that they had a decent rushing game was Atlanta with 118 rushing yards (4.4 YPC). And the media is trashing the Pats' rushing game.

People are talking about how the Pats are struggling, but the Colts since losing to the Chargers have played no one other than Jacksonville and trailed in the fourth quarter to both the Chiefs and the Raiders. Yet, people don't talk about the Colts' struggles.

Just on a side note and not trying to hijack the thread and I don't know about the AFCCG, but NE does have to come into the New Lucas Oil Stadium next year, in Indy, again.

From today's Indystar.

Sunday's games determined the Colts' final two opponents for the 2008 season, when they move into brand new Lucas Oil Stadium: AFC East champion New England and AFC West winner San Diego.

The Colts also will play division rivals Jacksonville, Tennessee and Houston home and away, the AFC North and the NFC North.

That means home games with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Houston, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit and New England. The Colts will visit their division brethren, as well as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota and San Diego.

Just on a side note and not trying to hijack the thread and I don't know about the AFCCG, but NE does have to come into the New Lucas Oil Stadium next year, in Indy, again.

From today's Indystar.

Sunday's games determined the Colts' final two opponents for the 2008 season, when they move into brand new Lucas Oil Stadium: AFC East champion New England and AFC West winner San Diego.

The Colts also will play division rivals Jacksonville, Tennessee and Houston home and away, the AFC North and the NFC North.

That means home games with Jacksonville, Tennessee, Houston, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Chicago, Detroit and New England. The Colts will visit their division brethren, as well as Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Minnesota and San Diego.

Wow thats going to be a brutal road schedule next year..

From today's Indystar.

I don't mind, I honestly think the only home field that matters for the Pats and Colts is snow and the crazy noise in the RCA dome. Lucas Oil stadium stops that :]

I don't mind, I honestly think the only home field that matters for the Pats and Colts is snow and the crazy noise in the RCA dome. Lucas Oil stadium stops that :]

Polian says all of the sound engineers have told him that you really totally won't know how the sound....sounds until its all the way built referring to Lucas Oil Stadium.

Let me beat everyone to the punch, until then he won't know how much fake noise needs piped in. :D

Yep that could be a tough road sched, depends on when you play the GB, Cleveland games though.

If the Patriots play Indy or the AFCG it will be yet another 'game for the ages'. Even though I vowed to never watch last years game ever again, it was a classic. As were the 03 & 04 games.

Fans on both sides could make credible and incredible cases on why one team is better but IMO they are neck and neck with slight edge to the Patriots because of home field.

I will be both confident and nervous if they play Indy.

I've assumed for a while that IF the Patriots get to the AFC Championship that they would play the Colts, a team that traditionally gives us anxiety.

While surfing the INDY chatrooms, I saw the usual "Patriots are weak/overratted/lucky/falling-apart" posts -- you know, the typical insecurities of other teams bleeding through; however, I've also noticed that they INDY fans are having anxiety over the possibility of playing the Chargers, a team that matches up well against INDY.

With SD's recent success and momentum, perhaps these INDY fans are right. Bolts could be the charmed team this year...let's hope we break the charm in Foxboro.

Indy definitely doesn't want to play us again. We nearly beat them in Indy in 2004, beat them in Indy in 2005 to end their streak and beat them this year.

Charmed? I think not. We've been playing better but, come on, we haven't beaten anybody and we have Norv.

Indy should be the ones with anxiety and they are whistling past the graveyard if they are saying the Pats are falling apart. Without Freeney, the Pats will destroy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back