Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots Rookie Pool: $4.34 million

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by DefenseRules, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseRules

DefenseRules Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 2 / -1

#12 Jersey

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  2. Robdude

Robdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Rookie Pool

To break away from spygate for a moment, I am wondering if someone can help me. Accroding to Reiss the Pats have a rookie pool of $4.34million to use to pay their rokies (drafted and undrafted).

Besides the obvious what is a rookie pool? Or maybe, why does a team have one? Why can't they just spend money up to their cap on rookies. I am not colear ono why the NFL tells each team how much they can spend on rookies and why teams can spend different amounts? I know some teams will have to spend more money (Chiefs) but isn't that the teams business to figure out their cap and determine how much they spend opn Rookies?
  3. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +429 / 5 / -5

Re: Rookie Pool

I can't explain the why, but I can tell you the what: each slot in the draft is assigned a certain dollar value (e.g., $4M for pick one, $3.8M for pick two, etc., all the way to something like $350K for Mr. Irrelevant). A team's rookie cap is simply the sum of those slot values (BTW--the CBA forbids the league and teams from disclosing these values).

Also, to be clear, the rookie cap does not include the base salaries for UDFAs (e.g., Dragosavich, Gutierrez, etc.), but it does include any amounts above the base (e.g., they gave Gutierrez a $10K bonus over two years, so $5K of that bonus counted towards the rookie cap).
  4. Robdude

Robdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Re: Rookie Pool

Thanks CT that helps. I still do not see the point. If someone wants to manage their salary cap badly that is their problem to me
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.