PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign ILB Paris Lenon [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lenon had 120 tackles in 2008, and was a fine special teamer. And we bring him in place Alexander or Appleby as our #4 ILB. How can this be wrong? Is there a downside? What if it turns out that he is only a special teamer. We still will not have lost anything. We probably would still be improving our special teams.

Lenon had 120 tackles in 2008, and was a fine special teamer. And we bring him in place Alexander or Appleby as our #4 ILB. How can this be wrong? Is there a downside? What if it turns out that he is only a special teamer. We still will not have lost anything. We probably would still be improving our special teams.

Good point. Why improve an area that saw them having trouble tackling on kick returns with someone who is a proven tackler?

BINGO!!!!!! Adding a Lenon is certainly better than Duckett or Listorti..who they cut and it does strengthen that ILB fight...especially since McKenzie went down with a knee injury. No downside at all.

Agreed on all points. Did everyone suddenly forget the rate at which our LB's tend to get injured. Or the multiple games (vs. Buffalo, Jets, and Pitt come to mind) where our ST coverage hurt us pretty bad.

As long as Lenon signed for short money, there is zero downside with the guy. The worst thing that could happen in that scenario is that he is cut in the preseason with a minimal impact to the cap. If he stays on and becomes a decent special teamer, then he is at least worth the money paid.

As long as Lenon signed for short money, there is zero downside with the guy. The worst thing that could happen in that scenario is that he is cut in the preseason with a minimal impact to the cap. If he stays on and becomes a decent special teamer, then he is at least worth the money paid.
we were 1 injury away from disaster, this is good insurance, we know he can tackle

Good point. Why improve an area that saw them having trouble tackling on kick returns with someone who is a proven tackler?

120 tackles doesn't prove anything. The lions defense was terrible last year. LBs in terrible defenses tend to rack up a TON of tackles because they're on the field so often and long. You give up 6-10 plays every drive, and theres a lot of tackles to go around.

That being said, I hope hes decent, and cheap.

I think this is a great pickup. I can't believe so many people are thinking he's TC fodder or battling for the #4 spot. I don't care if it was the Detroit Lions, he still led his team in tackles, and to be a MLB you can't exactly sit there and be stupid. Bruschi, God love him, is done--spot player at best--and I think Guyton and Lenon will battle for the starting spot, with the other guy being the first one off the bench. And I'm sure the Pats didn't break the bank for this guy.

Last edited:
I think this is a great pickup. I can't believe so many people are thinking he's TC fodder or battling for the #4 spot. I don't care if it was the Detroit Lions, he still led his team in tackles, and to be a MLB you can't exactly sit there and be stupid. Bruschi, God love him, is done--spot player at best--and I think Guyton and Lenon will battle for the starting spot, with the other guy being the first one off the bench. And I'm sure the Pats didn't break the bank for this guy.

Get in line with the conventional wisdom, boy: He was a starter on a terrible team last year, therefore he's terrible.

Why this argument doesn't apply to Bodden I don't know, but there you have it.

It seems to me that only one of four ILB spots is locked down, with open competition for the other 3.

Here's some more on Lenon: Pats add another ex-Lion, LB Lenon - The Sun Chronicle Online - Sports

Mark Farinella/Attleboro Sun Chronicle said:
With the signing of free-agent linebacker Paris Lenon on Wednesday, the Patriots have added depth to their linebacking corps and a possible replacement for another departed linebacker, Larry Izzo, on their special teams.

Lenon, 31, is an accomplished special-teamer as well as a reliable, if not flashy, inside linebacker. The former route may be the best for him to take as he strives to make the regular season roster this fall, although he has been a steady starter with the Detroit Lions over the last three seasons.

Originally signed by the Carolina Panthers in 2000 as a rookie free agent out of Richmond, Lenon didn't make a regular-season roster in the NFL until after a stint with the Memphis Maniax of the late, lamented XFL in 2001 After a stint on the Green Bay Packers' practice squad during the 2001 season, he finally made it to the big time in 2002, playing in all 16 games and leading the club with 22 special teams tackles. In 2003, Lenon again played in every game and finished second on the Packers with 16 special teams stops.

He saw his first extensive action at linebacker in 2004, playing in every game with four starts and recording 28 tackles (17 solo). In 2005, Lenon became a regular for Green Bay, starting 12 of 16 games and posting 79 tackles (47 solo), including 11/2 sacks.

Lenon went to the Lions as a free agent in 2006, starting all 48 games over three seasons. He was second on the team with 97 tackles (60 solo) and also made his first career interception. In 2007, he posted a career-high 161 tackles (101 solo), including a career-best two sacks, and also had a 61-yard interception return for a touchdown. And last season, Lenon led Detroit with 146 tackles (98 solo), including 11/2 sacks, two forced fumbles and two recoveries.

The 6-foot-2, 235-pound linebacker enters the 2009 season having not missed a game in his seven-year NFL career. He has started 63 consecutive games.

Considering the injuries the Pats had last year, I would think we would be welcoming with open arms a guy who has not missed a single game in seven years. At worst he's a special team guy that can replace Izzo or Washington. And if he needs to get on the field to fill in got Guyton or Brushi, he's certainly an upgrade over Izzo. Let's see what he can do. Some depth at ILB and quality special teams play isn't a bad thing.

120 tackles doesn't prove anything. The lions defense was terrible last year. LBs in terrible defenses tend to rack up a TON of tackles because they're on the field so often and long. You give up 6-10 plays every drive, and theres a lot of tackles to go around.

That being said, I hope hes decent, and cheap.

That argument is a total load of garbage already shot down pages ago :rolleyes:

Re: LB Paris Lenon Close to Agreement w/ Patriots

Paris Lenon

Originally posted by the Herald.

Lenon led the Detroit Lions with 121 tackles last year.

We're saved... Can we relax about the linebackers now? Probably not. :rolleyes:

My main concern is his size 6'2 235. He needs to gain about 5-10 lbs to be effective in this defense.

Last edited:
IMO we got Izzo back in other words a special teamer and thats it. LB is still a need. Below are comments from a lions fan on Kffl:

The Crying Lion said:
Enjoy your productive ILB'er.

I have no doubt the Patriots will put him in a position to become better, but the guy is terrible terrible terrible as a starter.

I think you guys may have a stud in Bodden. I can see how the Tampa-2 scheme wouldn't have been a good fit for him, nor was Rod Marinelli's "You've got to earn it" approach. It wouldnt' surprise me to see Bodden in the pro-bowl wearing Patriot helmet.

Paris Lenon... well, I think his upside would be as a back-up on your roster. Lions fans have wanted him replaced for years now.

You can find ONE poster on this board who think that almost any of our starters are terrible. I've certainly heard such comments about Light, Kaczur, Koppen, and many others.

In any case, do think this same poster would ecstatic about Guyton starting for them instead of Lenon?

IMO we got Izzo back in other words a special teamer and thats it. LB is still a need. Below are comments from a lions fan on Kffl:

Sometimes the most important thing is what DID NOT happen, as Sherlock Holmes observed that "The dog did NOT bark in the night".

Belichick went out and got an ILB and not an OLB candidate, for his LB corps, after bypasing drafting any OLBs, and drafting an ILB high in Tyrone Mckenzie, who got hurt....

What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

Sometimes the most important thing is what DID NOT happen, as Sherlock Holmes observed that "The dog did NOT bark in the night".

Belichick went out and got an ILB and not an OLB candidate, for his LB corps, after bypasing drafting any OLBs, and drafting an ILB high in Tyrone Mckenzie, who got hurt....

What does that tell you? :rolleyes:

Jason Taylor = OLB

Reiss chimes in on Lenon also: Additional thought on Paris Lenon signing

Mike Reiss said:
In speaking with a reporter who covers the Lions this morning, it was noted that Lenon has been a solid special teams player. He played a key role on the Lions' punt coverage team at right tackle, with special teams coordinator Stan Kwan once calling him a "punt-team junkie".

Lenon's ability to contribute on special teams will be important as he attempts to earn a roster spot in New England. I could potentially see him becoming a core member of the special teams -- playing on punt coverage, punt return, kickoff coverage and kickoff return units -- in addition to providing depth at inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme.

Lenon's smarts were also mentioned as part of the discussion. While he might not have been the most athletic player on the field, coaches apparently trusted him to know the defense, be in the right place, and not make the same mistake twice.

I think Lenon will turn into one of these great pick ups by BB. He is improving as he gets older, he has a great work ethic, intelligence and he can play some based on what he's done so far in his career. It won't be long until the guy is being raved about in New England, I'm certain of that barring injury of course.

another Lions fan take on Paris

missed tackles, blown defensive assignments, overpursuits, underpursuits, terrible pass coverage, atrocious run stopping, underwhelming speed, poor agility, and my general impression that he does not actually know how to play football.

hope this guy is wrong. ( could be another PATs Monty Biesel type guy? )

The New England Patriots Know Something the Lions Don't Know | Bleacher Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey