Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots Sign Visanthe Shiancoe To One-Year Contract

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsFans.com Article, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PatsFans.com Article

PatsFans.com Article Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Patriots Sign Visanthe Shiancoe To One-Year Contract
    By: Derek Havens

The New England Patriots have added yet another tight end to their offense, signing veteran Visanthe Shiancoe to a one-year contract Tuesday afternoon. ...

2. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +445 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

I'm surprised, I thought he would go to Philly given their impending dynasty and the depth at TE in NE. I'm starting to wonder if the Patriots are going to carry 4 TE's on their roster. Given the number of TE's and FB's on the roster i think Time of Possession is going to be a much greater goal than it has been in recent years.
  3. Jimke

Jimke Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

With an offense that now has as many weapons as New Orleans, why
    go to a grind it out game?
  4. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

Just out of curiosity, how many fullbacks do you think we'll carry?

Even if it's two, that would likely mean at least 5 RBs (if you include Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead).

If we keep 6 WRs as many have speculated, that would mean that 15 offensive positions are allocated to just RB/WR/TE.

I'm hoping that Shiancoe works out, but at the expense of Fells. I just don't see the Pats keeping four tight ends. Nor do I see them keeping more than 1 FB...but hey,I've been wrong plenty of times before.
  5. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

#32 Jersey

I actually find that to be the beauty of the offense, it's flexible and can play both 'run and gun' and 'grind it out' offense.
  6. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Fells has to fight for his job

No way are they going with 4 TEs
  7. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +445 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

I'm not saying they are going to grind it out, especially with the weapons they have. Belichick isn't going to pass on putting up 30 a game but I do think he wants to improve their ability to play a ball control game when necessary. Maybe it's smokescreen but he has certainly loaded up at TE and FB this offseason, and that implies more of a power offense than they have been using recently.
  8. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +542 / 6 / -0

Surprising news, but very good indeed. This offense needs a bona fide NFL TE in the #3 role. If you NEED 3, then start camp with 4 -- especially given that 1 of the 4 is currently on PUP.
  9. Palm Beach Pats Fan

Palm Beach Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

#93 Jersey

I don't think we want to use Solder as much at tight end except perhaps in goal line, so we definitely need 3 TEs all of the time in a 2 TE offense, and a 4th on PUP or practice squad in case of late season injury.

So I am guessing Gronk, Aaron, Visanthe

PUP: Fells, Ballard (IR most likely at some point)

Practice Squad: Tyler Urban, if he earns it

I suppose a fullback and a blocking TE are somewhat redundant, so we will have to see if this hurts the chances of a pure fullback sticking on the 53.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  10. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0

I know Solder played a fair amount of TE last year, but I hadn't even considered him playing any TE at all this year. I figured with Light retiring and adding Fells (or Shiancoe if he can't go) as a 3rd TE those days were over.

Cannon at LT (or Cannon at RT and Vollmer at LT) with Solder at TE? I suppose it's possible, but it seems like there may be preferable alternatives.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  11. Ivan

Ivan On the Roster

Ratings:
    +445 / 12 / -31

#75 Jersey

1 at most, and it will likely come down to a decision between a 4th TE or 1 FB. Larsen seems most likely to me because of flexibility and familiarity with McDaniels.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.