PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign UDFA QB Corey Bramlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I do know that it will be tough for Bramlet to make the team, that should be expected, its the NFL. His senior year was to say the least dissapointing. He had one bad game and things just steamrolled from there.
Unfortunately, Bramlet has never played any other posistions so that probably is out of the question. He does have pretty decent hands, but his quickness would be suspect in a receiving situation. Again, I know I am a little biased but I think his greatest assett is his competivness. He hates to lose to anybody. He also has the knack for things just to happen for him, to "put the ball in the hole", in basketball terms if you will. I think the best thing for him right now is to at least make the PS and then possible play in Europe to help him adjust and hopefully things can go from there.
Other than that Corey is just a good ol' country boy from Wyoming who knows how to work hard. Again I know I may be a bit biased but I am excited for him.

Patriotic Fervor said:
You don't play QBs on special teams - that's simply tempting fate, asking for it, flaunting karma, or however you want to put it.

I agree with the previous post, whereby Bramlet's chances hinge more on how the brass views Cassel, more than anything else.

Bramlet's smart, athletic, no stranger to hard work, and seems to have his eyes affixed squarely on the prize. I like his chances.

FWIW, I don't think they can sneak him onto the practice squad. Someone will definitely claim him before that happens.

Remember Jim Jensen?

Bramlet seems to be a very accurate practice QB. I got that impression during mini camp. Even if just a practice player...that skill is invaluable as the players get great production without wasting time.

With any bit of luck...he becomes a matt Cavanaugh down the line...that would not be to shabby for a UDFA if it happens.

Belichick spent alot of time this year getting better ST players and practice players. An attempt to reduce the load for the veterans and almost veterans should translate to less injuries hopefully and great practices to boot. Speed and accuracy to simulate game time speed during practice...BRILLIANT!!!

SamBamsFan said:
Remember Jim Jensen?

The news anchor on channel 4?

I must reconsider my comments. I believe Ray Lucas played special teams, and if anyone remembers his contributions on this team, it's for that.

But as a practical matter, putting QBs on special teams is not really a good idea....

QBs on Teams?

Theisman played as a Punt Returner (!!) in his early years for the Skins. Before going to Canada winning the Grey cup; and coming back to the Skins to win a Lombardi...

Patriotic Fervor said:
But as a practical matter, putting QBs on special teams is not really a good idea....

I don't think anyone's suggesting Brady needs to carve out a role for himself on kickoff returns - its a suggestion that one might be able to keep a 4th QB on the roster if he can find some additional role - and special teams is a good place for rookies to find a place.

You disagree saying that's not a good idea and not worth the risk.

You risk injury to players all the time in the NFL - if our season should take a turn for the worse where we are hitting ourselves over the head for being so stupid to actually risk letting our 4th string QB get injured playing special teams, I think we probably have some pretty big problems already.

So yes, I think its WELL worth the risk to keep a 4th string QB by putting him on special teams if he's good enough and warrants it.

There's case after case of 3rd string QBs playing other roles on the team - including on the Patriots - so why would this suddenly be a bad idea for a 4th stringer?

AzPatsFan said:
Theisman played as a Punt Returner (!!) in his early years for the Skins. Before going to Canada winning the Grey cup; and coming back to the Skins to win a Lombardi...

Learn something new every day!

Maybe it's time to make a confession -- I have a secret, sneaky regard for Theisman and this has just increased it.

SamBamsFan said:
Remember Jim Jensen?

Sure. Slot Receiver/H back for the Dolphins. #11. great hands.

I didn't know he ever was a quarterback, but given his uniform number and the rules at the time, he must have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back