PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Sauerbrun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course I can't be sure. But most players on the team didn't grow up as Patriots' fans. I realize people are just going with his supposed character issue but it's no different to me than Brady playing against the 49ers, his favorite team growing up. Or pick your player. They're playing for themselves, their families and their next contract. A good post season gives him another shot at good money for a couple more year.

I can't imagine Tom Brady ever saying something like this, but even if he did I believe he has the integrity to play all out for whatever team signed him. Todd Sauerbrun, not so much.
"I'm not upset at all with the team. I love the Broncos," Sauerbrun said. "I miss being a Bronco already. The hardest part of this is not not having a job, but having to leave the Broncos. It's feels like my guts are being pulled out. It hurts so bad."

Sauerbrun's heart is so deeply attached to Denver, he said, it is his goal to become the Broncos punter once again.

"That's all I think about," Sauerbrun said. "I want to be a Bronco again. That's the reason why I want to get into the league again. I want to prove to the Broncos that I can stay out of trouble and play well. I want to be a Bronco and I'll do what it takes."

It's very odd that anyone gets cut and openly declares their admiration for the team that cut him. The other statement about being "glad" if any OTHER team did it just goes to show he is, for lack of a better term, a 'punk'.

From a football perspective he is a good replacement, but T.O. would have been a good pickup with that logic.
FWIW that article was from October 16. Not that there isn't the chance he still wants to be a Donkey, but sitting around a stewing about the situation may have changed his mind a bit.

This was pretty funny:
wikipedia said:
Sauerbrun refused to kick unless he was reimbursed for fines he incurred when he was overweight.

I can't think of another position where weight could be less of an issue. Unless he looked like me, 1/4-barrel abs and all.

This was posted at the Planet but without a link I'm not sure where it came from:

"Sauerbrun has experience as a holder, although Belichick said that doesn't mean he will hold in Sunday's game. Belichick said the team's quarterbacks and practice squad punters had been holding in practice."

That is probably why Andy Hart was assuming it will be Cassel at least for this week. Another Planet poster said Matt had held at USC and volunteered to step in if needed.

Reiss' blog:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/12/sauerbrun_follo.html

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

SAUERBRUN SIGNS WITH PATS

The New England Patriots have signed free-agent punter Todd Sauerbrun, according to Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe.

So much for avoiding turds.

But, really, the Pats had little choice. With Josh Miller and his replacement, Ken Walter, on injured reserve, the Pats needed to do something, especially with the playoffs looming.

And we think Sauerbrun won't be on a short leash in New England -- he'll be on no leash. One false move, and the guy who puts his shoe into a ball will have a boot in his ass.

Speaking of short leashes, wouldn't it be funny if he gets CUT b4 Sunday's game?
On 2nd thought, no it wouldn't.

Wanna bet he has to pee in a cup between now and Sunday? That's the real risk here. Next offense and he's suspended for a year. And I think the league would like nothing better than to nail each of those Carolina players on the basis of they got away with one and gave football a black eye in the process.

And there is always the possibility that he shares some of his best kept secrets (like how to play in a SB on steroids without getting caught) with some of our injury plagued players.

The level of desperation in Foxboro speaks volumes. I hope we have a half dozen punters in camp next season.

Well he is a pretty good punter, thats all we really need.

Anyone know WHY Sauberbaun has the hots for the Broncos? Wasn't he only there for a couple years? I wouldn't mind living in Colorado but that's quite some passion. His bio is pretty hilarious, he's the T.O. of punters. Still, I agree with BelichickFan - he's a good punter and I'll be happy with this signing as long as he behaves and punts well. His background should be good commentary for the Boston media.

Anyone know WHY Sauberbaun has the hots for the Broncos? Wasn't he only there for a couple years? I wouldn't mind living in Colorado but that's quite some passion. His bio is pretty hilarious, he's the T.O. of punters. Still, I agree with BelichickFan - he's a good punter and I'll be happy with this signing as long as he behaves and punts well. His background should be good commentary for the Boston media.

A true cosmic mystery along with BB's affection for his ball boy Ken Walter.
What is it with punters?
Man is not meant to know.

Well, at least with the signing of Sauerbrun the Pats don't have to worry about him spearing the Pats punt returner in a game like Sauerbrun did last season.

Well, unless he pulls ROMO and has a roid rage attack........

Saurbrun pins the Colts on the 5 yard line with the Patriots up by 7 with 1 minute to go. Colts seal the edges but Wilfork smashes through the middle for a safety on Manning....Patriots up by 9 with a minute to go....no heroics from Vinatieri....it's on to the SuperBowl for the Patriots.

How does that sound???

Character issues ... what is a character issue???

If we were to try and take a postive about his Broncos comments, if we meet them in the playoffs (as is a serious possibility), I would hope that this drive to prove the Broncos wrong would get him seriously pumped up to boom it around the field.

Of course that's not really the problem with the Broncos matchup - they seem to have our number - but better quality punting would be positively related to our chances of winning so is a good thing!

Saurbrun pins the Colts on the 5 year line with the Patriots up by 7 with 1 minute to go. Colts seal the edges but Wilfork smashes through the middle for a safety on Manning....Patriots up by 9 with a minute to go....no heroics from Vinatieri....it's on to the SuperBowl for the Patriots.

How does that sound???

Character issues ... what is a character issue???
I think Manning has been the one to pin the Colts on the five year line if anyone has...:rolleyes:

I think Manning has been the one to pin the Colts on the five year line if anyone has...:rolleyes:

OOOOOPs ... but great line Box ... a keeper.

Look at it this way...if Sauerbrun wasn't interested in playing for the Patriots, he wouldn't have signed with them to begin with.

Why wouldn't a punter want to play half his games at 5000 ft alt? Think home runs at Coors Field.

I can't believe so many people are so uptight over this signing. It looks pretty smart to me.

He's a punter for crying out loud.... And I suspect those feelings he articulated for Denver are exaggerated.

Miller will be back next year and all will be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back