PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trying to trade up to #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots trying to trade up to #8

OTOH, Jimmy Johnson's advice was to have a list of 25 players, across all rounds, that you really wanted on your team, and then manipulate your draft board to get as many of them as you can. That's not really compatible with a mega-trade up.

Again, I'm not saying that it would never happen, merely that it would really be a glaring change from years past.

I think the Pats will move up, but maybe not to #6. The Pats have never had two picks in each of the first three rounds with three picks in the top 33. So we don't know how that will change their strategy.

Hoyer
Woodhead, (Kettani)
Tate, Edelman, Price
Gronkowski, Hernandez
Vollmer, Ohrnberger

Brace, Pryor, Deaderick, Weston, Love, (Richard)
Cunningham, Fletcher
Butler, McCourty
Chung, Brown

Mesko

Over 20 guys on the roster from the past two drafts. Do the Pats need 10 more?

I say no, so the options are trade to next year, again, or trade up.

I am all for really trading up.

Analysts say that there's not much difference between #17 and #45. I think that's because it's a fairly weak class.

If the opportunity is there to move to #6 and get Quinn, I would definitely do it. I'd rather have Quinn than, say, Brace, Chung, and Tate - a bunch of second & third rounders you would lose out on by moving up.

Just because BB hasn't done whatever before does not indicate that it won't happen. Precident does not drive him; doing what's best for the team in the context of the environment does. BB looks at trends in the league, what others are doing and what his most problematic competitors do to his squad. Then he uses whatever tools he has to improve his competitiveness. If it means trading up to get A guy that makes the D as a whole improve, he'll do it. He is not bound by past tradition or tendencies and obviously has no fear of job security.

Bill also has a degree in economics, and given the present uncertainty regarding ongoing labor, compensation and cap rules or lack thereof, I cannot see him tossing his fundamental value system or conservative/careful approach to future consequence in long range planning.

This could also be a message to #6 Cleveland to soften their demands, because the Patriots might be happy just moving to #8.

Despite all the severe weather around here, imagine my surprise when I saw a pig flying today.

But, as someone on this board noted, the most he's ever given up in a move up is a mid-third.

Trading up using some combination of 17, 28, 60, or God forbid 33 would be unheard of for BB.

I'm pretty sure Bill moved up in the First to get Ty Warren in 2003. You can check and make sure I'm right, but If memory serves, that's correct.

It may not have been a big move, but it was in the first and it was a pick of need - Which would be the same now. I'm sure the Raiders pick to him is currency and he'll package it to get the player he wants, providing they are available.

It never ceases to amaze me that NFL fans and mediots approach each draft like it was their first rodeo...

I'm pretty sure Bill moved up in the First to get Ty Warren in 2003. You can check and make sure I'm right, but If memory serves, that's correct.

It may not have been a big move, but it was in the first and it was a pick of need - Which would be the same now. I'm sure the Raiders pick to him is currency and he'll package it to get the player he wants, providing they are available.

I think he gave up a #2 to get Daniel Graham.

I think he gave up a #2 to get Daniel Graham.

Note what I said: the highest pick he's given up to make that move is a third-rounder. Even the Graham trade only involved a 3 and a 7.

BB has never used a second-round pick to trade up. Again, he might this year, but he hasn't yet seen enough value to do it in the past.

They gave up a 3 and a 7.

Well, It was their only Pick in Round one in 2002, we won the Super Bowl so he did in fact move up to pick Daniel.

It changed hands a few times, but we eneded up picking him 21st overall.

There are many examples of Bill moving up, in the First, second, third, etc.

It's just a urban legend that the man never moves up. Consider that myth....busted.

if they are trying to trade up to #6 it's for Von Miller and IMO he will be gone by #6 the only outher player i see the pats tradeing up into the top 10 for is jones

Bill also has a degree in economics, and given the present uncertainty regarding ongoing labor, compensation and cap rules or lack thereof, I cannot see him tossing his fundamental value system or conservative/careful approach to future consequence in long range planning.

Good one Mo. I also think Bill is smart enough to know trading into next year with the fact that the NFLPA is winning in every court battle could eliminate the Draft in 2012 as we know it. Stupid, stupid, stupid to trade into next year without a CBA. If he wants picks, trade players we no longer need after this Draft and how the roster looks and the CBA is in place.
Maybe that is why he takes some positions in this Draft we will scratch our head about. He is setting up for Free Agency if it still exists. Cash you chips now BB. Makes sense.
DW Toys

Last night Todd Mcshay said that he had multiple sources telling him that the Patriots would trade up to either #10 Washington or #9 Dallas. Target: Cam Jordon, who I've felt for a couple of weeks is the guy they are after.

Note what I said: the highest pick he's given up to make that move is a third-rounder. Even the Graham trade only involved a 3 and a 7.

BB has never used a second-round pick to trade up. Again, he might this year, but he hasn't yet seen enough value to do it in the past.

Yea, I see what your saying. I assume your correct, I dont remember all the moves.

But the thing here is, I don't think he cares what the trade is - It's all about how he applies value to the player.

I personally don't think there is a chance in hell he gives up the first 2nd round pick, that pick may be one of the most valuable in the draft given that teams will have all night to think about who they want and what they will do to get that guy.

But, I do feel as if Bill will move up in the first.

Last night Todd Mcshay said that he had multiple sources telling him that the Patriots would trade up to either #10 Washington or #9 Dallas. Target: Cam Jordon, who I've felt for a couple of weeks is the guy they are after.
I don't think they'd have to trade up to 9 or 10 to get Jordon. More likely early teens at the earliest.

Last edited:

I think Cam Jordon will be there at 17, they don't have to move up for him. I have not seen a mock with him going earlier than 17 - But I'm sure one exists somewhere.

They moved up one spot to get Warren. BB gave Jerry Angelo a 6 to switch places with him because other teams were trying to do a deal with the Bears.

On the one hand, I hope they don't trade up that high for Jordan b/c I think he's entirely get-able at #17. On the other hand, I'd be pretty psyched if they're that "up" for anyone that they'd be willing to go get him like that. That's a very good sign for that player.

Rumors, smokescreens, and hogwash! Pats won't move up to #6 unless they get a steeply discounted deal. Who would they even target there?

Last edited:
I think Cam Jordon will be there at 17, they don't have to move up for him. I have not seen a mock with him going earlier than 17 - But I'm sure one exists somewhere.

FWIW, I just checked 7 sites final rankings- 1 had him at 11, 2 at 12,1 at 13, and 3 at 14. Then it all comes down to who you can do business. And who knows if another team who is actually picking has him rated higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back