PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots' Training Camp Day 3 (Sunday July 28)

20lbs=/20lbs of muscle. I lose/gain 10lbs on a week to week basis. Some guys can do it on a day to day basis. Muscle is a very small percentage of whats lost. Not to mention the pics of him fully clothed at a party are next to useless when determining body comp.
No one thinks Gronk was fat last year.
No one thinks Grook is fat this year.

He's lost at least 20 pounds from last year.

Picking at semantics about body composition is pointless.

As is to be expected, we're getting inconsistent reports about individual players. That's great to see.

Now thats how you give live updates. My phone had aweful connection yesterday and today so I am not sure how you could do this and so much of it. I have a smart phone and the speed is usually good but at Gillette it is aweful.

:youtheman:

Thanks, but the opinions were not mine. I'm just the messenger sitting on my couch and relaying comments and viewpoints from a variety of sources, both professional and amateur, that were on twitter.

The credentialed writers are not allowed to tweet until practice is over so many of the early, real-time comments came from bloggers here at PatsFans (Steve Balestrieri, Derek Havens and Russ Goldman) as well as a couple other fans that were in attendance. The comments toward the end were primarily from beat writers (Mike Reiss, Christopher Price, Jeff Howe, Doug Kyed, Mike Giardi, Ben Volin, Zuri Berry, etc.) that were allowed to tweet their opinions at that point.

It was a little more work than I thought it would be (that's why I stopped linking) but I thought it might be fun to put something like that together in near-real time.

Thompkins double move on Dennard......

Everybody hop on the wagon now.

Thanks, but the opinions were not mine. I'm just the messenger sitting on my couch and relaying comments and viewpoints from a variety of sources, both professional and amateur, that were on twitter.

The credentialed writers are not allowed to tweet until practice is over so many of the early, real-time comments came from bloggers here at PatsFans (Steve Balestrieri, Derek Havens and Russ Goldman) as well as a couple other fans that were in attendance. The comments toward the end were primarily from beat writers (Mike Reiss, Christopher Price, Jeff Howe, Doug Kyed, Mike Giardi, Ben Volin, Zuri Berry, etc.) that were allowed to tweet their opinions at that point.

It was a little more work than I thought it would be (that's why I stopped linking) but I thought it might be fun to put something like that together in near-real time.

:youtheman::youtheman:

... and so say all of us.

You may not be Mike Rodak but it's obvious you are one of the most clear minded, efficient posters in Ian's bullpen of mods. Thanks for pulling things together for us simple fans.

No one thinks Gronk was fat last year.
No one thinks Grook is fat this year.

He's lost at least 20 pounds from last year.

Picking at semantics about body composition is pointless.

muscle and fat are 2 different things, they serve completely different purposes. Saying Gronk lost 20lbs is concerning enough, saying he lost 20lbs of muscle which would take years to put back on without the use of PEDs is completely different. TBH I'd be surprised if Gronk came into the season under 255lbs.

Do any camp attendees have feedback on these questions below.

1. What position is Collins seeing time at on defense? DE, OLB?
2. Is Buchanan playing off the left or right side of the DL?
3. Is Brandon Ford showing anything in camp?
4. Is Vega seeing any snaps? If so are they at OLB or DE?
5. Are Francis and Cunningham seeing reps inside? If so who is the lead dog currently?
6. Who is the lead dog at safety next to McCourty thus far?
7. Who is seeing time behind Kelly and Wilfork? Fortson?
8. How are the Rutgers DB's fairing (Harmon, Ryan)?

I know its only day 3 so if my questions maybe premature.

muscle and fat are 2 different things, they serve completely different purposes. Saying Gronk lost 20lbs is concerning enough, saying he lost 20lbs of muscle which would take years to put back on without the use of PEDs is completely different.

I don't think it would take a couple of years, muscle generally has memory and being a 23-24 year old guy I'm sure it would be back within a 3-6 month period. I also think it was a mixture of body fat and muscle, and not all body fat is negative so don't take that the wrong way.

As is to be expected, we're getting inconsistent reports about individual players. That's great to see.

One person's weight loss is another person's muscle loss. The science of opinion.

Christopher Price has a nice detailed review of today's practice:

It Is What It Is » Sunday practice notes: Individual battles highlight first padded practice of summer

3. The cornerbacks and wide receivers teamed up on an interesting drills that focused on blocking and hands work. Depending on whether it was a run or pass play, the two had to lock up. Throughout the drill, it appeared that wide receiver Lavelle Hawkins occasionally struggled to gain separation as well as engage as a blocker (at one point, he had his helmet knocked off his head), while rookie Aaron Dobson more than held his own against corners Ras-I Dowling and Stephon Morris. Receiver Kamar Aiken did a nice job getting past cornerback Alfonzo Dennard on another play, while receiver Danny Amendola and cornerback Aqib Talib battled to a draw on a few plays when they went head-to-head. (Not sure if this was by design or because they were parallel in line, but it seemed like Amendola and Talib went against each other an awful lot throughout the day. For the most part, they seemed to battle to a draw.)

Shortly after that, the receivers and corners went head-to-head again in a passing drill. In that sequence, receiver Michael Jenkins went up and made a nice catch over corner Justin Green, while Amendola beat Kyle Arrington long, but Arrington later recovered nicely and came away with the pass breakup. In addition, Talib made a nice play on Matthew Slater, sticking with the speedy receiver all the way down the field and batting the ball away. Dobson and Dennard went head-to-head on multiple occasions: First, Dobson, jumped up and over Dennard and had both hands on the pass, but Dennard batted the ball away at the last second. The next time around, Dobson beat him to the inside neatly and came away with the reception.​

Last edited:
Do any camp attendees have feedback on these questions below.

1. What position is Collins seeing time at on defense? DE, OLB?
2. Is Buchanan playing off the left or right side of the DL?
3. Is Brandon Ford showing anything in camp?
4. Is Vega seeing any snaps? If so are they at OLB or DE?
5. Are Francis and Cunningham seeing reps inside? If so who is the lead dog currently?
6. Who is the lead dog at safety next to McCourty thus far?
7. Who is seeing time behind Kelly and Wilfork? Fortson?
8. How are the Rutgers DB's fairing (Harmon, Ryan)?

I know its only day 3 so if my questions maybe premature.

All excellent questions. I haven't been at camp but I've been paying close attention to every report I can find. For 1, Collins has mostly been the strong side linebacker when Spikes subs out and Hightower moves to the middle. I've also heard of him playing some DE. Next to McCourty, it looks pretty set with Adrian Wilson. I've read absolutely nothing about Harmon and only a few things about Ryan (he got burned once or twice either the first or second day). I'd really like to know the answers to the rest as well.

One person's weight loss is another person's muscle loss. The science of opinion.

I was referring to the mixed reports about players on the field (i.e. Dobson)....

Having players getting different takes gives us specific areas to look at.

Tough day for Ridley. Good to hear about Dobson, Boyce, the secondary, and Tebow.

I hope that concussion Ridley suffered in the afc championship game hasn't made him afraid of contact.

You missed pics last month of a "skinny" Gronk recovering. Lost 20 LBS easy. Not a real problem. Time to recover 10 LBS.

20 lbs of muscle loss is cancer/starvation territory. It's understandable that a well-fed man such as yourself wouldn't know this.

Pat Kirwin on Sirius NFL Radio is high on what he saw out of Dobson and Boyce today. He went as far as to say by November he wouldn't be surprised if they were the starters and Amedola being the third man in. I think he was going overboard a bit there, but he has been glowing about the rooks.

More on Kirwin:

- Likes the DEs.
- Concerned about the depth at DT. Doesn't see a legitimate #3.
- Thinks the Pats will be in the market for another TE.

Day 3 practice report: Contact drills - espnBoston | Field Yates

The pads afforded the Patriots the chance to more extensively evaluate the roster, especially the linemen, who took part in various contact drills.

In the first viewing of one-on-one pass rush drills, second-year defensive end Chandler Jones impressed in duels with left tackle Nate Solder, while it appears that Dan Connolly (shoulder) is not quite 100 percent, as he was withheld from the drill, with Marcus Cannon taking top right guard reps.

The Patriots will next practice in front of season-ticket holders on Monday night in Gillette Stadium, with a ceremony to induct former linebacker Tedy Bruschi and longtime radio voice Gil Santos into the team's hall of fame prior to the on-field work.​

Talib: Good release by Dobson, Thompkins - espnBoston | Field Yates

Talib has already noticed one trait that Dobson and Thompkins share, highlighting their ability to release off the line.

"[Dobson's] got good releases off the line," Talib told reporters on Sunday. "That's what I think he does real good. Him, KT [Thompkins], they're both pretty good at releasing off the line."

Pressed further on what traits makes them successful at releasing off the line, Talib offered, "I don't know what it is, speed, quickness, strength. You either got it or you don't. They got it."

Talib shared praise for a fellow defensive back, too, noting that Alfonzo Dennard has trimmed down this offseason. Dennard was a standout performer during Saturday's workout, breaking up multiple passes and intercepting another.

"We've seen it all the way through OTA's and everything," Talib said of Dennard's improvement. "He dropped a little weight, and he's definitely out here moving better and he look real good right now."

Talib, entering his first full season as a Patriot, has quickly grown comfortable with the pair of other top cornerbacks.

"[We're] good," he said. "We laugh, we joke, we help each other in the classroom, on and off the field; [we're] good."​

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back