PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots release WR Anthony Gonzalez and sign Kentucky UDFA TE Nick Melillo

Status
Not open for further replies.

strngplyr

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
And then there were...

Well, I don't even know how many we have now, but one less WR.

Gonzalez didn't make it to TC.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss
Patriots announce the release of WR Anthony Gonzalez.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Re: And then there were...

Well, I don't even know how many we have now, but one less WR.

Gonzalez didn't make it to TC.

Maybe he made two mistakes at the OTA's and had to run two laps :rolleyes:

Maybe he made two mistakes at the OTA's and had to run two laps :rolleyes:

Wasn't at OTAs. Probably wasn't healthy.

anthony gonzales is the first of the wr's to kick the can

Must still be injured considering he wasnt at otas. I was pulling for him but hey i want the best wrs available for this team..

Doing my part to turn this into a 300 post wide receiver thread:

his days were numbered when they signed Gaffney. I'm sure they would have let them battle it out in TC had Gonzales shown he could be healthy enough to practice.

They had enough depth at WR to hold a spot open for a guy that is hurt. They will probably bring someone else in.

Re: anthony gonzales is the first of the wr's to kick the can

Did the Patriots release Gonzalez, because that's how the thread title reads.

I can't tell if you're stating an opinion or fact.

Edit, just saw the other thread where he was released.

Last edited:

Damn, I actually had high hopes for him for some unknown reason. Oh well...

As long as we're speculating, it's also a possibility that the Patriots have reached an agreement with another player, and somebody had to be released in order to make room for him.

As long as we're speculating, it's also a possibility that the Patriots have reached an agreement with another player, and somebody had to be released in order to make room for him.

Yeah, they just signed Dennard plus two others. Really needed TE and interior OL bodies.

Last edited:

So it's down to 8 fighting for 3-4 spots, imo, as I've got Welker/Lloyd/"Slater" as roster locks with the WR tag.

The New England Patriots announced the signings of unrestricted free agent OL Jamey Richard, rookie free agent TE Nick Melillo and seventh-round draft choice DB Alfonzo Dennard. In addition, the Patriots released WR Anthony Gonzalez.

Patriots Sign Three; Release WR Anthony Gonzalez

inconceivable-1.jpg

trolololololol

too bad... his light bulb trick would have lightened the mood in the locker room.

light.jpg

11-anthony-gonzalez-150.jpg

Last edited:
Re: anthony gonzales is the first of the wr's to kick the can

I seem to remember someone in another thread saying Trevor Scott was the Anthony Gonzalez of the defense. At this point ... sure hope not.

So it's down to 8 fighting for 3-4 spots, imo, as I've got Welker/Lloyd/"Slater" as roster locks with the WR tag.

Too bad. I was hopeful for Gonzalez, if not very confident. Hard to make the team from the training table.

Barring injury: Welker/Lloyd/Slater as locks. Gaffney as a near-lock. That leaves Branch, Stallworth, Ocho, Edelman and Ebert fighting for probably 2 spots. Big advantages to Branch and Edelman right now. Ebert will miss OTAs and minicamp, and hopefully will make it to the PS unless he pulls a major surprise.

Focusing closer on TE move - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

The Patriots announced the signing of rookie free agent tight end Nick Melillo on Tuesday, which is a minor move when viewed through a narrow lens.

But the addition of Melillo does highlight how Bill Belichick is managing the roster at tight end, with Rob Gronkowski still rehabbing from left ankle surgery and free-agent pick Daniel Fells sidelined with an undisclosed injury.

That has left third-year veteran Aaron Hernandez and rookie free agent Brad Herman as the lone pure tight ends on the field during organized team activities. Defensive lineman Alex Silvestro was taking reps at tight end last week.

The addition of Melillo seemingly hints that Gronkowski and Fells need more time. A cause for concern at this point? Probably not, but to get through the next two weeks of organized team activities and mandatory minicamp, reinforcements are needed.​

Add me to the list of people pulling for Gonzalez.

I wouldn't read too much into this on the Gronk front since I'm guessing having people practicing at the right positions during OTAs is more important to the team than taking a flyer on an injured guy trying to break into an overcrowded position.

They signed a 226-pound tight end with one college TD?

There must not be a lot of TE's willing to compete to be the fourth TE behind Gronk/Hernandez/Fells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing