PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Trade Hooman to the Saints for Akiem Hicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like maybe another case of BB nabbing a 3-4 misfit for his 4-3.

Which is, of course, the opposite of what he did early in Patriots tenure.

Hicks is joining a team well known to give opportunity and reward performance, with a healthy locker room chemistry and a winning culture. If his focus and work ethic aren't up to it he will quickly follow the Albert Haynesworth progression through the depth chart, but I don't think that's very likely. More likely is that he responds to the peer pressure and competitive expectations by applying himself and performing to the levels he has attained in the past. Worst case is, after doing that he gets a good deal somewhere else and the Pats get a compensatory draft pick for losing him to free agency. Best case is, he likes it here, we like having him here, and he gets a contract extension and sticks around for a few years. Good upside, not much downside, for a reasonable price.

Also see this as a good thing for Hooman, he gets a better chance to showcase his talents in a contract year. I sometimes wonder whether Belichick considers such factors when he makes moves like this. Hooman has been a good soldier, this move doesn't screw him over as much as getting cut would've, for sure.

Agree on both points. I don't think Hicks has any locker room issues and has been reported as a hard worker. The locker room problems were with woman whipping Junior Galette and party animal Kenny Stills. Hicks may thrive with the Pats as a 4-3 DT.

As for Hooman, he is likely to get way more playing time in NO as the 2/3 TE and special teamer. NE has the best group of TE's in the league, so why not give Hooman a chance in a different setting.

The new locations could work out well for both players.

Last edited:
Agree on both points. I don't think Hicks has any locker room issues and has been reported as a hard worker. The locker room problems were with woman whipping Junior Galette and party animal Kenny Stills. Hicks may thrive with the Pats as a 4-3 DT.

As for Hooman, he is likely to get way more playing time in NO as the 2/3 TE and special teamer. NE has the best group of TE's in the league, so why not give Hooman in a different setting.

Hooman was on the verge of getting cut. This is a coup.

Reminds me of when BB brought in Jonathan Sullivan. He was a high pick DT from Georgia and played with Sey there. He was on the Saints and did nothing there. He came here and flamed out.

Let's hope that isn't the case here.

I don't think that will be the case. Hicks may fail but I doubt it is anything like Sullivan was.

Sullivan was a disappointment right after being drafted, he never showed promise as I recall. He had a tendency to put on weight and that combined with lack of discipline and being in the food capital of the U.S. in New Orleans, spelled disaster.

The Saints traded their bust for our bust, Bethel Johnson, straight up.

We got a potential bargain, but a guy who already got paid, and was unlikely to put in the effort to lose the weight and resurrect his career.

I'm not sure he even survived training camp. The guy totally wasted his God-given talent.

I don't think that will be the case. Hicks may fail but I doubt it is anything like Sullivan was.

Sullivan was a disappointment right after being drafted, he never showed promise as I recall. He had a tendency to put on weight and that combined with lack of discipline and being in the food capital of the U.S. in New Orleans, spelled disaster.

The Saints traded their bust for our bust, Bethel Johnson, straight up.

We got a potential bargain, but a guy who already got paid, and was unlikely to put in the effort to lose the weight and resurrect his career.

I'm not sure he even survived training camp. The guy totally wasted his God-given talent.
Yep. At least Hicks has produced. Sully did zip.

Hicks is joining a team well known to give opportunity and reward performance, with a healthy locker room chemistry and a winning culture. If his focus and work ethic aren't up to it he will quickly follow the Albert Haynesworth progression through the depth chart, but I don't think that's very likely. More likely is that he responds to the peer pressure and competitive expectations by applying himself and performing to the levels he has attained in the past. Worst case is, after doing that he gets a good deal somewhere else and the Pats get a compensatory draft pick for losing him to free agency. Best case is, he likes it here, we like having him here, and he gets a contract extension and sticks around for a few years. Good upside, not much downside, for a reasonable price.

Also see this as a good thing for Hooman, he gets a better chance to showcase his talents in a contract year. I sometimes wonder whether Belichick considers such factors when he makes moves like this. Hooman has been a good soldier, this move doesn't screw him over as much as getting cut would've, for sure.

Great post. Totally agree. This is as good of an opportunity as Akiem will get in the League. Hope he can make the most of a second chance and revive his career.

As for Hooman, he is likely to get way more playing time in NO as the 2/3 TE and special teamer. NE has the best group of TE's in the league, so why not give Hooman a chance in a different setting.

You Saints fans are definitely among the best of opposing fans to join here, I just want to say: don't overrate Hoomans blocking. As others have said, some games he'll be okay, others he'll look like a 14lb jack russel terrier in a fight with a 140lb pitbull.

He's "streaky", a word BB used on Arrington after he cut him. As a team I don't dislike, I hope that a new scene can revive a player that most of us believed had more potential than he showed us, just like we hope Hicks will fill a different role for us than he did for you and experience a revival in a new setting.

Hooman has had good games, never great ones, and that is NOT because we're used to having Gronk, he was just never as good as he could be, or maybe he was and we saw his ceiling, it's hard to tell with some guys. But he never quit on us so I wish him well.

The Saints are looking at their franchise QB injured, currently 0-3/an already small margin of error just to make the playoffs, just came off a losing season and haven't made it past the division round once in 4 or 5 years. Further, a quick check of their 2016 cap shows they will have 14 million in dead money (by far the most) and are considered in one of the worst shapes for the 2016 cap based on being projected to be already 4 million over the cap counting only 41 players signed. ((This is not to say they have given up on 2015. Yet looking at 0-3 with cap difficulties awaiting probably means they have to start thinking of some areas of rebuilding))

The Saints traded a starting player that has played fair and has shown promise. However, he hasn't been a world beater either. He is in his 4th year and chances are good they weren't going to resign him due to cap and possibly player direction. In return for giving up this player the Saints received a position of need (TE) on the cheap who has big game performances on his resume as well as comes from a program that means he will work very hard and strive even harder to win.

Bottom line; I love this trade and the other trade. The Patriots gave up only a 6th round pick and a third string TE (TE being a deep position for the Patriots already) to acquire these two players. In return it looks like we got two distinct values. Both have already proven they can start/flexibility (whether it is needed due to injury, their own quality of play, or specific game planning it is great to have that depth), and both have shown some levels of consistent production as well as demonstrating their upsides may not yet be realized. Putting these two guys into the BB program it is hard not to see at least one of them elevating their play/production with the Patriots. That alone is worth Hoo and a 6th.
But as attractive as the trade looks it doesn't equal "what were the Saints doing". It's much more complicated than that.

This is a fair assessment and Triplett is a good writer who knows his stuff. Being a Saints fan has become an exercise in frustration because the coaching staff seems to have no idea how to develop young players. We seem to have hit a home run with this last draft, but if the pattern follows all those guys will show a ton of promise in their first couple years and then regress overall. I don't know if this is just a run of bad luck or the whole organization has just gone to crap for some reason. Thank goodness I recorded all those games from 2006 to 2013 so I can remember what it's like to at least resemble a top-notch football team.

goodell-1-jpg.10222
<------LOVE IT!

Oh, and welcome. Saints fans get a good rep from Pherein, probably the favorite opposition poster here.

Favorite non-pats fan poster - and it's not even close.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back