PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Type player thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, we have been looking a the triangle and cone #'s, rankings, and draft gurus overall opinions. That 1s like looking at nice new shiny car and kicking the tires.

Now on this thread we pop open the hood and try to find players that fit the Patriots type. So your mission, if you accept it, is to go beyond the talent and the drills and find out why a player will fit the Patriots. or why they won't.

Here is my first one;
Here is my first one;Clay Matthews LB USC

Smart, hard worker, plays all out all the time. Can play all LB positions and is big enough to play ILB. Has a big upside and is dedicated to football. Decent in coverage. And he has the size,weight, speed for a NE LB. Selfless team player adn excellent on ST's.

I'm usually not big on USC players but he is a better choice than Cushing, IMO.

He has replaced Paul Kruger as my "must get" guy in the second round.

Next up is Bear Pascoe, TE Fresno

TE version of Logan Makins. Tough , competitive, team captain, solid character. Excellent blocker and has good hands. Can long snap. Not a long threat but will get open in the short areas and is tough to bring down and will fight for every yard.. Rodeo rider. Needs to develope his nut punch to be Mankins. Love to have a player named Bear.
4th or 5th rounder- maybe 6th.

Last edited:
Clay Matthews and Chung from Oregon. Also Rashard Johnson from Alabama. I know we just signed Sanders but Chung and Johnson would be solid additions.

One More.... Probably day 2 is jason phillips from TCU.

Plays smart. lines up the defense and makes the calls. has a nose for the ball Coach's Son.

Best fit ILB. groom with Bruschi. not a three down LB. Ted Johnson type.

Louis Delmas said:
"I talked to the D-coordinator for a good 15 minutes," Delmas said. "We got along well. He let me know out front that I'd be able to fit into the defense, but he told me that it's going to require a lot of film work, a lot of time in the playbook. I'm willing to do that. That's the type of person I am. I love to watch film. I can find the little things about the opposing teams. I'd think I'd be able to fit into there. At the school I was at I was always playing free and strong. There were positions where I had to drop down into the box and play linebacker and play deep middle as a man free. Going into the league, I see myself as just a safety. I can play strong or free. I can play nickel. You got to be able to play multiple positions in the league."

Watching some of his games, Delmas was barking signals from the backfield on most defensive snaps. On one occasion, he went up and physically moved a linebacker into a 9-tech line shift when he didn't make the strongside shift. Doesn't hurt that he can flat out ball.

There are many Patriots type players that just don't fit the system. I just want to focus on those that look like they do and the Patriots have a reasonable shot at drafting.

M. Jenkins of OSU does fit the Patriots type player. Let's hope that his bad combine workout drops him to 23.

Certainly Curry does but he will be long gone before the Patriots have a shot at him.

Last edited:
No offense but just the title makes me cringe. Patriots type player? hasn't the mystic been rubbed off by now? Outside a few messed up teams (Detroit, Bengals, Oakland) all teams want this type of player.

Merriweather kicked a guy at a bottom of a pile. Moss ran over a meter maid, Dillion, while he was Dillion.

The only rhetoric that resonates is BB quote 'must love football', these are the players who get better each year and devote themselves to improving.

Random rant is over, please continue.

No offense but just the title makes me cringe. Patriots type player? hasn't the mystic been rubbed off by now? Outside a few messed up teams (Detroit, Bengals, Oakland) all teams want this type of player.

Merriweather kicked a guy at a bottom of a pile. Moss ran over a meter maid, Dillion, while he was Dillion.

The only rhetoric that resonates is BB quote 'must love football', these are the players who get better each year and devote themselves to improving.

You are never going to be 100%. But a Patriots type player is more than just a good guy. Smart, works hard, loves football, plays multiple position, leadership skills. And talented has to be in the mix.

I guess if you have been a Patriots fan during the BB era, you should know what one is. We can all point to several exceptions and misjudgments but there is such a thing.

Last edited:
Is this draft considered a relatively strong one for the pats considering some of their needs (lb and db), it seems like there are plenty of options that will be their for the pats at linebacker, considering their position in the draft, and also some decent options at cb/safety. So how does this draft class stack up?

Jarius Byrd CB/S Ore Could be a better pro than a college player. Mid to late 2nd rounder at this time.

Are we talking about players that fit New England's schemes in this years draft?

I'll go with Malcolm Jenkins. Bill mentioned him when he was describing the hybrid CB/S that can cover an athletic TE.

Also, I think a player that loves football is the determining factor in the draft and FA.

Are we talking about players that fit New England's schemes in this years draft?

I'll go with Malcolm Jenkins. Bill mentioned him when he was describing the hybrid CB/S that can cover an athletic TE.

Also, I think a player that loves football is the determining factor in the draft and FA.

Actually I hope that Jenkins lousy combine drops him into the Patriots lap at #23. He certainly fits the definition. It happened with Big Vince so maybe it will happen again.

Moss did not run over a meter maid. He should not have used his car to push her though, that was dumb. She was not harmed but she could have been.

Besides the guys mentioned. Larry English, the next Lamar Woodley according to Mike Mayock.

Deangelo Smith CB Ciny. He is Pepper Johnos's nephew and fit the mold of a PTP..

And of coarse there is Conner
love_390.gif
Barwin who is a PTP X5.

Besides the guys mentioned. Larry English, the next Lamar Woodley according to Mike Mayock.

I guess that would make him a Steelers type player ;)

I would like to add Mike Thomas, WR, Arizona to the list. He's very comparable to Wes Welker. A day 2 pick that could bring some nice depth.

Last edited:

:agree: It's hard to think of a team owner calling a meeting to announce, "Hey, let's go out and get a dips**t with no work ethic and questionable character!"

Unless, of course, it's Al Davis or Jerry Jones. :)

Deangelo Smith CB Ciny. He is Pepper Johnos's nephew and fit the mold of a PTP..

And of coarse there is Conner
love_390.gif
Barwin who is a PTP X5,000.

Fixed your post for you. ;) :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back