PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Slot Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bodden and Warren returning helps but the big factor is going to be the development of the young players. If guys like Chung, Cunningham, McCourty, Pryor, Brace, Butler, and Arrington are able to take their games to the next level then the defense is going to be among the best in football. That's obviously a big if but imo will be the deciding factor in the devlopment of this year's defense.

I think Belichik is doing an exceptional job of turning over the roster and rebuilding on both sides of the ball. He has the youngest defense in football and has essentially rebuilt most of the offense over the past 3 years, and has done so while keeping them at the top of the league. We will find out if he has built them back up to a championship level over the next 2-3 years but personally i really like the moves and choices he has made and believe they will soon become a SB winner again.

My prediction: Brady finishes his career with 6 SB rings, Belchik and Brady go down as the greatest coach/QB tandem in history and both go down as the respective greatest coach and QB.

Deus, since you were unable to come up with any posts from me backing your assertion that i'm a big time homer this post will serve as one you can pull up the next time you need one.

Nice videos man, you just torrenting the games and editing them from there?

I downloaded them during the season, because I thought the season would be special..so much for that.

Deus, since you were unable to come up with any posts from me backing your assertion that i'm a big time homer this post will serve as one you can pull up the next time you need one.

I don't recall ever having a need to look for any, but thanks for tagging this one.

Bodden and Warren returning helps but the big factor is going to be the development of the young players. If guys like Chung, Cunningham, McCourty, Pryor, Brace, Butler, and Arrington are able to take their games to the next level then the defense is going to be among the best in football. That's obviously a big if but imo will be the deciding factor in the devlopment of this year's defense.

I think Belichik is doing an exceptional job of turning over the roster and rebuilding on both sides of the ball. He has the youngest defense in football and has essentially rebuilt most of the offense over the past 3 years, and has done so while keeping them at the top of the league. We will find out if he has built them back up to a championship level over the next 2-3 years but personally i really like the moves and choices he has made and believe they will soon become a SB winner again.

My prediction: Brady finishes his career with 6 SB rings, Belchik and Brady go down as the greatest coach/QB tandem in history and both go down as the respective greatest coach and QB.

I agree with you that getting Warren and Bodden back should help, along with hopefully the younger players developing. I'm not so sure on your prediction though.

I made my position abundantly clear. Devin McCourty's scope for improvement is far greater than Leigh Bodden's career, however, I am waiting to see if McCourty can replicate his rookie season before I place him at #1 on my depth chart over the proven veteran.

I never argued Leigh Bodden is more talented than Devin McCourty. That's a silly position to hold.
So if the season started today, and you are BB you are putting Bodden ahead of McCourty on the depth chart?

Why do you completley discount the fact that Bodden has a much larger body of work? If McCourty had a subpar rookie year everyone on this board would say you can't just judge him based on one year, but because he played well, one year is suddenly acceptable? If McCourty follows up his rookie campaign by playing at a similar level, or even a slight drop off, I'll be ready to say he is better than Bodden. Until then, there just isn't enough evidence.
Its all you can judge him, his body of work and demonstrated talent.
I don't understand how you can say Bodden is a better corner when McCourty played better as a rookie than Bodden has ever played in his career.
I don't understand the idea that the answer to who is better can be "I refuse to answer because I don't know how their play will change in the future" By that standard we can't say Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith.

So if the season started today, and you are BB you are putting Bodden ahead of McCourty on the depth chart?
I'm not BB so that doesn't matter does it. But yes I do. I can also change that depth chart once the season is underway and production can be observed can't I?

I don't understand how you can say Bodden is a better corner when McCourty played better as a rookie than Bodden has ever played in his career.
I don't understand the idea that the answer to who is better can be "I refuse to answer because I don't know how their play will change in the future" By that standard we can't say Tom Brady is better than Alex Smith.
Brady and Smith are veterans. McCourty was a rookie being compared with a veteran. If you can't see the difference here then it's pointless continuing this discussion with you.

Last edited:

How is that a meaningful question? Each starts out slated to take well over 90% of the defensive snaps.

the more I look and read about Ras the more I like.

Speed and physicality and he doesn't seen like a thug like Merry so his smarts will bring us theatricality every big play he makes. Merry doesn't think before he acts imo and Merry is not well off in coverage. I hope Ras is Merry 2.0:) The newer and smarter version that BB always wanted:)

Let us hope bvoth have FANTASTIC years and Merry possibly could net us a 3 w/ a career year. He is gone after this season right?

the more I look and read about Ras the more I like.

Speed and physicality and he doesn't seen like a thug like Merry so his smarts will bring us theatricality every big play he makes. Merry doesn't think before he acts imo and Merry is not well off in coverage. I hope Ras is Merry 2.0:) The newer and smarter version that BB always wanted:)

Let us hope bvoth have FANTASTIC years and Merry possibly could net us a 3 w/ a career year. He is gone after this season right?

Many here think that with the pro bowl selections etc, that he will simply demand too much money to stay, but then again--you never know with BB. He seems to like him, or at least seems to think that he is the better option a high majority of the time. I just don't see a reasonable deal being worked out though.

That article on McCourty's impression of Ras-I was telling ,
tho short. Seems like Dowling is smart and with his big body will match up well with some of the bigger WR's in the AFC East which is a plus....can't see him covering a fast slot reciever but helping blanket a tall WR on the outside or possibly a TE....The more I look at the personnel the Pats have playing DB, the more I think their defense is going to be alot better on third down this season....

Dowling is a thoroughbred with experience in the BB 3-4, I fully expect him to beat out Bodden on the outside. I think Bodden can be effective in the slot, but we shall see.

You have a phenomenally poor understanding of the argument. I'm not saying "I refuse to answer because I don't know how their play will change in the future." I'm saying "one year of play, regardless of how well they do, is not enough to be able to make an accurate judgment on a player."

Devin McCourty could establish himself as one of the top corners in the league this year, putting himself in the class of guys like Revis and Aso. Or he could have a sophmore slump and look worst than Bodden. With Bodden, you don't have to worry about such a large variance, because he has established himself as a quality veteran corner, something DMC hasn't had the chance to do.

There are plenty of quality DEs who have never had the kind of season Mark Anderson had his rookie year, that doesn't mean he is better than any of them.

Dowling is a thoroughbred with experience in the BB 3-4, I fully expect him to beat out Bodden on the outside. I think Bodden can be effective in the slot, but we shall see.

Bodden is 6'1. Unless a team is placing their best No. 1 WR in the slot, I do not want a tall CB covering a Slot WR's. It should go to McCourty on nickel situations if Ras and Bodden are on the outside.

I'm not BB so that doesn't matter does it. But yes I do. I can also change that depth chart once the season is underway and production can be observed can't I?
Wow. McCourty is in the probowl and loses his job to a guy who sat out the season and never played as well as McCourty did last year. Good way to alienate your player.

Brady and Smith are veterans. McCourty was a rookie being compared with a veteran. If you can't see the difference here then it's pointless continuing this discussion with you.[/QUOTE]

Sure there is a difference, which is why I said "by that standard' but there is a large similarity too. You are ignoring production on the field and placing more time playing worse ahead of less time playing better, because you worry the 2nd year player may decline. In this case you could be worried that Brady is too old--he will be someday---so until he proves he is over the hill we better put the young guy in. It is an illustration of ignoring who is the better player for a much less consequential factor. If you can't see the difference here then its pointless contiuning this discussion.

You have a phenomenally poor understanding of the argument.
Actually I was having the discussion before you entered, so I think you need to check your understanding.

I'm not saying "I refuse to answer because I don't know how their play will change in the future." I'm saying "one year of play, regardless of how well they do, is not enough to be able to make an accurate judgment on a player."
That is not the discussion. We are not discussiung the accuracy of your judgment, or the variables that could affect it in the future. We are discussing who is the best corner on the team.
If you choose to pass on the guy who as a rookie played better than the other guy, who sat out last season ever did, that is your choice, but you will have a hard time convincing me that makes any sense at all.

Devin McCourty could establish himself as one of the top corners in the league this year, putting himself in the class of guys like Revis and Aso. Or he could have a sophmore slump and look worst than Bodden. With Bodden, you don't have to worry about such a large variance, because he has established himself as a quality veteran corner, something DMC hasn't had the chance to do.
McCourty is established as a better corner than Biodden has ever been.
IF you want to say Bodden is a better player, go ahead, but if I were you I'd keep that opinion quiet.

There are plenty of quality DEs who have never had the kind of season Mark Anderson had his rookie year, that doesn't mean he is better than any of them.
Oh great, we are going to deterioriate the argument down to a sack statistic? Mark Anderson didn't play his position at a level anywhere near the level McCourty played his position at last year.
I won't go ahead and list all the players who declined after missing an entire season, because that too is meaningless to this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back