PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots should trade for Tony Gonzalez

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I recall the Chiefs saw how much the Giants got when they fleeced New Orleans in that trade for Jeremy Shockey, and wanted the same (2nd and 5th) in return. Nobody was willing to pay that much, and no deal was made.

The difference now is that the Chiefs President and GM Carl Peterson is now gone. I don't think they've replaced him yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see whomever comes in move him.

As I recall the Chiefs saw how much the Giants got when they fleeced New Orleans in that trade for Jeremy Shockey, and wanted the same (2nd and 5th) in return. Nobody was willing to pay that much, and no deal was made.

The difference now is that the Chiefs President and GM Carl Peterson is now gone. I don't think they've replaced him yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see whomever comes in move him.

Yeah and if there's any credibility to the reports coming out of KC the last few days, "whomever comes in" just might be Scott Pioli!

you could say that the pats TE schemes have 'devolved' from what it once was most likely to the other bodies that were brought in (welker,moss) being so successful

This is why I now refer to Welker as WR/PR/TESK Wes Welker [TESK = Tight End Stat Killer]. :)

Belichick didn't seem to impressed with Gonzalez in the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago.

Belichick didn't seem to impressed with Gonzalez in the Pro Bowl a couple of years ago.

yeah that's what i heard. gonzalez was playing special teams and didn't block anyone. belichik told him that he ought to "try to f%%%% block someone next time." but in all fairness to gonzelez, the next time he really layed some some poor NFC guy out.

I would love to see Tony on this team, but I think it's best to just start fresh with someone new. Atleast, I can see that being Bill and crew's mindset anyways.

botown, you took the last portion of an entire sentence.

i think adding another body at TE could help, but i am happy with watson and thomas. they are not great, but with our offense, we do not need an all pro at the position. they do an adequate job at blocking and have shown the ability to make a few plays in the passing game.

what i was saying with my post, is that it is probably going to take more than a 4th rounder to acquire him, possibly a 2nd with the year he just had. i believe we would be better suited going with a different position (OL, DL, OLB, DB) with that pick and keep what we have at TE.

I see it this way....

(1) Keep Thomas and Watson + Add another position through the draft (possibly even adding a TE in the 2, 3, or 4th round).
v.
(2) Trade for a upper echelon TE

I would prefer to bring in some youth. I think trading for Gonzalez would be more of a fantasy football move. Hes 33/34 years old, and at that position, players have very seldomly played at such a high level as Gonzo has

for comparison, Shannon sharpe in his NFL years at ages 34 and 35 averaged about 720 yards and 5.5 TDs. Not bad, but im not giving up a 2nd round pick for a TE who will do that for 2 years then be gone.

Right, that I can agree with. I want Gonzalez but also hope it would be for a reasonable cost and not at the expense of growth on the roster. Like many other Pats fans, I was enamored with Watson from the moment he made that hustle play in Denver. I was hoping he could be the next Ben Coates. Then I hoped he could at least be the next Daniel Graham. I don't know. I just think for a guy our team spent a first round pick on, I would hope for more out of Watson. But we probably hang onto them because they're both affordable cap wise.

The Chiefs at first were asking for a 3rd... and they did get offers BUT Peterson got greedy and raised the asking price to a 2nd. That's why Gonzalez ended up staying in KC. He was about ready to pack his bags to goto Green Bay.

Welcome to the Official Website of Tony Gonzalez #88

This means that league-wide, no team considered Gonzales worth a 2nd. But several teams would be interested if the asking price were a 3rd. Maybe the Pats included, but the main team mentioned is Green Bay.

"Two NFL sources told the Journal Sentinel Tuesday that the Packers were in the running for Gonzalez and that they were offering a third-round draft choice. Another source said Wednesday that Gonzalez had approved a trade to the Packers and was prepared to make the move.

According to two of the sources, the Packers and another team were offering the same compensation for Gonzalez, but Peterson decided at the last minute that he wanted more than a third-round pick."

Last edited:
So that's why he's still in KC. Should of just taken it.

Don't mean to hijack this thread. How bout a baseball style trade. Clayton or someone on ESPN mentioned LJ to pats. How bout L.Maroney and our 2ND rounder for T.Gonzalez
and LJ?? I'd be willing to throw in a conditional pick in 10 if LJ outperforms Maroney
by a wide margin.

This is why I now refer to Welker as WR/PR/TESK Wes Welker [TESK = Tight End Stat Killer]. :)

Excellent point. Wes seems to be an ideal safety valve for both our QBs. Only one football being flung or run at a time.

I've been as critical as anyone on Watson but, he gets great separation and I know he has speed, so I'm assuming some sort of nagging leg injury. I mean he just has to break one once in a while otherwise.

My main beef is he is damn dainty for a tight end. He lets little cornerbacks out fight him in the end zone. This is just basic aggression...he needs some.

Still, plenty of talent at the position given our other weapons. A blocking tight end will be fine.

Don't mean to hijack this thread. How bout a baseball style trade. Clayton or someone on ESPN mentioned LJ to pats. How bout L.Maroney and our 2ND rounder for T.Gonzalez
and LJ?? I'd be willing to throw in a conditional pick in 10 if LJ outperforms Maroney
by a wide margin.

these are two players way past their prime getting a lot of money. i really think that our RB's are just as good, or almost as good as LJ. Gonzalez is a phenonemal player, there is no denying that. but he is 33ish now and TEs never last that long. Shannon Sharpe played 2 years after his 33rd b'day. he did play well but not well enough to justify trading a 2nd rounder for. as for maroney, i really think he can be good. when healthy, he has dominated. many people have ripped into what appeared to be fear going into the line this year when he played. maybe true, but im sure his shoulder was pretty beaten up. hes had a year off to get stronger and think about what its going to take for him to be a dominant back in this league. i still think he can be that

I'd rather fix our TE problem through the draft. Besides, I think we'll also see an improved Thomas in 09. We simply have too many people to resign, and not much cap space to go out, and sign people. TG doesnt strike me as someone who will play for a 1 yr vet min contract.

To be fair to Watson, BB said this year that he was being used mostly as a blocking TE to protect Cassel, at which he did a fairly decent job once we got most of the OL back

His main problem was his hands, he dropped some passes which whilst not dollies were at least catchable. With TB likely back next year I think the coaches work hard on his hands, much as they did with Merriweather

If we can get a better TE and 3rd WR in FA that doesnt break the bank (remember too if we tag Cassel we dont have a lot of space to play in FA) then great but our offense isnt a problem - its the defense we need to rebuild

Who would you rather have? Gonzalez or a Suggs/Asomugha? (I dont think we'll get any of them)

We'll rebuild the D in the draft and maybe pick up a TE or WR if they around as BPA in the second day

Alright, I think we can all agree that the Ben Watson experiment is over. He's developed into a good blocker, but with 4.4 speed, we were all hoping he could catch some passes as well. This looks like it's not going to be the case.

Trading for Tony Gonzalez would give us another huge threat over the middle (not that Welker isn't already). He's barely over 30, has had consecutive 1000+ yard seasons, and wants to win a championship. He also seems like a great person, from what I've heard of him, and I think he'd fit perfectly as a Patriot. As we all know, he wanted to leave the team midseason to go to a championship team. I wouldn't be disappointed if we traded Cassel for Tony straight up. IIRC, Tony's contract isn't even that bad, to top it off.

No thanks on Tony Gonzalez he's too old...they are many TE's available in the upcoming Draft who are already better than Ben Watson. Any TE we get on Day 2 could surpass Watson and Dave Thomas's production or lack their of.:snob:

This will not happen. no TE is going to catch many balls in our base 3 WR set as we always will have wes in the slot running routes and TE staying in to block. we just do not play 2 TE enough to release a TE in passing routes often.

watson played 76% of the offensive snaps 3 rd after moss and wes so i do not understand why he is a bust if he is playing so much. He drops balls but then again they never throw to him or get him to a running routes for games. He asked to block and block and once is a few games gets a throw .No wr/te is suddenly going to do something he is given a chance to do often.

Last edited:
This will not happen. no TE is going to catch many balls in our base 3 WR set as we always will have wes in the slot running routes and TE staying in to block. we just do not play 2 TE enough to release a TE in passing routes often.

watson played 76% of the offensive snaps 3 rd after moss and wes so i do not understand why he is a bust if he is playing so much. He drops balls but then again they never throw to him or get him to a running routes for games. He asked to block and block and once is a few games gets a throw .No wr/te is suddenly going to do something he is given a chance to do often.

Watson has improved in a major area, blocking. His skills have diminished in receiving. He leads the league in tipped passes intercepted and drops combined. He does NOT run good routes contrary to some (see Coach DaBruinz our official NFL expert and PatsFans.com Simon Cowell persona). He does not fight for a ball but worse than that, he does not come back to the QB when they are in trouble. This is a problem with many receivers so it is not just Watson.

Gonzales is an elite NFL player. The same members here who said the Pats do not need or should get Randy Moss are the same crowd saying "no thanks" to Gonzales. Admit you did!

Yes he is older. I would see if two more years would work. The Chiefs throw to him in double coverage all the time anyway and he still has 96 receptions.
He wants a ring. This is not happening for a few more years in K.C. Pioli or not.

This year our number 3 receiver had mixed reviews (mostly Gaffney). With Gonzales you could still run a two tight end attack, keep Welker and Moss on the field and flex out Gonzales. On third down I will ask you all a question. who would you want to throw the ball to a critical third down, Gaffney or Gonzales? Tony can actually block if you need him to.

You have to ask yourselves this. How much more dangerous would the Pats be with Tony Gonzales?

A third for Gonzales? Seems cheap money to me. We get an extra third from Samuel this year anyway a few spots higher. Samuel for Gonzales at least makes last years gaff of letting Samuel go more palatable on paper anyway.

I would like to see more trades in the NFL. I can see this scenario (and please Simon DaBruinz et.al, this is just for fun) Maroney (I see a bust here) and Cassel going with Pioli and McDaniel for a swap of first rounders (BB will drop down and pick up more choices, perhaps around 10 in round one because it worked last year and get an added second rounder) plus the Chiefs second rounder which is a top fifty pick, Gonzales and LJ. Worse case scenario because the CAP on LJ is large, swap LJ to the Broncos or Eagles for another top fifty pick. The Chiefs won't swap within their division. Or....LJ would be a great compliment to Westbrook and the bigger back that the Eagles could use.

Then we should resign Jordan and we could be decent at RB without the "oft injured" Maroney.

Summary:
Pats get-Gonzales, LJ, the Chiefs number two in the top fifty, move up the board in a round one swap of picks, drop back down in a second trade (10ish?)and get another number two for that move. Then swap LJ because his CAP is too high within the Pats RB rotation for the Broncos or Eagles second rounder (as example).

The total at the end of the draft day= a top ten first rounder and two added second rounders to go with ours and the Chargers second round picks (1+4 on day one of the draft or..... a top ten number one in day one and 12.5% of the 2009 NFL second round picks) +Gonzales.

FOR

Cassel+Maroney.....Anybody buy into this?

Gonzales helps protect Brady, not because of his blocking, but you can single cover Watson but somebody extra must account for Tony G. thus more coverage needed.

DW Toys

Uh, no. You think we draft, then give up omn every player that doesn't turn into a superstar after a few years? Put the test tube down, we have a football team to run and a salary cap to manage.

Seriously. Watson is a better than average TE, and at the end of the first round, thats a good pick. Take a look at the other TEs drafted in the last 10 years in the first round. Most of them are MUCH worse.

No thanks on Tony Gonzalez he's too old...they are many TE's available in the upcoming Draft who are already better than Ben Watson. Any TE we get on Day 2 could surpass Watson and Dave Thomas's production or lack their of.:snob:

This is an average TE class and not many of them are stellar performers.. And the top ones have some pretty ugly blemishes..

Also, I guess BB saying that they didn't use the TEs as much in passing routes means nothing to you?

I think that if they can get an OT who can surpass Kaczur (I think LaVoir already has, but that is just my opinion) then the TEs wouldn't have to stay in and block as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back