Welcome to PatsFans.com

Patriots reportedly interested in Chargers DE Vaughn Martin

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by FourierSeries, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FourierSeries

FourierSeries Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

2. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +469 / 6 / -7

Never even heard of this guy.
  3. Gronkandez

Gronkandez Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2 / -6

and with the money the Patriots saved on Wes Welker and Tom Brady......
  4. Big-T

Big-T On the Roster

Ratings:
    +462 / 12 / -4

#51 Jersey

Well, he has a claim to fame.

6'4" 327lbs so he would be a DT in NE I'd imagine.

3 sacks and a forced fumble since he was drafted.
  5. Marqui

Marqui Rookie

Ratings:
    +171 / 6 / -1

They do need DT help.
  6. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +147 / 8 / -13

Another pony...albeit a very big pony
  7. Sicilian

Sicilian On the Roster

Ratings:
    +380 / 1 / -2

Why not? Gotta get to 90 bodies for preseason somehow, might as well add some competition to the middle.
  8. SteveKiner

SteveKiner Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree with that. Unfortunately, Vaughn Martin has been a little disappointing the past couple years. A change of scenery might be what he needs, however. He has flashed some talent at times.

If I was BB, I would look at Tommy Kelly when the Raiders get around to releasing him. Has a big contract that he has failed to live up to, but BB always spoke highly of him and he certainly has the talent to make an impact. If he would come in on a prove it deal, he would be the way I would go.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  9. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 7 / -2

#12 Jersey

Do you even realize how little sense this post makes?
  10. RodThePat

RodThePat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Is this going to be your deafult response to every article that says the Patriots are interested in a player that isn't Larry Fitzgerald or Darrelle Revis? Jesus christ...
  11. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

Noticed his 40 time for a 330 lb guy was impressive, so went to his WIKI. Much respect to poster Steve Kiner if he has direct knowledge, but this guys combination of size/speed/smarts seems to indicate diamond in the rough possibilities...

Vaughn Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +636 / 6 / -9

#75 Jersey

A quick news scan reveals SD wants to keep him and a few teams besides the Patriots are interested. Not a star, but not available for nothing either.
  13. JackBauer

JackBauer On the Roster

Ratings:
    +469 / 6 / -7

'tis the season to whine.
  14. Brady6

Brady6 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +989 / 90 / -133

#12 Jersey

15. JMC00

JMC00 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +477 / 12 / -10

Where have I heard someone refer to players the Patriots bring in as ponies? Oh ya Douche and Squeaky.

You must have been really upset when you tuned in yesterday and it was Bertrand and Wiggins.
  16. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +810 / 5 / -3

Here is Scout Inc's take on him:

NFL Free-Agent Tracker - ESPN
  17. PatsWickedPissah

PatsWickedPissah PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,309 / 15 / -11

Disable Jersey

As long as he's no relation whatsoever to 2002 Patriot Steve Martin, I'm good
  18. signbabybrady

signbabybrady On the Roster

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1

#24 Jersey

Sounds like he would be competition for Love, Deadrick, Francis and Armstead. With him or love probably being on the top.

This sounds like a good move if not to pricey and more importantly not in place of a pass rusher.
  19. Brady_to_Moss

Brady_to_Moss Revis Island is here PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 5 / -1

#95 Jersey

So is he a DE or DT?
  20. SteveKiner

SteveKiner Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ray, I agree he is a diamond in the rough. For various reasons, I have followed the AFC West fairly closely the past few years. IMO, the Chargers thought they got a steal when they selected Martin in the 4th round. Going by just measurable, he appeared to be an unbelievable prospect and he flashes his physical talent at times. I believe the Chargers want him back, but won't go overboard on a contract to keep him. I know the Pats are running more 4-3 now but I believe Martin could play in both a 3-4 or a 4-3. In a 3-4, he can play DE and some NT and in the 4-3 he would be DT. He is very strong against the run but despite his quickness, he gets very little pressure as a pass rusher. I don't know if he just needs to work on technique or what it is. Right now, all he has is a bull rush(very quick and powerful bull rush) If the light ever goes on for him, you are looking at a poor man's Haloti Ngata. A DE in a NT body. If he comes to NE, hopefully their DL coaches can mold him into something. He has an unbelievable amount of physical talent. I just don't know if he will ever reach his potential. He still seems raw after 4years in the league.
    On the other hand, there is Tommy Kelly. I am pretty sure his time in Oakland is just about done and he has shown the ability to dominate(when he isn't doing something stupid). If Al Davis never signed TK to a Seymour like contract( I am exaggerating slightly), then I think everyone in Oakland would be happy with TK. Not overjoyed because he has lots of untapped potential also, but still they wouldn't want to drive him to the airport the way they do now. Kelly got the big contract and underperformed and became one of the poster children for the dysfunctional Raiders franchise. I think Reggie McKenzie will right the ship and hopefully Kelly will find a home (in New England for the right price) where they can take advantage of his skills. I know BB always liked him, so hopefully there is a fit there.
    IMO, Martin has more potential but is still very raw. Kelly has performed much better in his career but still didn't reach all his potential yet. Either one should be able to give NE a big rotational DL for either the 3-4 or 4-3. Right now Kelly offers more pass rush and Martin is probably better against the run.
    That is one reason I thought the Pats ought to look at Matt Shaughnessy before he signed with the Cards. At 285 lbs he is smaller than Kelly or Martin but is very stout against the run and also has shown some decent pass rushing skills (7 sacks in 2010) albeit sporadically.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.