Patriots; rookie cap allotment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miguel

Patriots Salary Cap Guru
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Pats can spend no more than $4,617,429 on their 2006 draft picks.

As it stands right now, only the 3 Day 1 picks will displace someone from the Top 51 list so the net impact of signing the 10 draft picks will be much less than $4,617,429 since only the prorated signing bonus amount for the seven Day 2 picks will hit the cap.

Good to know. I still expect Donnie Edwards to be suiting up for the Pats this year.

dryheat44 said:
Good to know. I still expect Donnie Edwards to be suiting up for the Pats this year.

If that happens it would sure up our only ? on defense, IMO. The only ?'s remaining would be the WR position (hopefully Caldwell and Jackson get it done) and Place Kicker. Other then that this team is as solid as you can ask for (well, maybe Ty Law).

Miguel said:

As it stands right now, only the 3 Day 1 picks will displace someone from the Top 51 list so the net impact of signing the 10 draft picks will be much less than $4,617,429 since only the prorated signing bonus amount for the seven Day 2 picks will hit the cap.
With 17M under the cap and 4.62M max allocated to rookies and 6.66M allocated to Seymour. What are the minimum and maximum amounts available to spend in FA?
(I mean is the min salary cap 93M? so we have between ?dollars and ?dollars to invest in FA?)

mgcolby said:
If that happens it would sure up our only ? on defense, IMO. The only ?'s remaining would be the WR position (hopefully Caldwell and Jackson get it done) and Place Kicker. Other then that this team is as solid as you can ask for (well, maybe Ty Law).

My only uneasiness is with LB. I am comfortable with the DBs we have now... Ty Law would be nice, but not necessary.

I think we are fine at WR, especially given the TEs we have.

I don't think we are worse off than the average team at K. We had to know that no one was going to give us the warm fuzzy like Adam, but we got a good rookie kicker and a decent vet kicker. We are fine.

Miguel said:

Do you mean the 3 Day 1 picks will replace 3 of the Top 51? Or ONE of the 3 will replace one of the 51

Big_Os_Hometown said:
Do you mean the 3 Day 1 picks will replace 3 of the Top 51? Or ONE of the 3 will replace one of the 51

I meant the 3 Day 1 picks but it is likely by mid-July that it will be only two (Maroney and Jackson).

jct said:
With 17M under the cap and 4.62M max allocated to rookies

That is the gross amount. The net is likely to be in the $1.5 to $2 million range.

Miguel - wondering if, in this new cap era and all, you have a feel for what Chad Jackson's contract will be for, and might want to expand on these other issues

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

1. The rookie signing cap affects this year's contracts only - teams can stretch out the remainder of the contracts in later years regardless of this year's cap.

2. By drafting Jackson in the 2nd round rather than the 1st, the Patriots are not bound by the 4 year limit on his rookie contract (I'm guessing they try to get Jackson to sign a 6 year deal, no?)

3. Assuming Jackson works out as a #2 WR (and that's always a question with rookies) - what is Jackson's cap hit and contract looking like compared to say, David Givens.

My ultimate point here is that, assuming Jackson is as good as BB & Co. believe, we've got a MONSTER net cap savings over the next 5-6 years ... and that savings can go to address other needs and help keep the dynasty going.

Donnie Edwards Will Not Be A Patriot Because He Is Way Too Small And Old. We Go For Youth Now A Days And A Guy Who Is More Than 227 Pounds

Remix 6 said:
Donnie Edwards Will Not Be A Patriot Because He Is Way Too Small And Old. We Go For Youth Now A Days And A Guy Who Is More Than 227 Pounds

He is 33 and has had over 100 tackles a year since his 2nd year. He played in the AFC West, that is not exactly a division isolated from the running game. Look at his production he would be a perfect Patriot!

mgcolby said:
He is 33 and has had over 100 tackles a year since his 2nd year. He played in the AFC West, that is not exactly a division isolated from the running game. Look at his production he would be a perfect Patriot!
We also need to remember that he played in the 3-4 under phillips, so he has shown the ability that he has the potential to play in our scheme if we want him.

donnie would be a welcome addition to the pats.

JoeSixPat said:
Miguel - wondering if, in this new cap era and all, you have a feel for what Chad Jackson's contract will be for, and might want to expand on these other issues

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

1. The rookie signing cap affects this year's contracts only - teams can stretch out the remainder of the contracts in later years regardless of this year's cap.

2. By drafting Jackson in the 2nd round rather than the 1st, the Patriots are not bound by the 4 year limit on his rookie contract (I'm guessing they try to get Jackson to sign a 6 year deal, no?)

3. Assuming Jackson works out as a #2 WR (and that's always a question with rookies) - what is Jackson's cap hit and contract looking like compared to say, David Givens.

My ultimate point here is that, assuming Jackson is as good as BB & Co. believe, we've got a MONSTER net cap savings over the next 5-6 years ... and that savings can go to address other needs and help keep the dynasty going.

Joe - no player drafted in rounds 2-7 may be signed to a deal longer than 4 years under the new CBA. First rounders can be signed for 5 years and the top 16 picks can be signed for 6 (although there is only 5 years available for amortization in 2006).

Jackson's contract and cap hit will pretty much look like what player 35 and player 37 get regardless of position since rookie contracts are slotted. That is why they will tend to sign almost in domino effect according to draft order. Chad may get some performance incentives written in as Deion Branch did that will increase his earnings potential in year 4 based on just how well he develops. But perhaps not in the potential $3M range Deion got since he signed a 5 year deal.

Usually Miguel posts some guesstimates on the day 1 picks contracts based on what the player drafted in that slot last year got. It will be harder to guesstimate this year because of the cap bump, new limits on length of deal and current limit on amortization. Last year we drafted Mankins at 32 and he got a 5 year $6.4M deal. Jackson was drafted at 36 this year.

Obviously Jackson will get substantially more than Givens got in his 3 year deal as a 7th rounder, but nothing remotely approaching what Givens just got as a FA if that is what what you're driving at. And like Givens he will be a FA after 4 years (albeit without ever being a RFA as Givens was last year in his 4th season).

dryheat44 said:
Ive had that feeling for quite awhile....I thinking about seeing someone about it:eek:

Remix 6 said:
Donnie Edwards Will Not Be A Patriot Because He Is Way Too Small And Old.
You are thinking of my grandfather....He hits hard but has a bad work ethic but he is tight

MoLewisrocks said:
Obviously Jackson will get substantially more than Givens got in his 3 year deal as a 7th rounder, but nothing remotely approaching what Givens just got as a FA if that is what what you're driving at. And like Givens he will be a FA after 4 years (albeit without ever being a RFA as Givens was last year in his 4th season).

Wait are you saying that there will be no longer RFAs starting with the 2006 draft? Getting Jackson for only 4 years is fine, but don't the Pats get at least top offer a year or 2 after that? And if another team signs they would get compensated a draft pick depending on tender?

In all, there were eight teams this year that amassed 10 or more selections each and, of that group, only the New England Patriots and Tampa Bay Bucs ranked outside of the top 10 in rookie allocation funds.

could this hurt us from being able to sign some of our mid round guys?

MoLewisrocks said:

Thanks for all the clarifying information Mo...

My ultimate comparison is not between Jackson's rookie contract and Givens rookie contract - but between Jackson's rookie contract and Givens FA contract.

I'm guessing that the Patriots likely addressed their #2 WR need by spending subtantially less than the $5 mil a year Givens got from the Titans

That's significant savings and makes a significant difference in what can be spent elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes