Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots sign Banta-Cain and former UMass TE Brad Listorti

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Patriots blog - Reiss' Pieces - Boston.com
    Mike posted more info in the press release.
  2. Lampshade

Lampshade Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Re: Patriots sign Banta-Cain

Welcome back, Tully! More competition at OLB/ST.
  3. WhiskeyBreath

WhiskeyBreath Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You beat me by a minute to this thread so I axed mine. Interested in the terms of the deal.
  4. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

That's a twist.
  5. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +896 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Well, the axe that fell yesterday now makes more sense.
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

This makes me think aside from one more ILB in the draft, that we are set at linebacker. Look more for S, CB, and D-line
  7. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I honestly think that all of the kids that we picked up in the draft and the undrafted free agents are all in play at linebacker, IMO.
  8. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

The fact that they are building up OLB depth lends credibility to the idea that AD is moving inside, at least for some formations.
  9. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

I'd agree - if there weren't so much dang talent at OLB in this draft...Sintim, Barwin, English. I think one of those guys still ends up on the squad.

What this might say is that the team and Pierre Woods are not in accord on what his value is - and that he might not be back next season. Of course, if that were the case, you think they'd just tender him.
  10. signbabybrady

signbabybrady Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Very nice to have the Banta Clause back....tis the season for gifts hopefully bigger and better to come.

I like this though...What we know about Tully is he is a really good STer and played a nice role as a Sub OLB pass-rusher. He adds to the depth and competition of the position.

Vrabel, Thomas as starters and Tully and assuming we tender Woods as reserves makes a nice group at OLB and that doesn't even factor Crable. OLB looks pretty good. And since Vrabel and Thomas both can play inside this actually does alot to the overall depth of the LB position as a whole.
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  11. Disco Volante

Disco Volante Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Let's get back into '06 mode Tully.
  12. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like this. TBC was pretty good for us.
  13. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +896 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

If TBC is actually getting signed to play linebacker and not just serve on special teams, it seems to me that one logical conclusion is that either Woods is gone or Crable isn't looking good.
  14. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +380 / 0 / -1

That's what scares me. I don't like this move. I never thought TBC did much for us, and I was fine when the 49ers decided to overpay for him 2 years ago. We have a lot of developmental talent at OLB, and Woods showed more last year than Banta-Cain ever did IMHO. So I don't understand why we're resigning him, unless we're losing someone.
  15. farn

farn Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

To be honest - if we're talking low $$$ and no garantees, it could just mean competition at LB and depth at ST. I'm not reading any more than that from this, with the exception that TBC knowing the system is also a plus.
  16. BradyManny

BradyManny Rookie

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0

I like what Woods brings to the table and agree with virtually everything you say here except I come to a different conclusion b/c I think you're underrating TBC's play here. TBC had 43 tackles, 5.5 sacks and 1 FF in 2006, which ain't too shabby.

I'm on record saying I'm comfortable with Woods as the starting OLB in the base 3-4 given how he set the edge. I can't recall how TBC was as an edge setter b/c I mainly viewed his strength as pass rushing.

But if I'm the Pats, I'm moving Adalius to SILB in that base 3-4 and using somebody else at OLB in those early downs. Adalius' strength, size & speed at SILB in those early downs is the biggest upgrade this team can do on defense this offseason.
  17. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Say it with me, folks: 80 Man Limit

I think it means they called him and he was cheap and ready to come in and compete for a spot.

Plus his name makes me think of Jason Voorhees and who wouldn't want that guy rushing the passer?
  18. miDeuce

miDeuce Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#50 Jersey

I believe this is the closest to the truth. If nothing else the Pats won't be forced into drafting any position. They can take the best available player. I think it's similar to the Victor Hobson signing last year. At the time it seemed like we needed him but then Guyton beat him out. Of course we wanted him back later in the year but that's besides the point...
  19. BradyBranch39

BradyBranch39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Yea, in no way is he guaranteed a spot.
  20. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +896 / 46 / -48

Disable Jersey

Here's the problem I have with this logic, although it's certainly possible that you are correct........

There are now seemingly about 5 million NFL teams converting to the 3-4. Why would TBC dash back to New England with nothing but a "you can compete for a spot" with teams like the Jets, Chiefs, Cardinals, Broncos, etc... in play too?

It's possible that he really missed New England. It's possible that he/his agent is a complete idiot. It's more likely that "compete for a spot" has some real meaning. For the record, I have no issue with the signing. I have said all along that this is going to be a very interesting offseason, and I'm finding that move after move in the NFL is fascinating the hell out of me this year.

This is really shaping up to be the most interesting offseason in years, league wide. Hell, 2-3 more coaches were probably fired and hired in the time it took me to post this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.