PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Gerard Warren

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read the whole thread but what I did read was pretty negative. For some reason people seem to be taking every move they make to put together the best roster they can as an indictment of one player or another. I think Belichik is just trying to get as many good players s he can in camp so he can check them out and arrive at the best team he can field. We rally have no idea who is hurt or who is running out of time and the speculation that guys like Cunningham or Brace are about to get cut is baseless and sometimes mindless. There's nothing wrong with loading up cutting from a position of strength and it's certainly much better than the alternative.

This. So many times.

There's a good chance its guys like Anderson and Carter who end up getting cut at the end of preseason. He's bringing in bodies because the bodies are willing to take deals that don't have much bonus money. IE, they're free.

I imagined Vince back deep.

For a period of less than 24 hours in the 2005 season, Vince was leading the NFL in interceptions. You may be on to something.

I see no problem with bringing in as many guys as you can during camp and preseason, especially when it comes to the veteran depth. If you have one free spot on a roster, bring in three guys to fight for it. If you have 4 free spots, bring in ten to fight for it.

Teams can have NINETY players on the roster right now, or some crazy amount like that. Use every last one of those spots, Bill!

I see no problem with bringing in as many guys as you can during camp and preseason, especially when it comes to the veteran depth. If you have one free spot on a roster, bring in three guys to fight for it. If you have 4 free spots, bring in ten to fight for it.

Teams can have NINETY players on the roster right now, or some crazy amount like that. Use every last one of those spots, Bill!

I totally agree. Some are bashing these moves like every one of these older vets will be on the opening day roster. BB is doing the smart thing as usual, using this most unique FA situation in league history to his advantage. There's a glut of guys on the market, and so many, especially older vets, are willing to sign for short money. Load 'em up. Test 'em out. Keep the best. In Bill I trust.

BB is building a shadow roster for the DL :)

Practice and learn the D and if you don't make the roster (or get signed by another team later) some will be told to stay in shape and wait by the phone.....injuries DO happen on the DL....:rocker:

Gerard Warren Only Wanted to Play for Patriots in 2011 - New England Patriots - NESN.com - Jeff Howe

Defensive lineman Gerard Warren didn't really want to hear from anyone else. He told his agent not to call from him until he heard from the Patriots, and when that moment finally arrived, it was time to strike a deal.

"I don't want to burn any bridges, but that's pretty much what it boiled down to," Warren said when he was asked if he wanted to play for the Patriots and no one else. "I told everybody I wanted to come back to New England because I knew what the purpose was here."

I thought Warren was a solid lineman for us last year. Happy to have him back to fire up the competition even more. Really happy we're overhauling the dline because we absolutely needed to.

He had an excellent year! I was hoping they would land him again; this sort of completes a very scary line. G. Warren / Vince / Haynesworth and Carter is very very scary. There will be a line of broken QBs in the AFC east this season

Honestly they have no idea what they want.

All these recent signings show me that they think Cunnigham and Moore suck.

Because Cunningham and Moore are 300 lb linemen? They've brought in exactly one pass rusher with any production and cut one in TBC. (Anderson had one good year).

Last edited:
I don't blame him. This is a guy who has played with the Browns, the Broncos, and the Raiders. He's seen what dysfunctional teams are like.

I get warm fuzzies thinking about a guy like that. It sucks working in dysfunctional situations, whether in sports or elsewhere.

Nice so instead of 3-4 to 4-3 switch we are really going to go with a 52 (52 stack monster!!)
52 was awesome in freshman football.

Awesome Quote: Warren

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet» Blog Archive » Patriots DT Gerard Warren never worried when the phone didn’t ring: “(Belichick) is a man of his word.”

Weren’t you nervous when the phone didn’t ring?

“(Belichick) a man of his word,” ....

“I was glad to come back,” Warren said. .......It didn’t finish the way we wanted it to, but I know the purpose and the direction that this team wants to go and I want to be a part of it again.”

What about all the competition at defensive tackle?

“Only the strong will survive,” he said.

ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE. Gotta love the attitude.

Re: Awesome Quote: Warren

This is one of those signings, like Matt Light's, that will pay big dividends down the line, perhaps more than Chad 85 or Fat Albert.

He's gone from a top draft pick bust to a lunch pail type of guy who gets the job done and wants to earn a ring or two.

I love these kinds of players. He's got the size, the talent, and (now) the heart.

Am I the only one who thinks they need to sing "Ba Na Na Way" during defensive line drills?

Am I the only one who thinks they need to sing "Ba Na Na Way" during defensive line drills?

Not sure to many people will actually get that reference but I enjoyed it.

Warren played well last year and I hope he makes the team. He's obviously no longer an every down player and all, but his presence was felt last season and I think he can repeat that this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back