PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots reportedly interested in Chargers DE Vaughn Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never even heard of this guy.

and with the money the Patriots saved on Wes Welker and Tom Brady......

He was drafted by the Chargers in the fourth round of the 2009 NFL Draft, the first Canadian university football player drafted by an NFL team as an underclassman. He played university football at the University of Western Ontario.

Well, he has a claim to fame.

6'4" 327lbs so he would be a DT in NE I'd imagine.

3 sacks and a forced fumble since he was drafted.

They do need DT help.

Another pony...albeit a very big pony

Why not? Gotta get to 90 bodies for preseason somehow, might as well add some competition to the middle.

They do need DT help.

I agree with that. Unfortunately, Vaughn Martin has been a little disappointing the past couple years. A change of scenery might be what he needs, however. He has flashed some talent at times.

If I was BB, I would look at Tommy Kelly when the Raiders get around to releasing him. Has a big contract that he has failed to live up to, but BB always spoke highly of him and he certainly has the talent to make an impact. If he would come in on a prove it deal, he would be the way I would go.

Last edited:
and with the money the Patriots saved on Wes Welker and Tom Brady......

Is this going to be your deafult response to every article that says the Patriots are interested in a player that isn't Larry Fitzgerald or Darrelle Revis? ************...

Noticed his 40 time for a 330 lb guy was impressive, so went to his WIKI. Much respect to poster Steve Kiner if he has direct knowledge, but this guys combination of size/speed/smarts seems to indicate diamond in the rough possibilities...

Pre-draft

Martin was not invited to the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine, but impressed several pro scouts in the spring of 2009 when he participated at the University of Michigan's Pro Day, where he ran a 4.96 second 40 yard dash at 330 pounds. He also set the 2009 draft class bench press record, lifting 225 pounds 44 times.[2]
San Diego Chargers

Martin became the first CIS football player drafted as an underclassman when he was picked in the fourth round, 113th overall, by the San Diego Chargers in the 2009 NFL Draft. Martin signed a four-year contract with the Chargers in July 2009.[3] The Chargers hope to have Martin anchor the right side of the defensive line some day. Athletic and intelligent—he scored an impressive 38 on the NFL's Wonderlic Test—scouts also report that he has the bulk, strength, and agility to become a nose tackle like Jamal Williams.[4] He recorded his first career sack on November 22, 2010, against the Denver Broncos, sacking quarterback Kyle Orton.

Vaughn Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A quick news scan reveals SD wants to keep him and a few teams besides the Patriots are interested. Not a star, but not available for nothing either.

Another pony...albeit a very big pony

Where have I heard someone refer to players the Patriots bring in as ponies? Oh ya Douche and Squeaky.

You must have been really upset when you tuned in yesterday and it was Bertrand and Wiggins.

Here is Scout Inc's take on him:

Martin is a good-sized defensive end who brings excellent physical skills to the position but is still developing. He has a limited background and still needs work on his techniques and reading skills. He is inconsistent at locating the level of the ball and feeling pressure, and although he is doing a better job of squeezing plays down, he still runs around blocks too often. He is very quick off the ball and has learned to keep his knees bent and pad level down as he leverages blockers. He has come a long way on using his hands to defeat and shed blockers. He missed some time in 2012 with a groin injury but appears to be developing into a good starter.

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN

As long as he's no relation whatsoever to 2002 Patriot Steve Martin, I'm good

Sounds like he would be competition for Love, Deadrick, Francis and Armstead. With him or love probably being on the top.

This sounds like a good move if not to pricey and more importantly not in place of a pass rusher.

Noticed his 40 time for a 330 lb guy was impressive, so went to his WIKI. Much respect to poster Steve Kiner if he has direct knowledge, but this guys combination of size/speed/smarts seems to indicate diamond in the rough possibilities...

Vaughn Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ray, I agree he is a diamond in the rough. For various reasons, I have followed the AFC West fairly closely the past few years. IMO, the Chargers thought they got a steal when they selected Martin in the 4th round. Going by just measurable, he appeared to be an unbelievable prospect and he flashes his physical talent at times. I believe the Chargers want him back, but won't go overboard on a contract to keep him. I know the Pats are running more 4-3 now but I believe Martin could play in both a 3-4 or a 4-3. In a 3-4, he can play DE and some NT and in the 4-3 he would be DT. He is very strong against the run but despite his quickness, he gets very little pressure as a pass rusher. I don't know if he just needs to work on technique or what it is. Right now, all he has is a bull rush(very quick and powerful bull rush) If the light ever goes on for him, you are looking at a poor man's Haloti Ngata. A DE in a NT body. If he comes to NE, hopefully their DL coaches can mold him into something. He has an unbelievable amount of physical talent. I just don't know if he will ever reach his potential. He still seems raw after 4years in the league.
On the other hand, there is Tommy Kelly. I am pretty sure his time in Oakland is just about done and he has shown the ability to dominate(when he isn't doing something stupid). If Al Davis never signed TK to a Seymour like contract( I am exaggerating slightly), then I think everyone in Oakland would be happy with TK. Not overjoyed because he has lots of untapped potential also, but still they wouldn't want to drive him to the airport the way they do now. Kelly got the big contract and underperformed and became one of the poster children for the dysfunctional Raiders franchise. I think Reggie McKenzie will right the ship and hopefully Kelly will find a home (in New England for the right price) where they can take advantage of his skills. I know BB always liked him, so hopefully there is a fit there.
IMO, Martin has more potential but is still very raw. Kelly has performed much better in his career but still didn't reach all his potential yet. Either one should be able to give NE a big rotational DL for either the 3-4 or 4-3. Right now Kelly offers more pass rush and Martin is probably better against the run.
That is one reason I thought the Pats ought to look at Matt Shaughnessy before he signed with the Cards. At 285 lbs he is smaller than Kelly or Martin but is very stout against the run and also has shown some decent pass rushing skills (7 sacks in 2010) albeit sporadically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back