PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign LB Josh Hull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd much prefer to have a young developing LB than a guy with the ceiling of Tracy White... so I don't think he will end up on the roster, but it's a fine signing.
I do not think signing Hull will prevent that. Hull might not be more than a veteran camp presence like Bobby Carpenter a few years ago.

Exactly, B6. That's what I meant. The signing may not have any impact if we're able to fill the roster properly, but in worst case scenario, we're not doomed.

Decent depth signing that could make the back end of the roster and he has really good ST skills. Pretty much what you would expect at this time of the year.

Hull is hardly guaranteed a roster spot (it's either him or Chris White), and comes cheap (he surely signed for a vet minimum contract). If he makes the club he fills the same role others from Larry Izzo to Niko Koutouvides have done in the past: backup depth expected to play special teams and if called upon to play linebacker, hold their own while the starter heals up. It's either that or a raw late round or UDFA rookie (drafting a MLB early makes little sense) with no NFL experience at all; personally I'd rather have a guy like Hull or White.
I miss Niko. He was an excellent special teamer, but also gave us some decent production at LB. Certainly more than I'd expect from White or Hull.

Fletcher was a natural to come back. Clearly he was a guy who was a core special teamer, but also one who could fill in at LB and not be a liability. I'd like to think that he didn't come back because he wanted a chance to start. He'll certainly have a better shot at starting with the Bucs than here.

Last edited:
Hull's salary cap number is $645,000 which leaves the Patriots under their adjusted cap number by
$7,782,369

So, plenty of room for draft picks, a reserve for injury forced in season signings and signing a vet cut as teams trim to the 53.

I miss Niko. He was an excellent special teamer, but also gave us some decent production at LB. Certainly more than I'd expect from White or Hull.

Fletcher was a natural to come back. Clearly he was a guy who was a core special teamer, but also one who could fill in at LB and not be a liability. I'd like to think that he didn't come back because he wanted a chance to start. He'll certainly have a better shot at starting with the Bucs than here.

I think it's because the Bucs gave him a chance to start and more money than he would have gotten in New England.

I think it's because the Bucs gave him a chance to start and more money than he would have gotten in New England.
Fletcher actually received more guaranteed money than Brandon Spikes. I think Fletcher will have a lot of success in Smith's defensive scheme, he is a high character guy and a hard worker I wish him the best.

Last year, we had 5 linebackers plus a couple of special teamers (White and Beauharnais). We've brought in Hull, presumably to compete for one of the back of the roster positions.

Folks have said that we didn't lose a lot when Fletcher was brought. Perhaps, perhaps not. In any case, he could be counted on as a serviceable linebacker, along with Mayo, Hightower, Collins and Spikes.

Well, that still leaves us down TWO linebackers that we can count on to play a serious number reps if called upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back