Patriots to host University of South Florida linebacker Tyrone McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com

The team conducted a private workout with McKenzie, who would project as an inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defense, in March.

The 6-2, 243-pound McKenzie is a tackling machine and has one of the draft's more interesting background stories.

So at 243 coming out of college, he doesn't have the bulk to play inside linebacker? Bruschi, Guyton, and Mayo are all within 4 pounds of that.

I like that he's been able to be productive in so many different teams and with so many different coordinators/coaches.

I like this.

I think he's a top 4 ILB in the 3-4, after Maualuga, Laurinaitis, and Freeman.

At 6-2, 244, he's the perfect size. With only one sack last season, he will be less attractive to 4-3 teams as an OLB - strictly a strong-side guy. But he's a very good tackler, putting up 116 last year. He's decent in coverage, with 8 PBU's, high for a linebacker (tied for most among draft-eligible linebackers with, you guessed it, Connor Barwin and also Cody Brown).

At worst, he could be a good two-down ILB, rotating out with Guyton on passing downs.

Definitely an option in the third round.

I like this guy hes been through a lot and never gave up gotta give him props hope he finds a home in the NFL if its not in NE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes