PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp- Day 1 Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
plus. there were times last year where Branch looked like he was running in molasses. I doubt there's much left in the tank, unless i missed somewhere that he was playing injured last year.

I wouldn't be so fast to count Branch out and i think he was injured at times last season. It really did look like as if we was running in quicksand. And despite being the #4 target 50 catches for 700 yards is hardly bad.

That being said it's gonna be interesting with Lloyd,Gaffney and Stallworth now in the mix.

Gronk,AH,Wes,Lloyd,Gaffney,Stallworth,Branch,Shiancoe - i'm still giddy as a schoolgirl thinking about it.

Last edited:
plus. there were times last year where Branch looked like he was running in molasses. I doubt there's much left in the tank, unless i missed somewhere that he was playing injured last year.

I just doubt that a guy like Edelman would be shown the door to keep Branch, who is already limited, in his last yr here (likely), and won't see the field too much in the first place.

You can love or hate Edelman, but he's younger, faster, and more of a potential piece of the current and future roster in my opinion.

I wouldn't be so fast to count Branch out and i think he was injured at times last season. It really did look like as if we was running in quicksand. And despite being the #4 target 50 catches for 700 yards is hardly bad.

That being said it's gonna be interesting with Lloyd,Gaffney and Stallworth now in the mix.

Gronk,AH,Wes,Lloyd,Gaffney,Stallworth,Branch,Shiancoe - i'm still giddy as a schoolgirl thinking about it.

You make a case for Branch, no doubt about that one. However when it comes time to build the roster, I think that Belichick would be looking at versatility, youth, speed (shiftiness in this case), ST presence, etc.

And that's not even bringing up any thoughts on the future, and whether or not Edelman can effectively play the slot if/when Welker leaves next year.

He may not be a great WR as a whole, but in his limited time period role as our primary slot guy, he seemed to look okay to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again now. I don't think I've ever been as excited for a football season as I am for this one. And that includes 2002, 2004, 2005, 2007, and 2008, when the team was either coming off a SB victory or seemed like they were ready to dominate.

This little article only encourages me in my delirium.

I am so totally savoring every report I see, so thanks for this one.

I was checking out Bedard's report and I have to say a few things caught my eye. Now, it's early of course — and camp is when excitement by success on when side is tempered by the shortcomings of the other side — but some of this sounded a little too familiar:

QB Tom Brady and WR Jabar Gaffney hooked up on the play of the day – a bomb of some 55 yards down the right sideline – over CB Alfonzo Dennard and ahead of late-charging S Josh Barrett.

- Brady went deep middle to Donte’ Stallworth, who had gotten behind CB Devin McCourty with no safety help.

- CB Ras-I Dowling, apparently, made it through the practice unscathed, which is better than he did last season. Dowling was unimpressive. He got beat over the top three times. It doesn’t appear he has learned how to use his size.

... The offense had its way with the cornerbacks as an entire group. Being able to hit the quarterback would have helped, but this was not a great start by the secondary.

A lot of this gave me flashbacks to the biggest frustrations from last year. Obviously not a true test, but I feel like this will be a big area to watch over the coming weeks. Hopefully practicing against a great offense will speed up the improvements.

On the plus side were the glowing reports on the offense and (here's where Pats fans get to drool just a little) Hightower.

Last edited:
I am so totally savoring every report I see, so thanks for this one.

I was checking out Bedard's report and I have to say a few things caught my eye. Now, it's early of course — and camp is when excitement by success on when side is tempered by the shortcomings of the other side — but some of this sounded a little too familiar:

A lot of this gave me flashbacks to the biggest frustrations from last year. Obviously not a true test, but I feel like this will be a big area to watch over the coming weeks. Hopefully practicing against a great offense will speed up the improvements.

On the plus side were the glowing reports on the offense and (here's where Pats fans get to drool just a little) Hightower.

These are non contact drills.

The worry would be the passes are not being completed.

It also sounds like they're moving the DBs around a lot, trying corners at safety and vice versa, trying to find the right combinations. Safety competition after Chung is wide open IMO.

Ditto. Plus, offenses are always ahead of defenses early in camp anyway.

What people liked about Dowling in his limited exposure last year was how physical he was off the line. That is what is going to make him a good CB if be comes a good CB. In non-contact drills, you take his biggest strength.

Again, it was one training camp practice. People need to stop making conclusions based on one practice.

Last edited:
Ditto. Plus, offenses are always ahead of defenses early in camp anyway.

What people liked about Dowling in his limited exposure last year was how physical he was off the line. That is what is going to make him a good CB if be comes a good CB. In non-contact drills, you take his biggest strength.

Again, it was one training camp practice. People need to stop making conclusions based on one practice.

The only reason that would be true in this case is due to cohesiveness in the system for teams like us, the Saints, and the Packers. But, typically, it's the defense that comes out ahead of the offense.

Brady shreds every secondary so Im not suprised he is doing it against our sub par talent early in TC. Not a shocker.

Just to add some context to this conversation I was at camp yesterday and I agree it seemed as though Gaffney and Stallworth never left but I also thought Branch looked good too. He made a few nice catches in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 and he looked faster on day one then I remember from last year with injury he dealt with.

Just because there were reports of Stallworth and Gaffney looking good doesn't mean Branch looked bad.

I came out of yesterday confirming that the WR battle will be real interesting.

I agree about not jumping to conclusions and I don't think people are. We're just discussing observations from the first day of practice — which is all we have. It's important to be measured in enthusiasm about Gaffney or concern over the defense at this point; both have a lot of work ahead of them. Come February, no one will remember even the first week of practice. But I still think it's fair game for discussing along the way.

On another subject: On the ride in today I heard Zolak mention that Vereen saw a lot of KR reps yesterday (the first day). That's another area I'll be interested in seeing develop.

I agree that there isn't enough information from one practice for any projections to be made. Nor is there enough for any major concerns to be agitated, so while the O-line and Secondary struggled it was the first day.

There were a number of things to be pleased about in the report, but I want them reiterated throughout the camp before I think they will be consistently shown when the real games are played.

Things I liked:

Hightower - seems to command a lot of attention and high regard. Again it's only day one and I am wondering how I can prevent my expectations getting out of control.

Brady - what a way to lead, comes into camp and sets the example for readiness and ability to execute. Again its day 1 and it was no contact but love the fact that it appeared Gaffney and Stallworth seamlessly connected. Also happy to hear Lloyd connecting in traffic and Branch recovered some speed.

Rookies - 5 of the 7 getting involved early, either in sub packages or second string. Still too early to say but it doesn't sound as if Wilson, Bequette or Dennard are that far behind the vets.

McDaniels - is it my imagination or does he really seem thrilled to be back in the Patriot machine?

Slight disappointments:

Backup QBs - I know its not fair to compare them to Brady, but I expected Hoyer to be closer to 12's execution and readiness than he was (it is his 3rd TC after all). And Mallet, according to one report, looked as if he was aiming his throws thereby displaying a show on where he was going. Trade bait - hardly.

O-line - yes its in flux and missing 4 of last years 5 starters (Mankins, Light, Waters and Volmer) but it sounds as if this group has the furthest to go (just a bit further than the secondary). Will be watching this one very carefully.

No observations on the running game - though its probable that it wasn't the focus of this particular practice session. But with no Addai who is going to step up to be the blocker/catching RB this season, it cant just be Woodhead? There are still 2 slots open on the roster

Secondary - narrowly behind the 0-line in "you're kidding right?" stakes - it seems that they were out of position or couldn't close all day long, and only a single interception and that by a 2nd or 3rd stringer. Coaches may be high on Dowling but was hoping for more, even on the first day.

Now its on to Day 2 - looking for consistency on the likes and improvement on the disappointments.

Last edited:
Stallworth should make the team over Edelman. Would rather have someone who can do something well than a guy who does many things poorly. Someone else can return punts, and we won't miss the production there.

Thank you, I've been trying to make this point as well during the offseason. I think Edelman's versatility gets overblown. Sure, he can do three things, but if he only does one of them (punt return) above the average NFL player is he REALLY versatile?

I'm not necessarily leading the charge for him to get cut, but I think he should be evaluated mostly as a special teams guy and NOT as a WR or DB.

Just to add some context to this conversation I was at camp yesterday and I agree it seemed as though Gaffney and Stallworth never left but I also thought Branch looked good too. He made a few nice catches in 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 and he looked faster on day one then I remember from last year with injury he dealt with.

Yes, Branch actually snagged one that was headed straight for the ground.

If I recall correctly, Gaffney got the only "jeer" (gasp) from the crowd when he dropped a pass from Brady in a defense-less pattern. Not saying that means anything, just saying.

I agree about not jumping to conclusions and I don't think people are. We're just discussing observations from the first day of practice — which is all we have. It's important to be measured in enthusiasm about Gaffney or concern over the defense at this point; both have a lot of work ahead of them. Come February, no one will remember even the first week of practice. But I still think it's fair game for discussing along the way.

On another subject: On the ride in today I heard Zolak mention that Vereen saw a lot of KR reps yesterday (the first day). That's another area I'll be interested in seeing develop.

Two competing headlines:

Traffic fails to rundown pedestrians.

Pedestrians run down by traffic.

Since not getting rundown crossing the road should be expected, it's not that big of a deal.

Chandler Jones is wearing a knee brace on both knees.

I wonder how bad that will hurt his speed. Yea he showed good speed at the combine, but he wasn't wearing knee braces at the time.

I've heard enough (one blurb) to put me over the edge.

Stallworth should make the team over Edelman. Would rather have someone who can do something well than a guy who does many things poorly. Someone else can return punts, and we won't miss the production there.

I'm with you on this, I think Stallworth brings more to the table.

Chandler Jones is wearing a knee brace on both knees.

I wonder how bad that will hurt his speed. Yea he showed good speed at the combine, but he wasn't wearing knee braces at the time.
It's precautionary to stop him going Bones Jones on his teammates with flying knees.

It's precautionary to stop him going Bones Jones on his teammates with flying knees.

hehe but serious anyone know why he's wearing 2 knee braces and if its something he'll play with the entire season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes