PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Rookie TE Lee Smith's Contract Rejected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they needed to get a deal done, and there were certainly owners that dug in their heals on certain issues. Players are rarely cut at the end of a season like that, and a few teams did a lot of that cutting. Although we can't say with certainy, this certainly looks planned by a small group of owners. If you truly believe something like that doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth of owners who have been fiscally responsible.....

I'm a little hungry, could you put some words into my mouth too?

What do you mean that "players rarely get cut at the end of a season like that"?? Players have gotten cut every year prior to the start of free agency. It happens pretty regularly.. That is not something that is new.

Because they needed to get a deal done, and there were certainly owners that dug in their heals on certain issues. Players are rarely cut at the end of a season like that, and a few teams did a lot of that cutting. Although we can't say with certainy, this certainly looks planned by a small group of owners. If you truly believe something like that doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth of owners who have been fiscally responsible.....

I'm a little hungry, could you put some words into my mouth too?
Clearing the cap deadweight is to the advantage of pretty much every franchise, and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

Clearing the deadweight probably gave the players union another $100M. There's no conspiracy. Its got nothing to do with goodell and the jets.

What do you mean that "players rarely get cut at the end of a season like that"?? Players have gotten cut every year prior to the start of free agency. It happens pretty regularly.. That is not something that is new.

Yes, at the start of free agency.... which had not started.

Clearing the cap deadweight is to the advantage of pretty much every franchise, and EVERY SINGLE PLAYER.

Clearing the deadweight probably gave the players union another $100M. There's no conspiracy. Its got nothing to do with goodell and the jets.

This particular rule favors some teams much more heavily than others. There were several teams that way overspent during the uncapped year, and this essentially gave them a get out of jail free card. Can you really not see this?

Prior to the start != at the start.

Players get cut before free agency all the time. Teams cut guys at that time specifically because the cap hits fall at a different time. Its not unusual at all.

Prior to the start != at the start.

Players get cut before free agency all the time. Teams cut guys at that time specifically because the cap hits fall at a different time. Its not unusual at all.

So teams usually dump 5 or 6 highly paid players at the end of February? Interesting.

This particular rule favors some teams much more heavily than others. There were several teams that way overspent during the uncapped year, and this essentially gave them a get out of jail free card. Can you really not see this?

Of course some teams benefitted more than others.

What didn't happen is a Jets-Goodell conspiracy, which some people around here are stupid enough to believe.

I'd be willing to bet a significant amount that the PLAYERS UNION was behind the cap wipe. They're the ones who benefit from it the most.

The owners all voted on this. SO either they, as a whole, like the idea of clearing old cap deadweight, or there's some sort of Jet's conspiracy that all of the owners are involved in.

If you think its a conspiracy to help the jets, explain how the rest of the owners agreed to it.

I did 10 char

No. At the END of the season, which was upon us at the time since the SB was over. Just because you refuse to understand that doesn't change it.

So teams usually dump 5 or 6 highly paid players at the end of February? Interesting.

Willie McGinest says "HI". He's one that immediately comes to mind..

I hope he makes the squad. I knew he was a special talent and most laughed at my assessment. I sense Crumps replacement will be Lee Smith this season. We have plenty of veterans:) and his loss will be a necessary loss.

No disrespect, but this appears to be your theme in almost every thread I've read today. At some point, you either predicted something or made some other assertion that people laughed at, and then you turned out right or were validated in some way.

Maybe you should work for the Pats FO or something . . . just sayin.

Willie McGinnest is 5 or 6 players?!?!?

Willie McGinest is an example of a player who was released at the end of the season and before the start of free agency.

Marcus Stroud is another player who was released at the end of the year.

All you have to do is actually go and look at the transaction logs to see that MANY players are released at that time in a normal season.

Unlike you, I don't see some BS conspiracy because it wasn't just the Jets who cut people at the end of the season. Other teams did s well..

.:ditto:..

BTW, it's foolish of you to say that I don't understand when I understand just fine. You're the one who hasn't shown he understands.

Do they? I don't follow NHL and MLB very closely.

They do. They've rejected really long deals.
The NHL had a few really long contracts like this one before they started clamping down and rejecting ontracts
The Longest Contracts In the NHL

For example, why not offer someone a contract like the following:
100 years, 20 mil signing bonus
1 mil/year salary years 1-3
20 mil/year salarys 4-100

You've effectively got a 3 year 23 mil contract (reasonable), except the cap hit will be just 1.2 mil for years 1-3 and then .2 mil for the next 97 years (which if you did with all your players would be a great strategy since the cap number grows -- so the .2 million will be little impact down the line.

Last edited:
They do. They've rejected really long deals.
The NHL had a few really long contracts like this one before they started clamping down and rejecting ontracts
The Longest Contracts In the NHL

For example, why not offer someone a contract like the following:
100 years, 20 mil signing bonus
1 mil/year salary years 1-3
20 mil/year salarys 4-100

You've effectively got a 3 year 23 mil contract (reasonable), except the cap hit will be just 1.2 mil for years 1-3 and then .2 mil for the next 97 years (which if you did with all your players would be a great strategy since the cap number grows -- so the .2 million will be little impact down the line.

The CBA specifically limits how far you can spread out signing bonuses; I think it was six or seven years in the old CBA.

It is standard practice. The league year and free agency starts in March so teams dump high priced players in February to clear space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back