PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots talking to Browns about moving up to #6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The great thing is that even if they have to give up 17 and 28 to get who they really want at 6 (value chart works out pretty close here), the Patriots still would have 33, 60 and two picks in the third to get a handful of additional good to very good players and/or future picks.

Quinn reeks of Gholston 2.0 to me.

No way. I'd love to get Quinn.

And statistically speaking it's going to be pretty much impossible for any top 10 pick to be Gholston 2.0. In 3 years you will likely get 1 lucky sack imo.

DeWayne Robertson, part deux. I don't buy it.

I was just going to post this. Let's see the Jets mortgage their draft to get to #5.

Funny, he reeks of DeMarcus Ware to me. We'll find out soon enough.

Quinn is the classic boom or bust pick. Add to that the fact that he is a projection and has never played standing up, and this is just a highly unlikely scenario. Compare to Jordan, who is a classic, plug and play 10 year starter, with no projection required--he dominated over the course of several years in a power conference in a two-gap system. BB has done well by taking the sure thing in Round 1 and it is overwhelmingly likely he does so again tonight.

What really affects tonight proceedings is missing the potential trades from a teams player to acquire draft picks at any given time like we did with Moss ...I loved that possibility,but this year it can't happen :(

My take is that BB will lay the groundwork for a half dozen trades, being ready to pull the trigger depending upon who is there at the time the Patriots or a trading partner comes up on the clock. You don't make a trade with a team by first contacting them when they are on the clock, typically. Otherwise they will have fallen in love with a guy or another offer already.

The odd thing here would be that pick #6 is about where I expected the Oakland pick to be, then they screwed up and played somewhat decent ball last year.

Quinn is the classic boom or bust pick. Add to that the fact that he is a projection and has never played standing up, and this is just a highly unlikely scenario. Compare to Jordan, who is a classic, plug and play 10 year starter, with no projection required--he dominated over the course of several years in a power conference in a two-gap system. BB has done well by taking the sure thing in Round 1 and it is overwhelmingly likely he does so again tonight.
Any player in the first round above the 15th pick falls under boom or bust....he will either turn out to be an all pro or at least an every down player as he is expected to be getting drafted that high,or he will fail and ride the bench until he is cut years later.

Every player is 50/50 no matter how you cut it.

I wouldn't mind the Pats moving up. That way I won't have to sit through 2+ hours of crap to get to their pick.

My take is that BB will lay the groundwork for a half dozen trades, being ready to pull the trigger depending upon who is there at the time the Patriots or a trading partner comes up on the clock. You don't make a trade with a team by first contacting them when they are on the clock, typically. Otherwise they will have fallen in love with a guy or another offer already.

The odd thing here would be that pick #6 is about where I expected the Oakland pick to be, then they screwed up and played somewhat decent ball last year.

BB said in his interview with Curran on Sunday that there is no true talk about who they really want until 3 or 4 hours before the draft begins.

How true that is is only known by Belichick,his staff and God

Any player in the first round above the 15th pick falls under boom or bust....he will either turn out to be an all pro or at least an every down player as he is expected to be getting drafted that high,or he will fail and ride the bench until he is cut years later.

Every player is 50/50 no matter how you cut it.

Not really....do you honestly think Dareus or Suh were/are 50/50 ?

Nobody is a sure thing but some guys are definately safer imo.

Not a chance. The best package I can see BB willing to pay to move up is #17 and #60.
#28 and #33 are just to valuable....tools to keep adding multiple #1s for years to come. No way he ends that pipeline.

Because he's a ripped black dude...?

Why would you presume racism on my part? You're comment makes perfect sense considering there are no other ripped blacks in this draft.

Last edited:

Imagine if we held the #5 pick or so. We could easily get Dareus or Miller. Or would BB trade down again?

I was just going to post this. Let's see the Jets mortgage their draft to get to #5.

That is an over reaction, it is not like the patriots would have no draft picks left. They would still have:
either 28 or 33, 60,74,92,123,156,& 184

7 more picks, 4 in the top 100

The Jets have gambled but they have also hit out of the park grand slams with Revis and Sanchez. What if Quinn is a player? Could he really be worse than Ninkovich?

I will be happy either way, if they trade up and get an impact player. Great, good it improves the team. if they trade down and add another layer of quality depth across the roster, then that is good too.

This is a rare can't lose situation and the draft teams are on a roll right now.

Last edited:
#28 and #33 are just to valuable....tools to keep adding multiple #1s for years to come. No way he ends that pipeline.
What good are they if you never use them. I guess you could trade down, but just to have multiple #1 picks and not use them isn't going to get you anywhere. In the last few years BB as hit on a lot of picks, hes rebuilt the middle class depth on the team, so i think its time to get some grade A blue chip prospects with these extra picks.

Last edited:
Belichick hates Miller's agent, so I doubt that's a possibility.

Miller's agent isn't Condon (if that's who you're referring to). Otherwise, this is the first time I've heard this.

If BB were to trade up this high, I'd hope for a defensive player, then I'd wish for Von Miller (#2 on my Pats board). Problem is, Miller's been mocked well before #6 for a while now.

My guess at #6 is Peterson or Jones -- not Quinn, whom Gosselin has sliding all the way to #20.

What good are they if you never use them. I guess you could trade down, but just to have multiple #1 picks and not use them isn't going to get you anywhere.

What good is a million dollars in the bank if you only spend the interest it accumulates?

These picks provide a steady flow of "income" year after year.

Not really....do you honestly think Dareus or Suh were/are 50/50 ?

Nobody is a sure thing but some guys are definately safer imo.

No one knows if a player in college will adjust to a higher level

Do some guys look less like a gamble?...yes...but its still risky everytime you choose a player anywhere in the draft

The only guarantees in life are Death and Taxes...the draft is not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes