PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots talking to Browns about moving up to #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miller's agent isn't Condon (if that's who you're referring to). Otherwise, this is the first time I've heard this.

If BB were to trade up this high, I'd hope for a defensive player, then I'd wish for Von Miller (#2 on my Pats board). Problem is, Miller's been mocked well before #6 for a while now.

My guess at #6 is Peterson or Jones -- not Quinn, whom Gosselin has sliding all the way to #20.
I'd not discount a Miller scenario though, with all the QBs being mocked Top 15 in Gosselin's guesstimate, you know there is a fair chance one or more trades in ahead of #6 disrupts the "standard" Top 5 projections. Myself, I'm Fairley confident this won't happen, but I'll be watching with interest.

I'm resolute that if Belichick makes a move into the top ten that he'll only be doing so because he feels a player is a can't miss prospect. If he takes Quinn, then he obviously feels that his ability is rare, especially since he's a conversion with production that isn't necessarily concrete.

When I read this rumor, I thought Dareus or Peterson. I'm assuming it would be in place if Dareus fell to the 6th.

No one knows if a player in college will adjust to a higher level

Do some guys look less like a gamble?...yes...but its still risky everytime you choose a player anywhere in the draft

The only guarantees in life are Death and Taxes...the draft is not

Yeah but 50/50 boom or bust? The top picks more likely than not will become solid contributors. Whether they become stars that's different.

I want that beast pass rusher badly, McCourty/Peterson would be pretty sick though.

What good are they if you never use them. I guess you could trade down, but just to have multiple #1 picks and not use them isn't going to get you anywhere. In the last few years BB as hit on a lot of picks, hes rebuilt the middle class depth on the team, so i think its time to get some grade A blue chip prospects with these extra picks.
He does use them....usually getting a later pick now and a pick for the next year. He provides his team multiple options which is more than you can say for the rest of the NFL. McCourty, Gronk, Seabass...all probowl caliber players that were mined and worked far below the top ten.

What good is a million dollars in the bank if you only spend the interest it accumulates?

These picks provide a steady flow of "income" year after year.
And that "income" hasn't done much but get the team bounced in the playoffs year after year.

Last edited:
What good are they if you never use them. I guess you could trade down, but just to have multiple #1 picks and not use them isn't going to get you anywhere. In the last few years BB as hit on a lot of picks, hes rebuilt the middle class depth on the team, so i think its time to get some grade A blue chip prospects with these extra picks.

This is true. We've gotten a lot of good talent over the past couple drafts. Guys who fill out a lineup very well. You don't have to saturate a team with young guys though, and if you did it could become a detriment.

I like getting multiple good players as much as the next, but if we get a home run type pick for our pass rush, then the whole team will look better because of it. Our secondary surely will.

So the question is how much a stud is worth to thde patriots. Aside from the 2 quarterbacks, 5 players have stood tall among the rest: Miller, Dareus, Peterson, Green and Jones.

At least one of these players will be available at 6. I can certainly see that Belichick might believe that one of these players is worth players chosen at 17 and 33. Those who talk as if this puts all our eggs in one basket are simply nuts. We still would have more players in the top 75 than anyone else. We would have 6, 28, 60, 74, 92, and 125.

Do you all have no players in this draft worth 17 plus 33? That would be an aweful draft indeed.

I'm NOT saying anything will happen. After all, Belichick's player or players may not be there at 6; but this certainly worth the discussion. Obviously, it is also worth talking to others who might want to move down.

In the end, I think that many here undervalue really top players. Perhaps there are none in this draft. That the discussions are taking place indicates that belichick thinks that there is at least one such player.

Last edited:
i start to be excited...let's see...Go Pats !!!

Any player in the first round above the 15th pick falls under boom or bust....he will either turn out to be an all pro or at least an every down player as he is expected to be getting drafted that high,or he will fail and ride the bench until he is cut years later.

Every player is 50/50 no matter how you cut it.

If you can't see the difference between the risk of getting an evaluation wrong on a 3-4 DL that was a 3-year starter in a power conference and a 1 year starter that played DE in a 4-3 who you are looking to move to 3-4 OLB, then, I don't know what to tell you.

If you can't see the difference between the risk of getting an evaluation wrong on a 3-4 DL that was a 3-year starter in a power conference and a 1 year starter that played DE in a 4-3 who you are looking to move to 3-4 OLB, then, I don't know what to tell you.

Didn't Belichick mention on Sirius that he looks for players with a multi-year record of achievement in college? Edge: Jordan. I'm liking him at 9 or 10.

The guy at BBTL with a source inside the Patriots whom I referenced in my rumour thread has said that they are looking into trading up to six but it won't be for Quinn or Peterson.

That means a placeholder if Miller or Dareus fall, Julio Jones (my bet) or if they really like Cam Jordan. If this is all on the level.

AJ Green says hi, but I agree that we should not be trading up for Peterson or Quinn.

The guy at BBTL with a source inside the Patriots whom I referenced in my rumour thread has said that they are looking into trading up to six but it won't be for Quinn or Peterson.

That means a placeholder if Miller or Dareus fall, Julio Jones (my bet) or if they really like Cam Jordan. If this is all on the level.

No way do i want Jones for that price..need defense.

There is NO-WAY we are trading up this High.. please people put the CrAcK PipE down!!!

ive managed to convince myself that if we DO move up its either for Quinn or Jones, all depends on how the cards fall I suspect

My bet would be AJ Green then

My concern about pick no6 is that it's likely to be the most sought after slot in the first round with Houston and Dallas eyeing up Peterson, Titans, Redskins and Vikings eyeing up Gabbert and the Rams Julio Jones. Having said that, none can offer two first rounders so perhaps the Patriots are in the premier position regardless.

They're probably not going to get a steal though.

Last edited:
Due diligence. Likely SOP.

BB has probably had a conversation with every team in the top 16 to see what they'd want in order to trade down and under what circumstances they'd do so (IOW, if so-and-so player is already off the board). I'm sure that not every team would be willing to trade down, or give him parameters in advance and not every team he's touched base with is going to leak that there's BEEN a conversation - except perhaps those who really DO want to trade down and are trying to start a bidding war for their pick.

Anyway, WRT moving up to #6 for Quinn - did I miss the consensus decision that there's a one-player solution for "fixing the pass-rush"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots