PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Landon Cohen

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertWeathers

Member of the Seattle 7 & Roadie for Metallica
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Ominous signing as it relates to the walking wounded D-Lineman.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Patriots have made a one-for-one swap on the defensive line, signing free-agent Landon Cohen with the roster spot creating by releasing Louis Leonard.

Cohen (6-foot-3, 300 pounds) worked out for the Patriots this week. He entered the NFL as a seventh-round draft choice of the Detroit Lions in 2008 after playing at Ohio. As a rookie, he played in six games, and then followed that up by playing 14 games (4 starts) his second season.

The Lions waived Cohen at the final roster cutdown at the end of training camp this year, and the Jaguars claimed him. Cohen appeared in two games for the Jaguars before he was released in early November.

Over his two-plus year career, Cohen has played in 22 NFL games and accumulated 26 total tackles.

With yesterday's news that the Patriots had waived Leonard, one line of thinking was that it could have been a reflection of improvement by injured linemen Mike Wright (concussion), Ron Brace (concussion) and Myron Pryor (back). But with Cohen coming aboard, it clouds that line of thinking.

Last edited:
i hope anyway Brace, Pryor and Wright will be back...Wilfork playied 75 snaps against GB...really a lot

Not good. Our DL was less than stellar before the injuries and struggled last week despite the monster game from Vince.

I'm kind of curious as to why the Pats keep signing players off the street rather than promoting players from the Practice Squad.

If guys like Cohen and Leonard are a better choice than Lorenzo Washington, shouldn't they take Washington's place on the PS?

I'm kind of curious as to why the Pats keep signing players off the street rather than promoting players from the Practice Squad.

If guys like Cohen and Leonard are a better choice than Lorenzo Washington, shouldn't they take Washington's place on the PS?

Good question. It must have something to do with their perception that others would then sign the particular player off our PS to THEIR 53. Playoff opponents especially.

That's not the news I was looking for re: Wright/Pryor/Brace. At this point I just hope they are healthy for the playoffs (which they should, I'd think 5-6 weeks is plenty of time for concussion and Pryor's back, seeing how he wasn't IR'ed yet). Luckily we should be able to gut one out @ Buffalo.

IIRC, if the team promotes the PQ player to the 45 man roster and are sent back down, they would need to clear waivers again. My assumption is that they don't want to lose them to another team.

Last edited:
the DL is being saved for the postseason. when the pats play in the divisional playoff, they will have at 100%: wilfork, warren, brace, pryor, wright, deaderick.......and that's all they will need.

they'll also have spikes back.

the DL is being saved for the postseason. when the pats play in the divisional playoff, they will have at 100%: wilfork, warren, brace, pryor, wright, deaderick.......and that's all they will need.

they'll also have spikes back.

Love will get the nod over Deaderick in the postseason IMO.

Spikes is huge.

IIRC, if the team promotes the PQ player to the 45 man roster and are sent back down, they would need to clear waivers again. My assumption is that they don't want to lose them to another team.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong - but if another team tries to claim him off waivers that other team has to put him on their 53-man roster. If that was their intent, to sign him to their 53-man roster, they can simply do the same thing by signing that other team's practice squad player. In other words they don't have to wait for him to be released; they can sign any PS player in the league right now if they wanted to.

Granted the PS player has to agree to go to the other team, but generally they will because the money and opportunity for being on a 53-man roster is usually a lot better than the money and opportunity being on the PS.

Maybe it's one of those unwritten rules between NFL teams: unless I get your okay first, don't mess with my PS players and I won't mess with yours.

Ominous signing as it relates to the walking wounded D-Lineman.
Not such an "ominous signing" imo.
This relates to DL Louis Leonard being released.

If they sign another DL person without making a cut, then you can turn up the angst.

Leonard didn't work, BB hopes this guy will.

So they cut one d-lineman and replaced him with another one. I don't know if that an ominous signing or an open roster spot. If the Pats cut a player at another position and added a d-lineman, then it would be ominous.
Touche !
You are a faster typist than me.

It may also be that Leonard was overwhelmed by the system/playbook and couldn't get up to speed as fast as coach would want.

I'm not too worried yet either. We'll see how things stand when the injury reports come out, and as the week progresses.

Washington is already on the team, why promote him. I tend to doubt that Cohen or Washington will make the 45 man active roster. Cohen might not want to sign on to be a PS player for a week or two potentially. He signs on as a member of the active roster, his salary (even if it is for one week) goes up quite a bit.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong - but if another team tries to claim him off waivers that other team has to put him on their 53-man roster. If that was their intent, to sign him to their 53-man roster, they can simply do the same thing by signing that other team's practice squad player. In other words they don't have to wait for him to be released; they can sign any PS player in the league right now if they wanted to.

Granted the PS player has to agree to go to the other team, but generally they will because the money and opportunity for being on a 53-man roster is usually a lot better than the money and opportunity being on the PS.

Maybe it's one of those unwritten rules between NFL teams: unless I get your okay first, don't mess with my PS players and I won't mess with yours.

I stand corrected.

Here it is...

"a player under contract to a club as a Practice Squad player is completely free to sign a contract with another NFL club during the season in order to be on the second club's Active/Inactive (i.e., 53 man) list. A practice squad player may not sign an NFL Player Contract with his Club's next opponent later than 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the sixth day preceding the game (except in bye weeks, when the prohibition commences on the tenth day preceding the game).If another club signs a Practice Squad player to its 53 man roster it does not have to provide any sort of compensation to the player's former club but it generally must keep the player on the 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks, thereby mandating that he earns in 2007 the minimum first year salary for said 3 week period ($285,000 prorated weekly).

If we can only get one of our injured DL back, I hope it's Brace. His loss was really noticeable against the run on Sunday night.

So they cut one d-lineman and replaced him with another one. I don't know if that an ominous signing or an open roster spot. If the Pats cut a player at another position and added a d-lineman, then it would be ominous.

The fact that they are adding D-Linemen and Brace, Pryor and Wright not playing in games is a problem. I'm optimistic re: Brace and Pryor but Wright's status is a complete mystery.

In theory, if they were playing BB wouldn't be playing musical chairs with the D-Line.

The fact that they are adding D-Linemen and Brace, Pryor and Wright not playing in games is a problem. I'm optimistic re: Brace and Pryor but Wright's status is a complete mystery.

In theory, if they were playing BB wouldn't be playing musical chairs with the D-Line.

They are not adding a D-lineman. They are replacing one d-lineman with another. They have the exact same number of d-linemen on the roster that they had last week.

By the way, is Wright getting his brain replaced or something? That must have been an EPIC concussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes