PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should trade for Tony Gonzalez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watson has improved in a major area, blocking. His skills have diminished in receiving. He leads the league in tipped passes intercepted and drops combined. He does NOT run good routes contrary to some (see Coach DaBruinz our official NFL expert and PatsFans.com Simon Cowell persona). He does not fight for a ball but worse than that, he does not come back to the QB when they are in trouble. This is a problem with many receivers so it is not just Watson.

Sorry, DW, but you have nothing to support this idea that Watson runs poor routes... Nothing but your own extremely poor talent evaluation skills. In fact, most of the garbage you just mentioned is false... Watson does fight for the ball and has come back on plenty of occasions. The only place were we agree is that he had some dropped passes this year (4 in 49 targets). The 49 targets, though is the lowest number he's had with the Patriots. However, as Belichick said, Watson wasn't used nearly as much in the passing game.

Gonzales is an elite NFL player. The same members here who said the Pats do not need or should get Randy Moss are the same crowd saying "no thanks" to Gonzales. Admit you did!

Yes he is older. I would see if two more years would work. The Chiefs throw to him in double coverage all the time anyway and he still has 96 receptions.
He wants a ring. This is not happening for a few more years in K.C. Pioli or not.

Not all of us are like you. Some of us admit to our mistakes, like I did with Dillon. I took a wait and see attitude with Moss instead of damning him outright. Gonzalez has only ever been an Elite Pass Catching TE. His blocking left lots to be desired, though he's improved on that.

This year our number 3 receiver had mixed reviews (mostly Gaffney). With Gonzales you could still run a two tight end attack, keep Welker and Moss on the field and flex out Gonzales. On third down I will ask you all a question. who would you want to throw the ball to a critical third down, Gaffney or Gonzales? Tony can actually block if you need him to.

You have to ask yourselves this. How much more dangerous would the Pats be with Tony Gonzales?

Only as dangerous as the Pats offense is when they use a TE in a passing situation as a receiver. I wouldn't mind Gonzalez and have said so.

I would like to see more trades in the NFL. I can see this scenario (and please Simon DaBruinz et.al, this is just for fun) Maroney (I see a bust here) and Cassel going with Pioli and McDaniel for a swap of first rounders (BB will drop down and pick up more choices, perhaps around 10 in round one because it worked last year and get an added second rounder) plus the Chiefs second rounder which is a top fifty pick, Gonzales and LJ. Worse case scenario because the CAP on LJ is large, swap LJ to the Broncos or Eagles for another top fifty pick. The Chiefs won't swap within their division. Or....LJ would be a great compliment to Westbrook and the bigger back that the Eagles could use.

Then we should resign Jordan and we could be decent at RB without the "oft injured" Maroney.

Summary:
Pats get-Gonzales, LJ, the Chiefs number two in the top fifty, move up the board in a round one swap of picks, drop back down in a second trade (10ish?)and get another number two for that move. Then swap LJ because his CAP is too high within the Pats RB rotation for the Broncos or Eagles second rounder (as example).

The total at the end of the draft day= a top ten first rounder and two added second rounders to go with ours and the Chargers second round picks (1+4 on day one of the draft or..... a top ten number one in day one and 12.5% of the 2009 NFL second round picks) +Gonzales.

FOR

Cassel+Maroney.....Anybody buy into this?

Gonzales helps protect Brady, not because of his blocking, but you can single cover Watson but somebody extra must account for Tony G. thus more coverage needed.

DW Toys

Listen, you clearly don't understand the salary cap or ramifications of trades. You should really spend some time reading over Miguel's web page and learning those ramifications.

Yes, you think Maroney is a bust. Just like you think that Sanders is one also. Yet, BB disagrees with you on both counts.

I find it amazing that you call Maroney "oft-injured" but you want to re-sign a player (Jordan) who has missed 1 games in the last 3 years than Maroney has. Jordan's played in 29 of 48. Maroney in 30 of 48. Maroney is cheaper than Jordan and has more potential. Yet you think the Pats should just give up on him.. Maroney is 23. Jordan is 30.

Sorry, DW, but you have nothing to support this idea that Watson runs poor routes... Nothing but your own extremely poor talent evaluation skills. In fact, most of the garbage you just mentioned is false... Watson does fight for the ball and has come back on plenty of occasions. The only place were we agree is that he had some dropped passes this year (4 in 49 targets). The 49 targets, though is the lowest number he's had with the Patriots. However, as Belichick said, Watson wasn't used nearly as much in the passing game.

Not all of us are like you. Some of us admit to our mistakes, like I did with Dillon. I took a wait and see attitude with Moss instead of damning him outright. Gonzalez has only ever been an Elite Pass Catching TE. His blocking left lots to be desired, though he's improved on that.

Only as dangerous as the Pats offense is when they use a TE in a passing situation as a receiver. I wouldn't mind Gonzalez and have said so.

Listen, you clearly don't understand the salary cap or ramifications of trades. You should really spend some time reading over Miguel's web page and learning those ramifications.

Yes, you think Maroney is a bust. Just like you think that Sanders is one also. Yet, BB disagrees with you on both counts.

I find it amazing that you call Maroney "oft-injured" but you want to re-sign a player (Jordan) who has missed 1 games in the last 3 years than Maroney has. Jordan's played in 29 of 48. Maroney in 30 of 48. Maroney is cheaper than Jordan and has more potential. Yet you think the Pats should just give up on him.. Maroney is 23. Jordan is 30.

Again Simon DaBruinz, I am not an expert like you or a member of the Pats F.O. as you must surely be. Sanders still is not the answer and you know it and won't admit it. He is replaceable and a second tier player. We will never agree with that but it seems that I am not the only one who thinks that way on this site. BB praise a player one day then cuts him the next. You are not a newbee on this. BB "ya think" quote-"Well James Sanders starts for us but he really stinks".

I admit I was wrong about Cassel and have said so. I never said you were against opting for Gonzales. I do this for fun and thought and try not to "wack" people as you always do. You are so arrogant that when you say good things or occasionally have a good idea, it's tainted by your sarcasm. I even said my thoughts on this one were just an idea. You still need to lighten up. You must never go to a party of pub because the patrons would beat the hell out of you for being a smarty pants.

Yep, I would trade Maroney for a second in a heart beat if it was my job. He is also replaceable in my humble opinion Simon. He has a tradeable value and the last year of his contract. I think Jordan is more of a Pats type north south (non dancer) runner. I just said he could replace Maroney. If not Jordan then someone else and Maroney would not be missed. Wouldn't you take a second or Maroney or....... admit that you would consider it?

P.S. I have no trouble matching backrounds with you as far as talent evaluation goes. We should discuss that one day. You assume a whole lot.

DW Toys

Again Simon DaBruinz, I am not an expert like you or a member of the Pats F.O. as you must surely be. Sanders still is not the answer and you know it and won't admit it. He is replaceable and a second tier player. We will never agree with that but it seems that I am not the only one who thinks that way on this site. BB praise a player one day then cuts him the next. You are not a newbee on this. BB "ya think" quote-"Well James Sanders starts for us but he really stinks".

I admit I was wrong about Cassel and have said so. I never said you were against opting for Gonzales. I do this for fun and thought and try not to "wack" people as you always do. You are so arrogant that when you say good things or occasionally have a good idea, it's tainted by your sarcasm. I even said my thoughts on this one were just an idea. You still need to lighten up. You must never go to a party of pub because the patrons would beat the hell out of you for being a smarty pants.

Yep, I would trade Maroney for a second in a heart beat if it was my job. He is also replaceable in my humble opinion Simon. He has a tradeable value and the last year of his contract. I think Jordan is more of a Pats type north south (non dancer) runner. I just said he could replace Maroney. If not Jordan then someone else and Maroney would not be missed. Wouldn't you take a second or Maroney or....... admit that you would consider it?

P.S. I have no trouble matching backrounds with you as far as talent evaluation goes. We should discuss that one day. You assume a whole lot.

DW Toys

1.) Sanders is a multi-year starter. Clearly, he was not praised one day and then cut the next, yet you've bagged on him seemingly every time you've made a post.

2.) In sports, as in life, pretty much everyone is replaceable.

e. Sanders still is not the answer and you know it and won't admit it. He is replaceable and a second tier player.

DW Toys

Not every player on a team can be a first tier player. The patriots have built their dynasty on players exactly like Sanders: better than average at their position, and extremely cheap.

An average starter from the end of the 4th round is a great pick.

You really are a dolt. And you clearly don't read. No where have I ever said that Sanders wasn't replacable. Nor did I say he wasn't upgradeable. That is your own ignorance being put out there. If you actually had read some of the draft threads, you'd know that.

I
admit I was wrong about Cassel and have said so. I never said you were against opting for Gonzales. I do this for fun and thought and try not to "wack" people as you always do. You are so arrogant that when you say good things or occasionally have a good idea, it's tainted by your sarcasm. I even said my thoughts on this one were just an idea. You still need to lighten up. You must never go to a party of pub because the patrons would beat the hell out of you for being a smarty pants.

You don't know me at all. I give people what they've earned. People like Box, Deus, Mg, etc, they get respect because they've earned it. You haven't. All you've done is spew garbage and refuse to see beyond the end of your nose.

I can guarantee you that I go out and have usually no issues with people because they aren't the stupid ignorant ones who just mouth off and act like idiots the way you do. I've never started anything, but have held my own, proving to several that I'm no pushover.

DW Toys

I don't assume anything regarding your lack of skills in talent evaluation. You've proven time and again that yours leaves much to be desired.

As for Maroney, He's not in the last year of his contract. He's under contract through the 2010 season. The Patriots are NOT a strictly North/South running team. Faulk has shown that. However, they are better at blocking in-line than zone blocking. And, they move almost entirely away from the zone blocking schemes by the end of the year. Maroney, from what I've seen is actually better running behind an in-line blocking scheme than a zone scheme.

As for Jordan , you feel its better to keep someone who is just as oft-injured as Maroney, but has 7 more years on him. I think that's a dumb move and would hurt the team in the long run.

Last edited:
You really are a dolt. And you clearly don't read. No where have I ever said that Sanders wasn't replacable. Nor did I say he wasn't upgradeable. That is your own ignorance being put out there. If you actually had read some of the draft threads, you'd know that.

I

You don't know me at all. I give people what they've earned. People like Box, Deus, Mg, etc, they get respect because they've earned it. You haven't. All you've done is spew garbage and refuse to see beyond the end of your nose.

I can guarantee you that I go out and have usually no issues with people because they aren't the stupid ignorant ones who just mouth off and act like idiots the way you do. I've never started anything, but have held my own, proving to several that I'm no pushover.

I don't assume anything regarding your lack of skills in talent evaluation. You've proven time and again that yours leaves much to be desired.

As for Maroney, He's not in the last year of his contract. He's under contract through the 2010 season. The Patriots are NOT a strictly North/South running team. Faulk has shown that. However, they are better at blocking in-line than zone blocking. And, they move almost entirely away from the zone blocking schemes by the end of the year. Maroney, from what I've seen is actually better running behind an in-line blocking scheme than a zone scheme.

As for Jordan , you feel its better to keep someone who is just as oft-injured as Maroney, but has 7 more years on him. I think that's a dumb move and would hurt the team in the long run.

O.K. Simon you win. You are much better than I or anybody else who writes in. You happy now? I have never requested that you read my "garbage". If you see it's me, then go to the next thread. You won't hurt my feelings.

I am curious, why do people have to "earn your respect" when they write in this site? Do I miss something with you here critiquing everybody?

By the way, you do think Sanders is a rockstar safety so don't give me that. We have been fighting for two years on that deal.

Now let's discuss "mouth off". Let's not call the kettle black. As I have told you before on many occasions, I add what I can for fun and entertainment. I am not running for public office. I am wrong on many occasions but it is just someone else s opinion. I see how you blast other people so my "mouth off" is directed at your arrogance because you do not make it fun with your sarcasm against everyone else who makes a comment that they believe in here, whether I agree with them or not.

Check my posts, I never hate on anyone. I do not have the right to because these are all opinions here. I am an easy target. Take your shots at me but it shouldn't always be a personal affront to you if someone who makes comments on this site differs in their ideas than you Simon.

And the key word in you statement about your public appearances is "usually". Never started anything...... huh......? How many times a week did you get beat up in school?

Lighten up!

P.S. I should go to confession today because I said Maroney was on his last year, huh? I have also been pleased to read that you have "seen" that Maroney was a better back with in-line blocking.....Say wait a minute???Wasn't that an opinion???...Blaspheme!
DW Toys

you clearly dont understand, you must earn DaBruinz respect because he is a very important person. Hes an internet chat room poster.
ooooooooh. He might be cranky today because his mom bought the wrong kind of cheetos.

you clearly dont understand, you must earn DaBruinz respect because he is a very important person. Hes an internet chat room poster.
ooooooooh. He might be cranky today because his mom bought the wrong kind of cheetos.
Careful, you are gonna be on his poopoo list!
DW TOys

Not every player on a team can be a first tier player. The patriots have built their dynasty on players exactly like Sanders: better than average at their position, and extremely cheap.

An average starter from the end of the 4th round is a great pick.

You make valid points. Might disagree about the better than average assessment. Just an opinion on my feelings about Mr. Sanders. We need an upgrade. I do not believe I am not alone.
DW Toys

Careful, you are gonna be on his poopoo list!
DW TOys

Lifer's already there and on the ignore list. What is sad is that he makes you look like Albert Einstein instead of George Jefferson. His comments show how ignorant and pathetic he really is.

What's funny is that he sits there and beats his chest about respect, but refuses to give it to others at all. Then he makes dumbarse comments about people that have no basis in reality. I know he's been warned before about them. It will be interesting to see what happens if he keeps up with the stupid remarks.

1.) Sanders is a multi-year starter. Clearly, he was not praised one day and then cut the next, yet you've bagged on him seemingly every time you've made a post.

2.) In sports, as in life, pretty much everyone is replaceable.

I agree with everyone being replaceable. You are right. Good point.

Secondly, I did not bring up Sanders in my post, Simon did. This was supposed to be on Gonzales and we wind up here. You are right again, Sanders irritates me with his play. I do "bag" on him. I saw a few good plays this year but many bad too. I am not convinced. I have seen BB praise a player and a few days later they are gone.

Let's try this. Would you agree that he is in the lower third of all SS in the NFL that are starters? It's not all bad, because anyone is "blessed" to be a starter in the NFL, but he's just not the best player for the job in the Pats secondary in my unworthy opinion. Would you agree that the Pats will try an upgrade that in 2009?
DW Toys

...Let's try this. Would you agree that he is in the lower third of all SS in the NFL that are starters? It's not all bad, because anyone is "blessed" to be a starter in the NFL, but he's just not the best player for the job in the Pats secondary in my unworthy opinion. Would you agree that the Pats will try an upgrade that in 2009?
DW Toys

I've never taken the time to break down Sanders among safeties like that, because the Patriots don't really use him strictly as a strong safety. Having said that, I would imagine that the Patriots will take a long hard look at the safety position this offseason, since Sanders is a free agent and the team may decide to move in another direction for one of multiple reasons, only one being the talent level of Sanders. Of course, I also think the team will take a long look at corner this offseason, along with another ILB (SILB, especially) and at least one OLB.

That's just the way it works for the Patriots.

This is an average TE class and not many of them are stellar performers.. And the top ones have some pretty ugly blemishes..

Also, I guess BB saying that they didn't use the TEs as much in passing routes means nothing to you?

I think that if they can get an OT who can surpass Kaczur (I think LaVoir already has, but that is just my opinion) then the TEs wouldn't have to stay in and block as much.

We'll see down the road mark my words BB.

Lifer's already there and on the ignore list. What is sad is that he makes you look like Albert Einstein instead of George Jefferson. His comments show how ignorant and pathetic he really is.

What's funny is that he sits there and beats his chest about respect, but refuses to give it to others at all. Then he makes dumbarse comments about people that have no basis in reality. I know he's been warned before about them. It will be interesting to see what happens if he keeps up with the stupid remarks.

Oh No!!!! Im on DaBruinz poopoo list.

I have no idea what he is talking about anybody beating his chest for respect.
My point was that nobody needs to obtain respect from DaBruinz. He can go on calling people Dolts and Dumbarses and stamp his feet when people dont bow down to him.

Hes just an internet poster who takes himself much too seriously.

oh, btw, yes, Gonzalez would sure look nice as a target for any Patriots QB.

I've never taken the time to break down Sanders among safeties like that, because the Patriots don't really use him strictly as a strong safety. Having said that, I would imagine that the Patriots will take a long hard look at the safety position this offseason, since Sanders is a free agent and the team may decide to move in another direction for one of multiple reasons, only one being the talent level of Sanders. Of course, I also think the team will take a long look at corner this offseason, along with another ILB (SILB, especially) and at least one OLB.

That's just the way it works for the Patriots.
I agree with you.
DW Toys

Oh No!!!! Im on DaBruinz poopoo list.

I have no idea what he is talking about anybody beating his chest for respect.
My point was that nobody needs to obtain respect from DaBruinz. He can go on calling people Dolts and Dumbarses and stamp his feet when people dont bow down to him.

Hes just an internet poster who takes himself much too seriously.

oh, btw, yes, Gonzalez would sure look nice as a target for any Patriots QB.

I'd agree on this one.

Guys, your problem is that DaBruinz suffers fools lightly and possibly that you're too thin skinned. Don't like the crit? THen fire back with facts, instead of forming a girls pouting group.

my opinion on the gonzalz thing is that if he is at the right price e.g 3rd or 4th rounder (does that sound about right?) then surround brady while we have him with as much talent as we can so while we have him we can win more championships

Guys, your problem is that DaBruinz suffers fools lightly and possibly that you're too thin skinned. Don't like the crit? THen fire back with facts, instead of forming a girls pouting group.

It's been tried. It rarely works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back