PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign 8 free agents, including Robert Ortiz, Vinny Ciurciu, 4 UDFAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Released Ruud and picked up Ciurciu?
Doesn't say much about Ruud.

Ciurciu's a bit of a head-scratcher...too small for ILB, too slow for hybrid S/LB. Maybe he's taking Ruud's no-position LB slot? :)

EDIT: I see Urgent had the same thought, more urgently.

Last edited:
Released Ruud and picked up Ciurciu?
Doesn't say much about Ruud.
Perhaps, but a lot depends on the role he was drafted to fill.

Eckel was ordered to stay in. He was eventually kicked out for, one presumes, footdragging about his duties.

Nobody has explained what led to Eckel's separation from the Navy.

Needless to say, I think putting Eckel on the reserve/military list was a complete d*****bag move on Saban's part.

Ciurciu's a bit of a head-scratcher...too small for ILB, too slow for hybrid S/LB. Maybe he's taking Ruud's no-position LB slot? :)

EDIT: I see Urgent had the same thought, more urgently.

Ciurciu is know for his special teams play and signed a decent contract with Minnesota because of it. The Vikings special teams were horrible last year, so Ciurciu was shown the door. The Patriots have been looking at several special teams guys this offseason (Heath Farwell, Mike Adams) but they both signed back with their respective teams. I don't think Ciurciu is on their level, and I doubt he makes the squad.

thats a lot of WR's

Article didn't mention anything in it about allowing graduates to play pro football...just nominations.
Your original question: "What happened between February and now that allowed Ketanni to be signed by the Patriots? He's the same guy who was told NO! by the Navy when he asked to participate in the NFL Combine back in February..."

The answer is nothing ever prevented Kettani from being signed. The Navy refused him permission to participate in the Combine because their service policy would seem to limit his hope of being drafted. The Navy's policy on service time for Academy graduates has not changed, BUT...the Navy has a new Secretary (hence the article) who can change the rules with a stroke of his pen. The Air Force has a different policy and the various services will be trying to work out a uniform policy, which may allow the three Navy kids an opportunity to play. It will be up to them to make the most of their opportunity while signed to a UDFA contract. BB has Admirals, active and retired, on speed dial, if he wants one of these kids for the team or the Practice Squad I'm sure he can get a hearing before the Secretary and there are enough Naval facilities in the region for the Navy to work out something for their service commitment.

Your original question: "What happened between February and now that allowed Ketanni to be signed by the Patriots? He's the same guy who was told NO! by the Navy when he asked to participate in the NFL Combine back in February..."

The answer is nothing ever prevented Kettani from being signed. The Navy refused him permission to participate in the Combine because their service policy would seem to limit his hope of being drafted. The Navy's policy on service time for Academy graduates has not changed, BUT...the Navy has a new Secretary (hence the article) who can change the rules with a stroke of his pen. The Air Force has a different policy and the various services will be trying to work out a uniform policy, which may allow the three Navy kids an opportunity to play. It will be up to them to make the most of their opportunity while signed to a UDFA contract. BB has Admirals, active and retired, on speed dial, if he wants one of these kids for the team or the Practice Squad I'm sure he can get a hearing before the Secretary and there are enough Naval facilities in the region for the Navy to work out something for their service commitment.

Right but that's speculation, I was looking for actual substance that they had changed their stance regarding new Naval Academy graduates playing professional football since then...Just appointing someone who still needs to go through the confirmation process doesn't mean it will change.

Right but that's speculation, I was looking for actual substance that they had changed their stance regarding new Naval Academy graduates playing professional football since then...Just appointing someone who still needs to go through the confirmation process doesn't mean it will change.
You want a firm answer when there isn't one, it's a tough life and BB's taking advantage of the uncertainty to get a jump on other clubs who might have looked at these kids.

You want a firm answer when there isn't one, it's a tough life and BB's taking advantage of the uncertainty to get a jump on other clubs who might have looked at these kids.

Sorry, didn't want that to sound disrespectful. BB getting them off the market is a solid explanation and smart move even if they can't get out of their commitment to the Navy.

Sorry, didn't want that to sound disrespectful. BB getting them off the market is a solid explanation and smart move even if they can't get out of their commitment to the Navy.
No worries, it was a good question, there's just not a good answer. White and Kettani were a couple kids I was hoping to see in camp, so I'm hopeful something gets worked out so they can compete for at least a Practice Squad slot.

Prep notebook: Northview's Arellanes makes backup plan - SGVTribune.com
Perez signs with New England Patriots

Former Charter Oak High School punter Aaron Perez, who went on to have a stellar career at UCLA, signed a one-year contract with the New England Patriots after attending a mini camp with the team, Chargers coach Lou Farrar said on Monday.

"I saw his grandmother in church and she was excited," Farrar said. "When we first saw Aaron as a freshman, we took him from the soccer team and had to twist his mom's arm to let him play. We knew he had the leg, but you never know how things are going to work out. This is a tremendous opportunity for him."

Last edited:
Here's an April 25 background piece, again note the current policy was set by the outgoing Secretary of the Navy.

Kettani hopes NFL honor follows president's - The News-Herald Sports : Breaking news coverage for Northern Ohio
For Kettani, it's always been a goal, but one he knew wasn't likely after committing to play for the Navy after a productive career at Lake Catholic.

As a member of one of the service academies, Kettani is obligated to commit five years to his country following his graduation on May 22.

There is a Department of Defense policy that states a graduate with unique abilities can serve two years of active duty, then six in the reserves. However, Donald C. Winter, secretary of the Navy, suspended the policy because of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a story in the Baltimore Sun.

Kettani told The News-Herald he is still hopeful he will be able to serve two years of active duty, then six in the reserves while he pursues his NFL career. He said nothing has been finalized yet.

Regardless of the Navy's decision, the earliest the 6-foot-1, 233-pound bruiser with impressive speed (Kettani has been timed under 4.6 seconds in the 40-yard dash) could play in the NFL likely would be 2011.
-----
Following his graduation next month, he will be stationed in Newport, R.I., for six months. Kettani said each year the Navy selects "four or five" players from the senior class and has them coach the Naval Academy Preparatory School football team.

Kettani, naturally, will tutor the fullbacks.

During that period, he also hopes to participate in an NFL team's minicamp and maybe even a training camp.

After his coaching time is up, Kettani said he will be stationed in Florida for 18 months.

After that, he hopes to be playing professional football.

Last edited:
NFL Tryouts - Navy Sports Blog | Blogs | (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)
Obviously, the future of Navy football players in the NFL is clouded at the moment as current policy does not allow any deviation from the five-year post-graduate commitment. However, there is a new Secretary of the Navy in place and it will be interesting to see whether former Mississippi Governor Ray Mabus brings Navy in line with service academy rivals Army and Air Force in allowing graduates with professional sports potential to serve two years on active duty and a subsequent six years in the reserves.

Rumors abound that officials with Army, Air Force and Navy met recently in an attempt to create a uniform policy that is followed by all branches of the military.

Here's an April 25 background piece, again note the current policy was set by the outgoing Secretary of the Navy.
Kettani hopes NFL honor follows president's - The News-Herald Sports : Breaking news coverage for Northern Ohio

Getting singled out by the President as is mentioned in the piece is a huge start...would be hard for the Navy to justify him not being allowed to move into the reserves or recruiting during his required time in lieu of active service with that hanging over them...

This I think is the next step beyond the speculation in motion in favor of them playing if they make the team(s)...

Rumors abound that officials with Army, Air Force and Navy met recently in an attempt to create a uniform policy that is followed by all branches of the military.

Last edited:
This kid just moved up a step today because the Pats waived Malone to sign the new safety,,,,

Prep notebook: Northview's Arellanes makes backup plan - SGVTribune.com
Perez signs with New England Patriots

Former Charter Oak High School punter Aaron Perez, who went on to have a stellar career at UCLA, signed a one-year contract with the New England Patriots after attending a mini camp with the team, Chargers coach Lou Farrar said on Monday.

"I saw his grandmother in church and she was excited," Farrar said. "When we first saw Aaron as a freshman, we took him from the soccer team and had to twist his mom's arm to let him play. We knew he had the leg, but you never know how things are going to work out. This is a tremendous opportunity for him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes