PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots-Seahawks Still Talking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys:

Can we stop with the "disgruntled receiver" nonsense?

I don't care how "disgruntled" the little weasel is. He is NOT going to pay the Patriots half a million dollars to sit out 10 games and play the second half of the season for free.

All he has done is find out that the Patriots had the market pegged to begin with: about $6 million a year. He can huff and puff all he wants. But, the little weasel has run out of options. Here's his choice:

a) Write a check to the Patriots for $500,000, sit out 10 games, and get franchised next spring.

b) Report to camp, play this season for $600,000 after fines, and get franchised next spring.

c) Sign an extension for the duration of his choosing for $6 million a year (the current average of the top-5 highest paid receivers in the NFL, pocket an eight-figure signing bonus, and start looking for another Super Bowl ring.

Now, I firmly believe the little weasel is dumber than a sack of flour, but even Forrest Gump could figure those choices out.

Last edited:
patsox23 said:
All of this said, losing Deion Branch is a big blow. At this point, Deion Branch is the first Patriot for whom I would feel no sympathy if he got injured, even if he were still a Patriot.

That’s a bit extreme….don’t you think? Branch runs great routes, has great hands, is lightning fast, and is one of the best in YAC in the league. It’s business, don’t take it personally. The best possible scenario for the Pats is for them to reach an agreement with him.

RayClay said:
Seattles? You know the bonuses, guaranteed money etc.?

If they want him they should step up to the plate and give us a #1 plus.

He's under contract you know.:rolleyes:

Not for nothing, but everyone's favorite Globe reporter said Seattle never made an actual trade offer with the Pats. They agreed on financial terms and it stopped there...

BelichickFan said:
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=155531

"A source in Seattle said the Seahawks believe they’re very much in the mix and that the Patriots told them, “They’re going to continue to pursue this thing.†. . . Sources say the Pats have backed off requests for two first-round picks and would accept a first-round pick and a middle-round pick. Though the Seahawks didn’t offer higher than a second-round pick, a source they said they would be willing to trade their first-round pick, which would likely be low in the draft anyway."

Say what you want about Tomase, he's been ahead of the curve on a few things recently.

Yes he has. For those of you that don't like real news, however, Mike Reiss managed to write a whole meaningless game story about the two snaps Troy Brown played at quarterback. Say what you want about me but your boy better step up his game or the Globe is going to start asking him why the Herald has all the breaking news while he's writing about Hank Poteat.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Yes he has. For those of you that don't like real news, however, Mike Reiss managed to write a whole meaningless game story about the two snaps Troy Brown played at quarterback. Say what you want about me but your boy better step up his game or the Globe is going to start asking him why the Herald has all the breaking news while he's writing about Hank Poteat.
Does your stomach bother you ? There must be some underlying cause for all of the bile and acid that you spew on the board.

I'm Ron Borges? said:
what is it to say that tomase is not bluffing..he doesnt quote anyone specific other than "sources"...not very difficult to make up that story ..like felger made up a few yrs back with ted washington coming back.

I'm Ron Borges? said:

Shouldn't you be on the phone kissing Chayut's ass to get a "scoop"?:rolleyes:

pats-blue said:
Where in "post #2" does it give Engram's age? You got Deions age in thier but no Engram...you could have just typed the age if you knew it would have taken less time than writing what you did, it actually was a decent question.
Or you could have just typed "Bobby Engram" into google and gotten the answer yourself in less time than it took you to post your question here.

But you are correct that I did not list his age in post #2. It was in another post. He is 33.

zoostation said:
That’s a bit extreme….don’t you think? Branch runs great routes, has great hands, is lightning fast, and is one of the best in YAC in the league. It’s business, don’t take it personally. The best possible scenario for the Pats is for them to reach an agreement with him.

Actually Branch ranked 25th in YAC last season. Good, yes, but not one of the best IMO.

Murphys95 said:
Actually Branch ranked 25th in YAC last season. Good, yes, but not one of the best IMO.
That's an interesting point.

But it is also an interesting revisit of our ongoing discussion about the full implication of stats. For example, one way to look at this stat is that with Brady's ability to thread the ball into tight coverage, many of Branch's receptions will be right under the nose of DBs for a quick tackle. Stats are interesting aren't they.

Murphys95 said:

Where did you get that stat? I have looked that up before but couldn't find it.

Right now with the irreconsilable differences betweent the Pats and Branch, this would work.

And considering the peding grievence, I am certainl both sides are trying to work fast!

I'm Ron Borges? said:
Boy, that Borges article sure was popular over on the Globe message board/forum "discuss this article" area.
Almost as popular as Branch's agent. lol

PlattsFan said:
Bobby Engram? No thanks. I mean, he's better than nothing, but he's a JAG at this point among NFL wide receivers. We'd just be taking him off of Seattle's books. I don't think he has much value in a trade discussion.

This sucks. WR is an over-rated position, but the Pats corps without Branch just isn't very good. Maybe it could be OK if Childress and Jackson beat the odds and are good this year, but ... hope is not a plan. And, I love Troy, but it's not 2001.

Although, looking on the bright side, if Branch goes to Seattle, my fantasy team is a monster (I got Branch with a late-round pick, and I picked Watson with my last pick of the draft to manage the risk). Ironically, every year in this decade either the Patriots have won the SB or I won my league ... so everyone root against me.
Actually Engram's production was about 80% of Branch's last year, which makes up a lot of what we lost and is a heck of a lot better than whoever our #5 would be otherwise. And no offense but I don't think most of us give a rats ass about your fantasy team.

Read this stuff this AM, this may be the best resolution, neither party wants to go before an aribtrator, particularly as it is binding. Never know the outcome and it could be bad for either party, time to get this thing moving we are 8 days away from opening day, know these guys do well with distraction, but has to have taken its toll.

PromisedLand said:
Or you could have just typed "Bobby Engram" into google and gotten the answer yourself in less time than it took you to post your question here.

But you are correct that I did not list his age in post #2. It was in another post. He is 33.

Yeah but your condesending response to the poster came first so I shouldn't have to google it. I understand they could google it but your response actually deserved the response I gave since you spouted off and it wasn't backed up. I apprecitate post #2, but your post referring to your post was not called for considering the answer was NOT in post #2.

RayClay said:
It seems ugly, but it's just an a-hole agent.

Branch hasn't said anything so he can still say I let my agent handle it.
Deion is the puppeteer.

Ok, since this is all wild speculation anyway, lets forget about Engram. What about Branch for Lofa Tatupu? Maybe both sides throw in draft picks to smooth over differences in valuation. Can anyone here really say they wouldn't be thrilled with Tatupu on our defense? We all know Seau is here for a year, maybe a couple tops. Bruschi has to retire someday. I'm not worried about our LB's this year, but if we could swing a deal for Tatupu LB would immediately become a real strength not only this year but into the future as well.

Well, if Seattle was happy to take two first round picks when they sent Galloway to Dallas, they should have no problem understanding why the Patriots want two first round picks for Branch. Can't have it both ways, Seahawk fans.

PromisedLand said:
Actually Engram's production was about 80% of Branch's last year, which makes up a lot of what we lost and is a heck of a lot better than whoever our #5 would be otherwise. And no offense but I don't think most of us give a rats ass about your fantasy team.
Geez, can't a guy have a two sentence digression around here? It's just a personal throw-away statement at the end of a post ... relax.

As for the main point, production isn't the best barometer to follow, and, even so, 20% is a pretty substantial difference, considering the differences in the situations. Bobby Engram's production was his best by a good amount since the 90s, and it still falls in that 750-800 yard range which is what average receivers can get in a year in the right situation if things break their way. He had a pretty good number of catches, but he is what he is, an aging receiver who had a good year but can't stretch a defense. Going by his recent history, he's more likely to get 600 yards than 770. Like I said, he's better than nothing, but he's just a run-of-the-mill WR right now. He'd be a body to fill out the 5 WRs, but he wouldn't add much to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back