PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign TE Chris Baker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what he said on Rich Cimini's blog.

LOL, I like him already...He sounds motivated.
On a side note, I can feel the HATE. We hate them too Baker. :p
WELCOME TO NEW ENGLAND.

Great move, we need a run blocking TE.

In a side note:

Baker was recruited to and played for Nick Saban at Michigan State. Saban left there after Baker's sophomore season, but it is an interesting note nonetheless.

What is holding up the official announcement of Baker's signing.

Do the Patriots have to cut a player to free up the money?

Good luck with Baker. He's got the same speed as Victor Hobson. He's a decent blocker with good hands and zero speed.

Good luck with Baker. He's got the same speed as Victor Hobson. He's a decent blocker with good hands and zero speed.

You had him as a starter or second TE guy. We have him as the third blocking TE. What he is good at, by your own scouting admission. :)

Who besides over grown WR, Keller do you have at TE? :)

Whether you are bored by the signing or not, this guy is going to help this football team. We really haven't had a good run blocking tight end since Daniel Graham left for Denver.
Baker will really open up some of the short passing and running situations for us with his blocking alone. His hands are better than Watson's(hell, mine are) and his demeanor seems to be all about football.

Baker and Taylor seem to like the type of little signings that have put us over the top in years past. BB is doing pretty good on his own without Pioli so far imo.

Notice our FA pattern?

Taylor, Baker and Bodden (not signed, but visited) were all cut by their previous teams, not released. Thus they will not count in a free agent net gain. We have already lost Paxton and Gaffney, who will count as free agent losses, albeit with small AAV, probably a 6 and 7 in comp pick terms. I think the Pats are very aware of this and will keep an eye on this throughout the FA season, and only sign a FA whose contract has expired if it's really worth it...

Notice our FA pattern?

Taylor, Baker and Bodden (not signed, but visited) were all cut by their previous teams, not released. Thus they will not count in a free agent net gain. We have already lost Paxton and Gaffney, who will count as free agent losses, albeit with small AAV, probably a 6 and 7 in comp pick terms. I think the Pats are very aware of this and will keep an eye on this throughout the FA season, and only sign a FA whose contract has expired if it's really worth it...

Good observation! I'm assuming you know for sure that cut free agents don't count as gains. (I didn't know that).

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

After all, many of us saw Victor Hobson as a great signing, too. . . .

And, BTW, I still want James Casey and/or Connor Barwin at goalline TE next year. ;)

James Casey...is that the kid from Rice? I didn't think many people knew about him. What I know of him is that he sounds like a Patriots type of player (versatile).

Awesome. He's the perfect complement to Ben Watson: decent blocker, zero hands, and good speed.

We signed a TE? Chris Baker

I must have missed this?
The Patriots have signed TE Chris Baker. from Profootballweekly

Baker comes to New England after being released from the Jets, whom he played his entire NFL career for. Baker, 29, was outspoken in his criticism of Jets management last offseason, claiming they lied to him about a contract extension that never came. The team came to a tepid resolution by restructuring his deal in a fashion that was mostly cosmetic and made his release after the ’08 season a foregone conclusion.

Will he help us?
thanks

Re: We signed a TE? Chris Baker

I must have missed this?
The Patriots have signed TE Chris Baker. from Profootballweekly

Baker comes to New England after being released from the Jets, whom he played his entire NFL career for. Baker, 29, was outspoken in his criticism of Jets management last offseason, claiming they lied to him about a contract extension that never came. The team came to a tepid resolution by restructuring his deal in a fashion that was mostly cosmetic and made his release after the ’08 season a foregone conclusion.

Will he help us?
thanks

Yes, see this thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...ign-te-chris-baker.html?highlight=chris+baker

But I do believe he'll help us :D

Last edited:

He's a good blocker and can catch passes. We have two tight ends that can catch passes but neither is as good a blocker as Baker is. So yes, he will help us. The real question is: does this signing spell the end of the David Thomas era in New England?

He's a good blocker and can catch passes. We have two tight ends that can catch passes but neither is as good a blocker as Baker is. So yes, he will help us. The real question is: does this signing spell the end of the David Thomas era in New England?

What David Thomas era?

BB seems to be having a good FA offseason so far for us. Glad everyone seems to like Baker. We did need a solid blocking TE.
Wonder what he has next up his sleeve? or is it Hoodie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back