PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Kyle Auffray, TE from UNH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well isn't this the 2nd TE they cut in the past 2-3 weeks? Maybe that is the story here. They just seems to keep signing and cutting guys at that spot. I wonder if there is any subtle indication we can gleam from this.

Do you think the constant recycling of TEs is more of or less of an indication they plan to sign a vet?

Could be.

If I was a betting man I'd put money on Keller if that were the case.

Well isn't this the 2nd TE they cut in the past 2-3 weeks? Maybe that is the story here. They just seems to keep signing and cutting guys at that spot. I wonder if there is any subtle indication we can gleam from this.

Do you think the constant recycling of TEs is more of or less of an indication they plan to sign a vet?

It's an indication that these guys aren't, at the least, fringe players.

The TE depth is looking for something better than Mulligan, but hasn't found it yet. With so many bodies out there, I doubt that roster spot gets too warm for anyone that doesn't show something the instant they are signed.

I wouldn't be surprised either way about a vet signing, but we haven't had any indication that a vet is more desirable to BB than a carousel of UDFAs. For all we know the next TE the Patriots acquire might be on another teams roster.

bitcoin-gone.jpg

Mis-named.
Call it the Sean Morey Award
Bam was cut and re-signed ad infinitum; a different type of award
But it was Sean who every pre-season late in the 4th QTR would catch long game winning bombs tossed by a scrambling Michael Bishop
You know, Michael Bishop, the guy who we saw as the next (pre dog killin) Michael Vick in sharp contrast to the tease at QB who was The Statue
I think it should be the Shockmain Davis award. Just like his name, all sizzle, no steak.

LOL, you win! He just got cut!

So it's three pages for a guy who was on the team for a week, during OTAs!! Yeah, we are all that anal!!!

Well, backup tight end is one of the few positions in question, so of course a signing draws interest. Fringe players and the unknown are what there is to talk about this time of year, so if that poster doesn't like it he can go to some glamour gossip site like BSPN.

Well, backup tight end is one of the few positions in question, so of course a signing draws interest.

Yep. Compare to the total silence around Jemea Thomas, an actual draft pick with actual talent, because he's at a position with a lot more depth.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill2 hrs
Was told that Kyle Auffray made a positive impression during OTAs. Wouldn’t be surprising if he gets another shot in camp.

Nick Underhill ‏@Nick_Underhill2 hrs
Was told that Kyle Auffray made a positive impression during OTAs. Wouldn’t be surprising if he gets another shot in camp.

If so, the Patriots have a funny way of showing their affection.

It's an indication that these guys aren't, at the least, fringe players.

The TE depth is looking for something better than Mulligan, but hasn't found it yet. With so many bodies out there, I doubt that roster spot gets too warm for anyone that doesn't show something the instant they are signed.

I wouldn't be surprised either way about a vet signing, but we haven't had any indication that a vet is more desirable to BB than a carousel of UDFAs. For all we know the next TE the Patriots acquire might be on another teams roster.
I for one really liked what Mulligan offered to the offense, having him on the field was like having an extra OL who was a capable of running routes and catching the football.

This is one reason I was high on drafting CJF as I felt he could provide the blocking and an improved receiving threat.

Yep. Compare to the total silence around Jemea Thomas, an actual draft pick with actual talent, because he's at a position with a lot more depth.

Talent will out, but I imagine he'd need to make it on teams to stick. He certainly would have had a better shot in past years.

I really think having gronk and the murderer spoiled us about what's available at tight end. It appears BB isn't going to scrape the barrel for the injured decent tight ends, but rather (IMO) is going to just keep a book on everyone and keep running camp cuts through the system until he finds some role players that fit.

Remember the joke about drafting/signing the best TE available? We've had a ton through here in the BB era and very few did much. Even the first rounders who were supposed to be two way stars (like gronk eventually became) were limited, Graham was tough but had stone hands, while watson was "looks like tarzan, plays like Jane" in my opinion.

I predict more role players, unless a camp cut of an actual two way tight end, or great move tight end that's a good value occurs.

If so, the Patriots have a funny way of showing their affection.

Deus's post up from yours says he's got a sprained knee and Pats will invite back.

Deus's post up from yours says he's got a sprained knee and Pats will invite back.

I read that as saying that *Johnson* expects to be back, not Auffray.

I really think having gronk and the murderer spoiled us about what's available at tight end.
Remember the joke about drafting/signing the best TE available?

Oh boy, has perspective ever changed! Fans used to be SO fed up with Belichick's "obsession" with the tight end position. In fact...

Heading into the 2010 draft -- the historically great TE class including Gronk & Hernandez -- the existing TE roster was just Alge Crumpler and Rob Myers :eek:. A PatsFans poster who I shall not name wrote this:
I don't want Bill even thinking of a TE until the 6th round.

This year, with a dreadful TE draft class, that very same poster is pillorying Belichick for not doing whatever it takes to upgrade the existing roster of Gronk, Hooman and Williams!

Hopefully he and LB Morris get a second chance.

Oh boy, has perspective ever changed! Fans used to be SO fed up with Belichick's "obsession" with the tight end position. In fact...

Heading into the 2010 draft -- the historically great TE class including Gronk & Hernandez -- the existing TE roster was just Alge Crumpler and Rob Myers :eek:. A PatsFans poster who I shall not name wrote this:
"I don't want Bill even thinking of a TE until the 6th round."

This year, with a dreadful TE draft class, that very same poster is pillorying Belichick for not doing whatever it takes to upgrade the existing roster of Gronk, Hooman and Williams!

That was me, wasn't it?

That was me, wasn't it?

And there I was, trying not to point fingers. :p

Not calling anybody out, just marveling over how Belichick & the fanbase seem to have switched places in the space of a few short years. We used to roll our eyes at how he kept insisting on drafting TEs, and now -- starting with a better TE lineup than they had back then -- we're freaked out that he "hasn't addressed the position."

I'm not immune, mind you. I want another TE in the worst way. (Well, perhaps not as badly as you...am I right in recalling that you would prefer they'd passed on Easley and traded down into the early 2nd for Jace Amaro? Now that's desperation! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes