PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots scouting report on Manziel leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the NFL is going to provide Manziel with a rude awakening, he relies solely upon his athletic ability and at the QB position in the NFL that is simply not enough, as Tebow found out.
Oh yeah. He's going to have to learn to go through his progressions in the pocket and read the defense. If he tries to run like he did in college, he's a dead man walking.

If pressed, I'd say that he's emotionally like Phillip Rivers and plays like Tony Romo.

Neither is gonna get you deep into the playoffs.

Rivers is awesome, I don't know what you're talking about.

Rivers, despite his skills, tends to exhibit the same sort of hot-headed bahaviour that Manziel is noted for. Rivers has certainly calmed down some, but several times last year he reverted to his red-faced, spittle-flecked, screaming and pretty much unprofessional attitude on both the field and the sideline.

Rivers is a solid QB, but that's more of a reflection of the past few years where he has grown into a better player, being less-rattled on the field than in the past. Yet, he hasn't been able to reach that upper-tier performance level (IMHO) because he hasn't developed the maturity of character and ability to control his emotions during a game, either on the field or the sideline.

Manziel is a talented buffoon, and his demeanor and mouth remind me oh so much of a younf Phillip Rivers, before HIS rude introduction to the NFL.

The other part of my comment was meant to infer that Manziel has the decision-making abilities of Tony Romo. Good enough, but again, never going to get anyone to the big dance.

He's the Lebanese Mark Sanchez....hummus a tune, Johnny, you'll be selling felafels from a street cart in five years.

He's the Lebanese Mark Sanchez....hummus a tune, Johnny, you'll be selling felafels from a street cart in five years.

I doubt that. Take a look at his family's net worth. He's financially set regardless of whether he makes it in the NFL or not.

I used to hate Rivers but I've come to respect him as an intensely emotional guy with a burning desire to win as well as a fiercely gutsy warrior who plays through pain. Qualities we admire in anyone on our team but that are sometimes hard to take in a rival. It's why others hate Brady.

Very strange comparison. Whatever you think of Rivers as a player (tough competitor, hothead) he's a very solid guy off the field -- the last person you'd see doing stupid stunts to impress his buddies in a nightclub.

I doubt that. Take a look at his family's net worth. He's financially set regardless of whether he makes it in the NFL or not.

OK..a STRING of felafel stands and a fleet of felafel trucks....I don't care how much money his family has, he's got neo-Buffumbler written all over his smiling jackazz face.

OK..a STRING of felafel stands and a fleet of felafel trucks....I don't care how much money his family has, he's got neo-Buffumbler written all over his smiling jackazz face.

I think you're on to something there..... :D

Philip Rivers is an excellent role model who carries himself on and off the field in such an excellent way. Philip never curses out the refs or the players. He just speaks out about different issues in different games. I am sure Philip is outspoken and intense, but I don't think he does so in a foul or inappropriate manner.

In the video Philip talks to CBN about his faith,family,and on the field intensity

My take on the situation with him is this: I think Philip just loves the sport and is passionate about it. He calls out things/people in the game in certain situations. Overall, I have no issue with Philip.
Check out this article on Philip http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/catholic-quarterback-philip-rivers-passes-on-the-faith/. The title of that article is Catholic QB passes on the faith.

As far as Johnny Manziel best of luck to him!

I used to hate Rivers but I've come to respect him as an intensely emotional guy with a burning desire to win as well as a fiercely gutsy warrior who plays through pain. Qualities we admire in anyone on our team but that are sometimes hard to take in a rival. It's why others hate Brady.

I definitely agree with you, PWP. I think you are spot-on. On the football field, it's easy to dislike Rivers at first glance, but he has a proven reputation for being a pretty decent guy.

Philip Rivers is an excellent role model who carries himself on and off the field in such an excellent way. Philip never curses out the refs or the players. He just speaks out about different issues in different games. I am sure Philip is outspoken and intense, but I don't think he does so in a foul or inappropriate manner.

In the video Philip talks to CBN about his faith,family,and on the field intensity

My take on the situation with him is this: I think Philip just loves the sport and is passionate about it. He calls out things/people in the game in certain situations. Overall, I have no issue with Philip.
Check out this article on Philip http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/catholic-quarterback-philip-rivers-passes-on-the-faith/. The title of that article is Catholic QB passes on the faith.

As far as Johnny Manziel best of luck to him!

Regardless of personal religious belief, I think Philip Rivers has shown the world that he's a pretty good guy, who just plays hard and is a bit outspoken on the football field.

As a whole, I agree with you. He comes off like a spoiled punk brat, and worse off--he kind of even seems proud of that. How many articles have we seen or read where his coaches, former teammates etc have suggested those kinds of negative qualities from him? Even his dad in the Sports Illustrated article wasn't afraid of letting the world know his concerns about his elitist attitude and drinking habits.

That said, you never know how his positives may carry over on the football field in certain ways. It will be interesting to see how close the Patriots scouting report was, or if that may have enabled some change in him on at least some levels. As far as the ****iness, etc--I don't ever think that's going to change, which will make an easy target for him if/when he does fail.

I never got how people can be so insanely ****y when they are only a second or two away from catastrophe at any given moment, but then again, I'm more reserved than most.

I just don't like "Jumpy punks", Supa....he's another in an increasingly long line of "look at me!! I'm "YAY!" boy the jumpy punk star!!!! I,I,I,I,me,me,me,me!!"..I cannot WAIT to see the clips of his first SMASHING by a DE or blitzing backer, and you know his O line teammates will let a player take a run at him if he keeps playing his prima donna starboy role before he's proved ONE goddamned thing on an NFL field.

I definitely agree with you, PWP. I think you are spot-on. On the football field, it's easy to dislike Rivers at first glance, but he has a proven reputation for being a pretty decent guy.

Regardless of personal religious belief, I think Philip Rivers has shown the world that he's a pretty good guy, who just plays hard and is a bit outspoken on the football field.

I think it is great that Philip is outspoken about his faith! In regards to Philip, his faith goes deep into who he is a a person. Thus, that is what you will get when going into the topic of Philip Rivers on top of my opinion that he is an excellent QB. If some don't share his beliefs that is fine ,but they shouldn't mind if he or anyone of the faith is outspoken about it. Nonetheless, some people who are of the faith, are outspoken about it because it is nothing to be ashamed of.

Last edited:
I just don't like "Jumpy punks", Supa....he's another in an increasingly long line of "look at me!! I'm "YAY!" boy the jumpy punk star!!!! I,I,I,I,me,me,me,me!!"..I cannot WAIT to see the clips of his first SMASHING by a DE or blitzing backer, and you know his O line teammates will let a player take a run at him if he keeps playing his prima donna starboy role before he's proved ONE goddamned thing on an NFL field.

I hear ya. Painting that kind of target on your back is rarely a good thing, especially when you're getting chased around 6x a year by the likes of Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals LBs!

Rivers got a bad rep from his interaction w/ Cutler back in 2005? 2006? where they caught him screaming at Cutler. At this point we know Cutler is a douche and the story back then that it was Cutler who started the **** talking now checks out pretty well.

If you think Rivers is going to be doing stupid **** at a nightclub, half-assing it during practice or not giving his all you've got the guy pegged wrong.

If you don't like his antics on the field then you can't give Brady a pass for the same stuff. He throws tantrums and cleats dudes in the side. I love Brady and I love Rivers so IDC, but what's good for the goose is good for the gander, etc.

I think it is great that Philip is outspoken about his faith! In regards to Philip, his faith goes deep into who he is a a person. Nonetheless, some people who are of the faith, are outspoken about it because it is nothing to be ashamed of.

And faith takes many forms, some that liberate, others that imprison. His particular articulation I find sad.

Faith is not some hard, unchanging thing you cling to through the vicissitudes of life. Those who try to make it into this are destined to become brittle, shatterable creatures. Faith never grows harder, never so deviates from it nature and becomes actually destructive, than in the person who refused to admit that faith is change…is the mutable and messy process of our lives rather than any fixed, mental product….omnipotent, eternal, omniscient – what in the world do these rotten words really mean? Are we able to imagine such attributes, much less perceive them? I don’t think so.

Christian Wiman
My Bright Abyss

I've never read a Patriots internal scouting report (or any team's for that matter) so take this for the little it might be worth, but the wording just didn't feel right; not to mention that the Patriots are so buttoned-down it's hard to imagine that one of the small handful of people with access to the report would leak it.

To me, It read more like the fantasy of a knowledgeable, but resentful fan with too much time on his hands, who has fixated on Manziel. I doubt very much that some of the "character" comments would ever be put in writing. The stuff about the "Player Future" just doesn't ring true.

To me, It read more like the fantasy of a knowledgeable, but resentful fan with too much time on his hands, who has fixated on Manziel. .

Not buying your analysis because I have never seen a Pats fan resentfully fixated on a player

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes