Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots shuffle practice squad

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Christopher_Price, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher_Price

Christopher_Price Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

The Patriots made two moves today, signing center Pat Ross and cornerback Tim Mixon to the practice squad and releasing defensive lineman Zach West from the practice squad. Here’s the announcement the team just issued:The New England Patriots signed center Pat Ross and cornerback Tim Mixon to their practice squad today. Additionally, the Patriots released [...]

More...
  2. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hope this doesn't mean Koppen's going to miss the Cowboys game.
  3. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +368 / 24 / -48

#50 Jersey

Pat Ross is from Boston College. Signed by the Seahawks after going undrafted in 2006. Was released from their practice squad this year.

Tim Mixon is from Cal. Mixon played opposite Hughes at Cal. Mixon also went undrafted.
  4. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Interesting, looks like Eckel will stay in the bigs for at least another week.

Groin injuries are buggers, not only are they funny and awkward to discuss they take a long time to heal. Anyone who has played hockey knows what I am talking about.
  5. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I think with Ross moved in, the injury to Koppen is a bit more serious..just a hunch about that. Not sure about the Mixon move in..I thought Ross might be a good late round pick for them; BC seems to have some good centers...Koppen Woody and now Ross...
    I am wondering if Samuel is a bit banged up; know he went out for awhile..KNOW we will find out more on injury day..tomorrow..
  6. Urgent

Urgent Rookie

Ratings:
    +171 / 2 / -0

#24 Jersey

It just makes sense to stock the PS with corners. They should have picked up a bunch of udfa corners, given Samuel's contract situation and Gay's injury history. Samuel and Gay are both free agents. The Pats should be doing everything possible to develop a fourth corner with some experience in the system for next season. Obviously a long shot, but with the OL and DL so young and deep, DB (and LB) are the spots to focus. I don't think there is any necessary link to the roster now, or Samuel's condition.

Also at center, the Pats haven't had a true back-up center for a couple seasons. Hochstein is a good guard, and an adequate center. Having a true center developing on the roster, maybe to replace him next year, makes all sorts of sense.

With Light, Kaczur, O'Callaghan, and Britt at tackle, it makes no sense to hold a PS spot there. Similarly, with Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, and Yates, there's not much room for a guard. Same story at DL - with Le Kevin and Kareem and the other young back-ups, there is little chance a guy like Zach West can make it.

Then again, the Pats are really rotating players through this season. These two are probably in for a one-week PS audition, and are very likely to be gone in another week. Possibly for another corner/center/or LB combo.
  7. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

They worked out the new corner on the main stadium field today. Also, Troy and Gaffney were taking passes from Cassell and Gutierrez.
  8. BostonBullit

BostonBullit Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I was going to bring this up in its own thread....I wonder if BB is doing this out of necessity or (more likely) for a more strategic reason. They finally have an offense that can build a big cushion by halftime so why not rotate in some younger guys to build game experience. plus I love what he's doing with Seau and Tedy, he's extending both of thier playing careers and getting the most "bang for the buck" at the same time. this all makes a lot more sense than throwing a backup with no playing time under his belt out on the field if a primary goes down during a game, it's nice that they have the team built well enough to do it :rocker:
  9. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Why do you think they might be gone?? Especially for another C? If anything, I think Ros stays until Koppen is better..and I really think this move may mean his injury is a it more serious..
  10. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +43 / 11 / -4

#54 Jersey

Something I forgot about, with Eckel sticking I assumed it meant they were covering themselves in case Maroney was still gimpy. But what if Faulk has a high ankle sprain and will miss a lot of time...

I am starting a rumor, the Pats trade a 5th or a WR (Washington, Gaffney) to the Vikings for Mewelde Moore.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...lug=jc-vikingsmoore100907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

or pick up Tatum Bell for a 6th round pick
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/...lt=AqSqueXsDS9IjcrSEL_VvDqF2bYF?urn=nfl,48430

Ps. I like the PS moves, you can never have enough CBs and Mixon can try to become a Ray Mickens type well Ross is coached up to be the next Hoch...
  11. Bertil

Bertil Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wonder how serious Koppen's injury really is given the fact that he returned to the game after the injury.
  12. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Not sure either team would do that...I agree that if both are out it is a large concern...another RB might be eyed...esp if BOTH are out..I am sure BB has plans..
  13. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +231 / 45 / -22

No Jersey Selected

The Vikings are asking for a 3rd-rounder from TB for Moore; I doubt that they would settle for a 5th from us. I've always liked Moore; I thought that we should have drafted him instead of Dexter Reid. Or, at the very least, Michael Turner instead of Cedrick Cobbs. I still see Moore as Faulk's eventual replacement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.