PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Eddie Berlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The term "bolsterd" is really overused. Adding Eddie Berlin does not excite me what so ever and this move that "bolstered" our recieving corps will probably get cut when A. Branch returns and B. Jackson returns. I don't know why we are even acknowledging this signing.

THEARCHIVES said:
The term "bolsterd" is really overused. Adding Eddie Berlin does not excite me what so ever and this move that "bolstered" our recieving corps will probably get cut when A. Branch returns and B. Jackson returns. I don't know why we are even acknowledging this signing.

Who the hell did you want? Randy Moss?

A) He's a veteran

B) He has more of a history than Musinski, Stone, Childress, Davis, Henry, Smith, or Kight.

C) He's a possession receiver - something the Pats could use with so many small and fast WRs on the roster.

D) He brings something on special teams, both in kick coverage and returns.

Therefore:

E) He has as much as a shot as Stone or Bam to make the roster as a #5 WR.

Therefore:

F) Yes, we should acknowledge this signing. We acknowledge every signing. This isn't some ESPN board where people only care if the player is "liK OMfG rANdY MOSS!!!11"

And also:

G) No, he won't get cut when Jackson or Branch returns. The Pats have the roster space, and they're not going to waste it. As BB said today in his press conference, there's no such thing as "camp fodder" on his team. The only players that are on the roster right now he feels are competitive enough to have a chance at making the final squad.

(And I'm sorry he's not "pitch black" or doesn't wear a "tight" number.)

Last edited:
pats1 said:
Who the hell did you want? Randy Moss?

A) He's a veteran

B) He has more of a history than Musinski, Stone, Childress, Davis, Henry, Smith, or Kight.

C) He's a possession receiver - something the Pats could use with so many small and fast WRs on the roster.

D) He brings something on special teams, both in kick coverage and returns.

Therefore:

E) He has as much as a shot as Stone or Bam to make the roster as a #5 WR.

Therefore:

F) Yes, we should acknowledge this signing. We acknowledge every signing. This isn't some ESPN board where people only care if the player is "liK OMfG rANdY MOSS!!!11"

And also:

G) No, he won't get cut when Jackson or Branch returns. The Pats have the roster space, and they're not going to waste it. As BB said today in his press conference, there's no such thing as "camp fodder" on his team. The only players that are on the roster right now he feels are competitive enough to have a chance at making the final squad.

(And I'm sorry he's not "pitch black" or doesn't wear a "tight" number.)

This post just shows you are a homer, biased because the Pats signed him and your arguement is just ridiculous. In nowhere in my post do I say that we should have traded for Randy Moss. Sorry I don't jump up and down for every player the Pats sign. I'm not biased and have a realistic outlook and I don't see Berlin making the team. If he does, it shows that the recievers that the Pats do have are pathetic. Would you like a refill on your Kool-Aid?

THEARCHIVES said:
This post just shows you are a homer, biased because the Pats signed him and your arguement is just ridiculous. In nowhere in my post do I say that we should have traded for Randy Moss. Sorry I don't jump up and down for every player the Pats sign. I'm not biased and have a realistic outlook and I don't see Berlin making the team. If he does, it shows that the recievers that the Pats do have are pathetic. Would you like a refill on your Kool-Aid?

Where are WE (not just ME) jumping around?

It may be a minor move, but we're all diehard fans and we don't let it go unnoticed.

Please tell me where in this thread ANYONE has proclaimed the guy a lock to make the team or anything close.

Bias is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. Bias would come into play if we're talking about another team, but when everything has to deal with the Pats, bias towards EVERY PLAYER cancels itself out.

We're reacting to the signing with analysis and opinion. Everyone in here is being realistic.

The reality is just what I said above. His past stats and scouting reports show he will be battling with Bam and Stone for the final WR spot.

It's as simple as that. No bias. No hype. No homerism.

Man, I sound like I'm trying to defend myself against a Jets or Colts fan.

I (and the others posting in this thread) apologize for paying attention to the entire roster, and not just Brady and the "big names" like bandwagoners.

The truth is, I care about this. Others in this thread care about this. Mike Reiss cares about this. Chris Price cares about this. Albert Breer cares about this. Most importantly, Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick care about this.

Who doesn't? You and, well, NEM.

There's a reason Beioli brought him here, and it's not to be cut tomorrow. It's tough for there to be negative reaction because there's no risk involved. But if it were, say, signing a player to a $200 million contract, then you'd see some negative reaction because of the risk involved.

Last edited:
A solid move....

I'm Ron Borges? said:
First Drew Bennett and now Kevin Kasper? Are there any other white receivers he reminds you of? God forbid someone once compares a white receiver to a black receiver. It's so funny how people in this world think.

Yeah. Not everyone is a bigot like you. Most of us just figured that he was comparing a one receiver to another. YOU, you go off the deep end with a bunch of garbage.

pats1 said:
Where are WE (not just ME) jumping around?

It may be a minor move, but we're all diehard fans and we don't let it go unnoticed.

Please tell me where in this thread ANYONE has proclaimed the guy a lock to make the team or anything close.

Bias is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. Bias would come into play if we're talking about another team, but when everything has to deal with the Pats, bias towards EVERY PLAYER cancels itself out.

We're reacting to the signing with analysis and opinion. Everyone in here is being realistic.

The reality is just what I said above. His past stats and scouting reports show he will be battling with Bam and Stone for the final WR spot.

It's as simple as that. No bias. No hype. No homerism.

Man, I sound like I'm trying to defend myself against a Jets or Colts fan.

I (and the others posting in this thread) apologize for paying attention to the entire roster, and not just Brady and the "big names" like bandwagoners.

The truth is, I care about this. Others in this thread care about this. Mike Reiss cares about this. Chris Price cares about this. Albert Breer cares about this. Most importantly, Scott Pioli and Bill Belichick care about this.

Who doesn't? You and, well, NEM.

There's a reason Beioli brought him here, and it's not to be cut tomorrow. It's tough for there to be negative reaction because there's no risk involved. But if it were, say, signing a player to a $200 million contract, then you'd see some negative reaction because of the risk involved.

What I mean by bias and being a homer is thinking just because the Patriots sign him, guarentees it to be a solid move. Hey I hope I'm wrong and Berlin ends up contributing in a big way. But thinking at a realistic perspective, I'm just not going to get my hopes up. I care about "no names" just as much as "big" names. Believe me, when I think the Pats made a good move, this board will be the first to know. This is a stupid arguement and I'm dropping it. We will see were Berlin ends up come week 1.

Of course, the other side of that is the posters that jump into these threads and complain loudly about the 'homers' and exaggerate everything that's been said on the thread. I'm not sure what makes that position better than one taken by a 'homer', though it certainly appears that at least one person thinks that makes him a superior fan. I think it makes him a know-nothing crank.

And besides, we ARE fans of the team. Where does this idea come from that we are to be naturally skeptical and overly negative about nearly everything they (the 3x SB champs) do? That makes us a 'better' fan? No, it doesn't. It makes us worthy of a trip to the analyst's couch.

Yeah, I'm a homer, and proud of it. I think anyone who signs up for a message board on a website called 'patsfans' ought to expect that he's going to bump into at least a few.

As far as Eddie Berlin - he's had enough time in the league to prove what he is. A ST guy with a little experience at receiver. He gives them someone a little more experienced to compete for the final receiver spots, and also ST's, which took a hit earlier this week with the loss of Mel Mitchell. How is this a bad thing, oh superior, unbiased, non-homer fan?

Last edited:
We are homers. This is a patriots board.

HOWEVER, how is homerism to think that veteran will provide competition to Stone and Childress for the 5th wide receiver spot.

It may be homerism to think that Childress or Stone might compete for the #2 spot. In some ways, it is the opposite of homerism to believe that any veteran off the street might take away the #5 wide receiver spot.

A neutral position might be to think Berlin is insurance against injury, a #7 receiver for the moment.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
First Drew Bennett and now Kevin Kasper? Are there any other white receivers he reminds you of? God forbid someone once compares a white receiver to a black receiver. It's so funny how people in this world think.

You are quite right. It's so funny how people think. Or don't think or shouldn't think.

But most importantly some should not post while they are having thoughts.:eek:

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:

Here we go again. Someone calling someone else a homer when posting on PatsFans.com.:eek:

I'm a HOMER and damn proud of it. So, go ahead and call me a homer anytime you want. I consider it a compliment. All you non-homers can be 'above the fray' and non-emotional about this team if you want. I've paid too much dues with this team over the years not to be a homer.

And so have many others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes