PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign DL Alan Branch, and release LB Deontae Skinner

Status
Not open for further replies.
fair enough

Personally, I believe that Collins is very good sub LB that needs improvement as a run defending starter. I certainly was somewhat shocked that Belichick thought that Mayo, Collins and Hightower were so good (and invincible) that no backups were needed. Thankfully, that situation has been corrected, albeit with players only signed for this year.

I don't disagree with that, though I think there is a difference between having backups and having Collins only be a sub LB. Neither Ayers nor Casillas is likely to be taking reps from Collins as a base LB, though both provide needed depth and versatility. I also think it is telling that BB - contrary to what many on this board thought was needed - didn't go out and look for a run-stopping LB.

So, Collins is a 3-down LB and a good solid starter because he has started instead of guys like Skinner? So, yes, belichick considers Collins a starter. After all, Belichick started the season with Hightower, Collins and Mayo as starters.

I agree that Collins has indeed been expected to start.

So, all our starters are good, solid starters, because, well because they start?

Sorry, I think that the issue is more than semantics.

MGTiech,

Many don't recognize just how y-o-u-n-g this Patriot team has become. Only one of the nominal starters on the Defense has been in his position for two full seasons. Similarly, only five Offensive players have two years of experience at their present Patriot position. Some have experience elsewhere, but for continuity considerations that doesn't mean much.

The Team BB is constructing, will be able to play together for several years. If they can win double digit victories now, imagine what they will be capable of in a few years together.

In the meantime. present "starters" are learning on the job, and are not necessarily finished products.

Another example of the Patriots Rising thesis.

"Not only had Patriots coach Bill Belichick and his staff had an opportunity to watch Casillas play in games for the Saints (2009-12) and Buccaneers (2013-14) -- the Patriots played the Saints in 2009 and against the Bucs in 2013 -- but they also saw the 6-foot-1, 227-pounder practice for extended periods of time.

Before the 2012 and 2013 seasons the Patriots held joint training camp practices with New Orleans and Tampa Bay.

"We've known, watched Jonathan for a while," Belichick said Wednesday. "Athletic, smart guy. Has played defense -- four-down player -- played defense and in the kicking game. Been a productive player in New Orleans and Tampa. Played against him, practiced against him. I have a lot of respect for him, his experience, and his versatile skills."

Belichick also could have had the added benefit of Greg Schiano's input, but he wouldn't say if he had spoken to Schiano -- Tampa Bay's head coach last season -- about Casillas. "

What do you have to say now Tip? Are you going to buck Belichick's own words.

Let's just agree to cease this acrimonious nonsense. Please.

Is a large part of your post cut and pasted from a media link?

No. I think BB considers Collins a very good player, and he's shown his trust in Collins by using him in a variety of ways. I don't equate needing to improve in an area with being a bad player. Mayo got bashed on this board for years, despite BB obviously valuing him very highly.

I have no problem with you, Deus, or anyone else disagreeing with that assessment. In the end, none of our opinions matters, only what BB thinks of Collins. The only issue I had was with Deus' attitude that his opinion was "the truth".
The ignore user function was brought in to improve your reading experience. It has drastically improved mine.

The ignore user function was brought in to improve your reading experience. It has drastically improved mine.

While I disagree with Deus on many issues, I find him an insightful and knowledgeable poster, and I generally consider it well worth reading his posts, while discounting his particular biases. I've learned much from him, in spite of his idiosyncrasies. I personally don't take butting heads over this particular issue too seriously.

Plus his avatar is just so damn hot.

Against the broncos, bb is going to play in a sub defense all the time. No need for branch this week.

Is a large part of your post cut and pasted from a media link?

Yes, For whatever reason couldn't get the web page attribution to print. So I made sure to not copy it all down; and surrounded it with quotes.

While I disagree with Deus on many issues, I find him an insightful and knowledgeable poster, and I generally consider it well worth reading his posts, while discounting his particular biases. I've learned much from him, in spite of his idiosyncrasies. I personally don't take butting heads over this particular issue too seriously.

I find him to be an intelligent, annoying pain in the arse who refuses to see fault in his own position despite a willing want to denigrate the opinion of others taking a similar tact. As good as the material that he offers may be (don't be mistaken, it is very good most of the time), the hypocrisy just isn't worth wasting my time on.

Posting up an avatar is no big deal.

BEING the avatar is! :D

I feel a lot better about this Defensive Line rotation now than before the season began.

I, on the other hand, felt better about it when Chandler Jones was still around.

I, on the other hand, felt better about it when Chandler Jones was still around.
I'm going on an assumption that the Patriots will have Jones for meaningful football. Hopefully there are no further injuries during his absence.

Against the broncos, bb is going to play in a sub defense all the time. No need for branch this week.

I think they use him on first and 2nd down. if you can show them run and then stop the run and put manning into 3rd and long situations that would be ideal.

I find it hard to believe he isn't going to have any interior DL out there Sunday.

Yeah, but I doubt it will be Branch. He'll still have to learn the defense and get back into something approaching playing shape. We'll probably see a good amount of Wilfork and Walker out there.

He did. I am just saying if not for the DUI the previous team would not have cut him.
I dont know if thats true. If thats the case why has no other team considered him? Its quite possible hes just not as good as he was.

Posting up an avatar is no big deal.

BEING the avatar is! :D

If Deus actually was that avatar then I would be happy to agree with her on just about anything.

I dont know if thats true. If thats the case why has no other team considered him? Its quite possible hes just not as good as he was.

Nah, he was just never that good in the first place I think. He is a good NFL run stuffer (not elite but good) and offer's no pass rush.

Guys like him are not guys you tend to pound the table to keep around. Are they nice to have? Sure, but on almost every team he is a 3rd and maybe 4th DL that goes in only for particular situations.

I have no delusions of grandeur. Here, I'm nothing more than an observer commenting on a game, the same as everyone else. You'll have to come up with better troll material.

In fact, don't bother. I'm tired of the stupidity around here.
Does this mean you're finally leaving and never coming back??

Jonathan Casillas did not land on the injury report until week 6. Jonathan Casillas did not lose a starting job due to injury.

Stop posting bull crap without the facts.

You want facts. Just make sure you can handle them.
Casillas started the first 3 games of the year for the Bucs. He played in the next two as a sub, getting injured in game 5.. That's 5 games. He missed the Baltimore game, had the Tampa's bye week, and then missed the Minnesota game. That was with the groin and hamstring injuries..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back