PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots To Work Out Tight End C.J. Fiedorowicz

That's fine, IMO that would be spending the draft pick, taking The Fed anywhere before the 5th round would be wasting the pick.

Any serviceable player after round 3 is a home run, the draft is totally over rated... and I love the draft...

The Pats have to consider this pick because nobody knows how good the Gronk will be this upcoming year. If we get a physical player like Fiedorowicz it may prevent the Pats from having to rush the Gronk back as well. The Pats offensive numbers were very good considering what they didn't have and I really like this pick but I would not go higher than the 3rd round. Don't forget the Pats were 3rd and 4th in the AFC regular season rankings for total yards rushing and receiving,... BUT the worst in the AFC and second worst in NFL against the run giving up 2,145 yards.

The comp pick at 140 or later and I'm fine with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTG4XvbkxQ

Pretty well put together video.

- blocks like a tackle.
- shows he can get open and find soft spots in zone coverage.
- uses his body well to "box out" defenders and make contested catches.
- will need a year to improve his strength, slowed down at the LOS he needs to power through that.

General note: 2:46, he's wide open with a walk in TD and the QB ignores him...poor decision making.

vs Nebraska:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf0GMjeQLt0

3rd catch/TD that's some nice coverage and a very well placed pass for a good all round play by pretty much everyone involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTG4XvbkxQ

Pretty well put together video.

- blocks like a tackle.
- shows he can get open and find soft spots in zone coverage.
- uses his body well to "box out" defenders and make contested catches.
- will need a year to improve his strength, slowed down at the LOS he needs to power through that.

General note: 2:46, he's wide open with a walk in TD and the QB ignores him...poor decision making.

Yes he does. I keep saying it but he's what we were hoping Jake Ballard was going to be for us last year. A more athletic Jake Ballard.

Yes he does. I keep saying it but he's what we were hoping Jake Ballard was going to be for us last year. A more athletic Jake Ballard.

Ballard is who I always compared him to when asked about him - then when his combine numbers came in added the more athletic part in.

vs Michigan St:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g57DTOI8CZY

That TD on the play starting 13 seconds in is Gronk like, 2 defenders and one gets a holding call.

He's going to be a very good TE, needs some coaching up but what rookie doesn't?

Fiedorowicz=Ballard. Sounds like the Brits are in agreement ... :)

This guy's body parts had very impressive measurables.

He has stone cold hands and his 40 time is off the chart in the wrong direction. Pass.

He has stone cold hands and his 40 time is off the chart in the wrong direction. Pass.

But his 3 cone drill time is pretty intriguing for a guy his size.

You must be talking about someone other than Fiedorowicz. The guy has great hands.. His 40 time was .08 seconds slower than Gronk. But yeah, his 40 is off the chart in the wrong direction.. :rolleyes:

You must be talking about someone other than Fiedorowicz. The guy has great hands.. His 40 time was .08 seconds slower than Gronk. But yeah, his 40 is off the chart in the wrong direction.. :rolleyes:
Across the board C.J.'s numbers were remarkably similar to Gronk's. Whether that will translate on the field I have no idea but his workout numbers make him out to be more than the slowfooted, small improvement over Mathew Mulligan that some make him out to be.

Fed also has a basketball background. Given that he's a 6'7 265 lb man who runs a 4.7 40, yeah I think he has a lot more upside than a lot of the negative posters are giving him credit for. If ASJ and Niklas are gone by our 2nd round pick, entirely possible, I would not mind him at all in a Patriots uniform.

four-year letterman in basketball and earned two letters in baseball and track . . . holds school career scoring record in basketball with over 1,400 points.

The Fed also lettered in baseball as well as basketball and track. BB tends to like the multi-sport athletes, shows their versatility.

Played defense at the high school level as well, can you believe at linebacker, defensive end, and even safety?

Career - - earned four varsity letters in football, playing tight end, wide receiver, running back, quarterback, linebacker, defensive end and free safety . . . also used as long snapper . . . returned punts and kickoffs . . . team captain as a senior . . . career totals include 183 receptions for 3,121 yards (17.1 average) and 42 touchdowns, all school records that rank among top 10 in Illinois state history

If you look at his high school career, you see a well rounded and versatile athlete. Not to mention in his senior season in college he had 6 TD receptions which shows he can be a redzone threat with his excellent size. Oh and the latest big TE to come out of Iowa - Scott Chandler.

Source:
C.J. Fiedorowicz Bio - Iowa Official Athletic Site

This myth that the people who like CJ are trying to sell that "people are selling him short saying he's only a slight upgrade on Matthew Mulligan" is BS. If somebody said that I missed it but it still doesn't mean everybody who's not pro-CJ thinks it. I'm not anti-CJ. I just don't believe he warrants a top 3 rounds pick. Somebody, Manx I think, said he could be what Jake Ballard was supposed to be. I think that's fairly accuate. Jake Ballard was a UDFA so saying I wouldn't take CJ until the 4th round or later hardly constitutes "he's Matthew Mulligan Plus".

Jake Ballard might have gone undrafted but his numbers were terrible compared to Fiedorowicz at the combine/pro day.

His 1 good year in the NFL though:
14 games
38 receptions
604 yards (15.9 average)
4 TDs

That isn't the production of an undrafted player is it, especially in an offense that had Nicks, Cruz & Manningham too is it?

If Fiedorowicz comes in and puts up half those yards as the #2 TE and #5 receiving option, you couldn't really complain about that production from a 3rd round pick could you?

Year 1 while he works on his release at the LOS he could be used as a blocking TE and red zone threat - that is an immediate contribution and well worth a 3rd round pick.

Fiedorowicz has said that he wishes he would have been used differently at Iowa, but their coaching staff includes the TE coach for the best receiving season any NFL team has ever gotten out of the tight end position (Brian Ferentz), the brother of one of those tight ends (DJ Hernandez), and another Belichick disciple (Kirk Ferentz). I can't help but think that if Fiedorowicz had a lot more to offer as a receiver, Iowa would have found a way to get it out of him.

This myth that the people who like CJ are trying to sell that "people are selling him short saying he's only a slight upgrade on Matthew Mulligan" is BS. If somebody said that I missed it but it still doesn't mean everybody who's not pro-CJ thinks it. I'm not anti-CJ. I just don't believe he warrants a top 3 rounds pick. Somebody, Manx I think, said he could be what Jake Ballard was supposed to be. I think that's fairly accuate. Jake Ballard was a UDFA so saying I wouldn't take CJ until the 4th round or later hardly constitutes "he's Matthew Mulligan Plus".

Mayo compared CJ to Mulligan directly.

Jake Ballard might have gone undrafted but his numbers were terrible compared to Fiedorowicz at the combine/pro day.

His 1 good year in the NFL though:
14 games
38 receptions
604 yards (15.9 average)
4 TDs

That isn't the production of an undrafted player is it, especially in an offense that had Nicks, Cruz & Manningham too is it?

If Fiedorowicz comes in and puts up half those yards as the #2 TE and #5 receiving option, you couldn't really complain about that production from a 3rd round pick could you?

Year 1 while he works on his release at the LOS he could be used as a blocking TE and red zone threat - that is an immediate contribution and well worth a 3rd round pick.

Exactly. I'm comparing CJ to the Ballard we signed from the Giants and had pencilled into our offense to back up Gronk, not the UDFA.

Mayo compared CJ to Mulligan directly.

Exactly. I'm comparing CJ to the Ballard we signed from the Giants and had pencilled into our offense to back up Gronk, not the UDFA.

Thanks I missed that and think it's too harsh. I agree with Ballard but just think he's 4th-5th round material. End of the 3rd I wouldn't complain. 2nd I wouldn't be happy.

Thanks I missed that and think it's too harsh. I agree with Ballard but just think he's 4th-5th round material. End of the 3rd I wouldn't complain. 2nd I wouldn't be happy.

I've always pegged him as a 3rd to 4th rounder, never higher, never lower. I think he's worth taking with our 3rd round pick, even better if we can trade back into the fourth and still get him.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back