PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots v. Seahawks: Keys to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brettlax3434

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
So I hear there is a big game on February 1st. No one is talking about it and it's pissing me off. It's time to win the Super Bowl. In my mind there are a few keys to the game:
1. Stop Lynch
2. Stop read option and Wilson breaking edge.
3. Keep Wilson in the pocket when passing.
4. Protect Brady
If we do these things we will be world champions for the forth time. Thoughts?

It really is that simple. Now to execute!!!

There's a game coming up?

4. Protect Brady
I'll admit I haven't watched a lot of Seattle games. But they're not a big sack team. They only had 37 (down from 44 last year). The Patriots had 40, Indy 41, Baltimore 49. However Seattle was 5th best in passer rating against and second best in YPA against. Admittedly they played some piss poor QBs but Football Outsiders also ranks their pass defense 3rd.

So I'm not sure what to make of all that but I think finding ways to get receivers open is a bigger deal than pass protection, the latter should be easier.

There are plenty of game analysis thread, posters are just deciding to congregate in the deflated balls thread instead, unfortunately.

Win the turnover edge. No stupid Brady interceptions that kill momentum.
Don't commit stupid penalties on defense giving up free first downs.
Limit Seattle to field goals in red zone. Score TDs in the red zone instead of FGs.
Make Seattle play from behind and don't fall behind early so McDaniels doesn't exclusively to predictable passing situations. Be productive in the running game and short passing game (& limit holding and OL penalties) on first and second down so you don't have 3rd and Long.
Match Seattle's physicality and emotion.
It will be interesting to see how the refs call defensive holding and PIs in this game. The DBs in this game probably play the most aggressively with hand checking past 5 yards.

Last edited:
Probably could have stopped after 1) Stop Lynch...it is amazing to me to see this team feed off the energy he brings to their offense. I have been to many Seahawks games and the team can be stinking it up play after play and then...BAM "Beast Mode" and the electricity in the stadium goes through the roof, the Seahawks need his spark. They are a very emotional team and fun to watch and they feed off each other like great teams do but without a spark they can be flatter than less emotionally dependent teams..

A statistical aberration I read last night, Russell Wilson has fumbled 11 times this year and Seattle has recovered every one of them. The next closest player in terms of fumbles without a loss is 5. So go for the ball and fall on it.

He probably fumbles because he has small hands, they should use deflated balls. Lololololol

A statistical aberration I read last night, Russell Wilson has fumbled 11 times this year and Seattle has recovered every one of them. The next closest player in terms of fumbles without a loss is 5. So go for the ball and fall on it.
I thought I heard 13 on the radio during their NFCCG. Crazy either way.

On Defense:

-Stop Lynch
-Keep Wilson in the pocket
-Cover the tight end Wilson

On Offense:

-Protect Brady (I am mostly worried about Bennet on one of our guards)
-Be able to run the ball

Can't wait for this game!!!!!!!!

1. Set the edge. Don't let Wilson roll out, don't let Wilson break contain. Disguise well and pressure him with blitzes up the A and B.

2. Bring Lynch down on first contact. Don't let him break tackles and get a head of steam. Wilfork and Siliga need to win their battles to keep him under wraps.

3. Get Blount going between the tackles. If there's a soft spot on that defensive front, it's their DT's. Hit them with a few nice interior runs, cause them to crash, and it opens things up for some big time misdirection plays on the outside.

4. Interior pass protection is also huge. Seattle can try to pressure Brady off the edges all they want. It won't matter if he has a clean pocket. A and B gap pass protection are huge.

5. Target Maxwell and Chancellor as often as possible as they're the weak links in coverage but you cannot be afraid to go after Sherman. Test his elbow. Line up either Gronk or LaFell on him and make him prove that he can still press with both arms. If he can't, there's blood in the water.

Pretty much agree with all that's been said. OP hit the mains.

Josh needs to have a good day, mixing play calls effectively. Get Gronk in beast mode, lots of Blount force trauma.

Wonder if they can set up Blount and Gronk so Sherman has to make the hits on them?

I think our key offensively is the short passing game with Edelman, Amendola and Vereen. Quick, shifty guys on their LBs and lanky defensive backs. Let Gronk and LaFell clear out the short zones then start pecking away, mixing in the power running game with Blount. Stay uptempo. The Squawks will be dragging their tails.

It could go any number of ways, but I think Lynch looks like Lynch breaking tackles, making big plays, and running for 80 or more. As long as it's not closer to 200 that's acceptable to me. Keeping Wilson from converting on 3rd with his feet and scrambling passes and avoiding the associated long drives is the key on defense.
Offense is harder to describe, but it seems like once the Patriots establish their flow, they can beat any defense. Seattle will basically need constant pressure on Brady and to stifle the run completely to stop this from happening in this game.
I see it going down as either a Patriots blowout, or a high scoring shootout. Of course now that I say that, it will probably be 7-6.

what did Green Bay do that was successful? they made Seattle look mortal for 55 minutes of that game. or the cowboys in their win?

on offense:
1. keep the QB standing
2. Establish a running game.

on defense:
1. stop marshawn lynch, which is easier said than done. But limit him to short yardage. dont let him get going.
2. Put Russell wilson in 3rd and long situations and KEEP HIM IN THE POCKET. Make him have to beat you with his arm and their average receivers against our secondary. its when he scrambles and guys lose their assignment that he hits the big play
3. stop their zone read offense.

Bumping another substantive thread back to the top. We're on to the Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes