PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign WR Eddie Berlin

Status
Not open for further replies.
14thDragon said:
I'm not sure why, but this makes me worried about Chad Jackson's injury. :(
Never seen a player miss a season yet with a tweaked hammy.

Anyway, weren't we all saying it would take half the season for CJ to get up to speed? It isn't even the first pre-season game yet and we are worried about his progress?

pats1 said:
Unrelated.

With Stone injured and Shelton on the I.R., and with open roster spots, the Pats needed another WR body.

He's a vet, so that's a plus.

Shoot, forgot Stone went down. This could certianly be coverage for if he might be down for a while. I figured it had to be insurance for somebody, it is not as if they need more WR bodies for our plethora of QBs to throw passes too.

I figured Keron was in as a replacement for Shelton.

Ask Pats1 ... and we shall receive.

But the reports are confusing (like shopping for cold cereal in a supermarket).
Does he have good hands ... or not?
Is he rather slow ... or not?

flutie2phelan said:

But the reports are confusing (like shopping for cold cereal in a supermarket).
Does he have good hands ... or not?
Is he rather slow ... or not?

It sounds like he has average speed.

The whole thing about the hands was that he needs to learn to catch the ball away from his body. It's not going across the middle which causes drops for him, but rather his techniqe in catching.

Looks like he ran a 4.45 40:

http://web.archive.org/web/20030423160726/http://couchscout.com/titan.htm

Last edited:
Well we need depth at WR. I don't expect much from him though.

Sounds like he might be gunner material on punt coverage and a possible punter returner in a pinch.

patpatriot said:
Sounds like he might be gunner material on punt coverage and a possible punter returner in a pinch.

not a PR at all..hes done it very little in career..hes camp fodder..TC look with injuries here..ST player maybe if anything

flutie2phelan said:

And ironically my second post in this thread was my 4,000th.

: pats self on back :

Last edited:
pats1 said:
And ironically my second post in this thread was my 4,000th.

: pats self on back :

One or two were (of quality) too.........

Seriously, I'm standing and giving you a warm but not everdone ovation.

Re: WR Berlin signed....

NOW can we quit harping about signing a top receiver and using up all that cap room ?? ?? ?? :D :D :D :D

This is not a bad pickup.

On a serioius note, a little off topic for this thread but I didn't want to start another thread --

It just occurred to me lately that there might be an interesting flip side to the fact that so many teams have cap room to keep their high priced veterans. To wit: If they keep roster spots for their aging higher priced vets, does that mean that when final cuts come that, in contrast to previous years, what might be available will be some potentially solid young players that in past years would have been kept ?? How is that for an interesting thought. Certainly wouldn't put it past BB/SP to be sharper than other teams and have figured that out. We won't know until final cuts as to whether there might be one or more moves by the Pats even IF there are players available that they might rate highly.

The serious downside to that, of course, is that, while you may pick up some good talent that way, those players would have not had ANY preseason coaching and familiarization at all. Hard to figure that they could contribute before mid-season, if then. And for sure, those type players would be unlikely to be cut before the last 53 cut.

Still, I just thought it was an interesting twist.

Camp fodder or competition for Bam and Stone

no biggie either way

The first punt returner worth anything that gets cut and all three will be on the outside looking in.

Last edited:
Clonamery said:
One or two were (of quality) too..........
Dang! I must have missed them. Do you remember what they were? :D

Clonamery said:
My first thought was: a poor man's Drew Bennett.

Except Bennett is taller and can actually play.

spacecrime said:
Dang! I must have missed them. Do you remember what they were? :D

Man, I'm having a tough time remembering too...:D

SoonerPatriot said:
Except Bennett is taller and can actually play.

Hence the phrase 'poor man's.'

Remix 6 said:
not a PR at all..
A little. More kick returning (From Chris's blog):

Berlin's career statistics include 26 receptions for 379 yards and two touchdowns, 30 kickoff returns for 586 yards, and seven punt returns for 26 yards.

Nothing spectacular.

I think he's good enough to be recceiver #5, but so is Bam and Stone.

BB is driving me nuts. This is the worst year I've had trying to settle on a 53-man roster. I know I've said this last year and the year before, but this time Ireally mean it!

Last edited by a moderator:
A pigeon overheard a recent conversation between BB and SP. It then flew to Hershey PA (it loves chocolate, esp. Krackle). Here's what I was told:

Scott - "How's it going?"
Bill - "It is what it is."
Scott - "Is that the WR drill?"
Bill - "Yep."
Scott - "Chad's on the bike today?"
Bill - "Yep."
Scott - "Troy has the session off?"
Bill - "Yep."
Scott - "So these are the rest, then."
Bill - "Yep."
Scott - "...Jeesis...Holy Shyte...What the Fu..."
Bill - "Yep."
Scott - "I'm heading for the office. Gonna call the reps for Kevin Johnson, Rashaun Woods and Dez White. See how their rehabs are coming along."
Bill - "Thank you."
Scott - "I also have Eddie Berlin's number. Gonna ask him to fly in ASAP."
Bill - "Then why are you still here?"

Last edited:
cstjohn17 said:
He could compete for the 5th WR spot, nothing to get excited about. I am pretty sure I read he has experience with ST coverage units, with Mitchell gone there may be an opening. Reminds me of Kevin Kasper but a little smaller.

First Drew Bennett and now Kevin Kasper? Are there any other white receivers he reminds you of? God forbid someone once compares a white receiver to a black receiver. It's so funny how people in this world think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back